[Huge failure] Open Call 3 [Why?]

What The Pumpkin King stated is at least partially true...

No need to be timid Rexy. :)

Everyone and their mother knows that my words were more than "partially true". That would be why nobody is discussing the matter with me or providing any counter-arguments.

Imperial Elite, a highly skilled team back in the day held the #1 spot for quite some time. One of the advantages of having the #1 spot is that when you are challenged, you get to choose the maps.

What maps did they choose, every time? Raindance... and Iceridge, again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

"Why the lack of variety?" you might ask...

They were playing to WIN.

They weren't thinking "Hey guys, let's choose a map at random to truly test our skill and see who the best team really is!"

They were thinking "Let's choose the maps that will surely allow us to win."

It is human nature to want to be the best, and show everyone that you are better. There is nothing wrong with it. It just means that people are only willing to accept changes that they feel will give them an advantage over others, otherwise they bitch and moan.

It's the same reason EVERY team that played against my old team on the map "Domino" or "Northern Lights" or any other "gay map" cried bloody murder about it... every... single... time.

Most generic Tribes players keen on hugging their e-packs, running routes, and chain whoring will not take kindly to being told they will be fighting indoors with shieldpacks, or that they will be playing on a map that makes them "think", "learn", or "try something new."

All anyone wants to hear is that the map they will be playing on is the one that they are the most familiar with and kick the most ass at.

But yeah, that was just the main reason, the other two reasons (lack of authority and sucky maps) still stand to be very true and equally as important.

I just checked out open call 3 and I will say that I was not very impressed. Gameplay-wise there is only really one worth playing (maybe two). The rest were just far too small. Visually though, they looked great, especially the bases. No offense to whoever made it though, thanks for all your hard work.

Tribes will never have any life breathed into it until there is an authority figure that has played Tribes, understands Tribes on a deep level, and creates something very high quality for us to enjoy, which most likely isn't coming any time soon...

fuk this cat knows his shit ;)

i agree with tpk , the current state of affairs is players will run from maps that they dont know every texture inside out, its a shame

we always chose SB ftw, then force them into a c&h map for the third...

Last edited:
tpk i do not read ur posts cuz u r an outdated former tribe with big dream and no influence

u do not know what ur talkin about altho i m sure u think u do

neway i read one sentence of ur post andit funny

u bitch that people do not kno new maps

then u say that IE was best because they mastered maps by playing them over and over

in other words i can beat you at every form of tribes that exists right now

u name the map and the mod and hte position

these days u r just a fucking newbie with a big mouth and nothing more

gtfo

there r tribes vets that r worth listening 2 and u r not one of them

gg

if u knew anything about LT then u would understand the scale of the maps

but u dont

and u r 2 dumb to realize ur own ignorance

i m not even goign 2 bring up ur comments about playing indoors

Interesting how you and Dare both take my on-topic posts to be personal attacks on your manhood that you feel the need to defend.

I don't feel that I have anything to prove... So judge me any way you like.

I will respond to the only part of your reply that had anything to do with my post.

u say that IE was best because they mastered maps by playing them over and over

Nope. I didn't say that.

Even if I had, that could be said to be true about pretty much any team ever.

I said that IE almost always chose the same two maps when defending, raidance, and iceridge. You are welcome to post OGL history if you think I am wrong. I would be interested to see as well.

Anyway, did you disagree with my main point that Tribes players reject new maps because of their desire to perform well, lack of authority, and sucky maps?

I think you actually agree with me... As does everyone else...

i'm not getting in the middle of this but please

domino and NL were your 'BEST' maps because no one else fucking played them

raindance and iceridge were played by everyone everywhere for years

therefor the situations are incomparable and yes everyone still thinks TF was cheap for doing that

therefor the situations are incomparable and yes everyone still thinks TF was cheap for doing that

someone just got typhonated

OC3 rocks: it's a credit to the community and several of the maps should be in the rotation.

What The Pumpkin King stated is at least partially true, and we can see that type of motivation beyond OC3 in this very thread as envy and jealousy rage. New maps might cause those that have convinced themselves they are totally awesome Tribes players to reassess. New maps will, especially in their early days, draw upon skills beyond what some think passes for skill: running the same routes over & over, and disc-jumping + cg whoring.

This community is plagued by sociopathic behavior. Note the recent total failure of a tournament: did even a single team assemble for any match? Incidentally two of the 'captains' of said tourney have used this thread as an opportunity to let jealousy and envy fly. When you have such people actively attempting to take 'leadership' roles it virtually guarantees that any endeavor that requires coordination and cooperation on the part of the community will fail.

In short: if OC3 failed (it didn't: the maps are too good to consider it a failure) it's because the community is mired in negativity and has nothing to do with OC3 in and of itself.

/thread

That's exactly what you are doing...

I'm very glad you spoke up though, because you have just illustrated my point to everyone perfectly.

The two situations are actually very comparable. Both competitive teams predictably chose the maps that they felt gave them the greatest advantage over other players.

Domino and NL were never our best maps, rollercoaster, pre-clusterfuck, was TF's best map. We chose Domino because many of us were very strong at indoor combat, which the map heavily favored. It was also fun as hell for us to play something new and different for a change and, most importantly, we knew that other teams would be even weaker than us on it due to lack of playtime and experience on the map. We knew it would take most players/teams out of their comfort zone and we were playing to WIN.

The main point I want to bring up here is that you have stated that it was "cheap" for our team to choose an official map, created by dynamix, dictated by the ladder authority figures to be in the official map rotation. The map was "legit" by every sense of the word, yet you all still cried like bitches, the predictable reaction that I have already pointed out in my previous post.

So the question is, why, if the map was official, legit, and in the ladder rotation, would anyone ever complain about ANY map being chosen?

The answer is... the map forced players to play at clear and obvious disadvantage. It forced you to play in a way that you weren't used to, where you could not perform your best.

Even in 2001, the overwhelming majority of the community was so steadfastly against any new maps whatsoever.

It was the "everything that is new makes my pussy hurt" attitude that allowed Tribes to stop evolving in a forward direction, and start dying, which was the saddest thing to me at the time. We needed new maps, and new life to be injected into the game, but we let our ego, vanity, and close-minded thinking smother out our chance of forward evolution.

To anyone that is toying with the idea of making new maps for T1, seriously don't bother because they will never be accepted by this community of players... ever... period.

Tribes players have been clinging tenaciously to their Stonehenge teddy bear since the dawn of time...

It's clear that Tribes players, even more so today, just want everything fed to them...

Here is a great example ----> [Netset] Best settings? [Answer found] by Scuzzle - TribalWar Forums

Back