Vengeance Vengeance

You look liek the stupid fuck. Last i checked you werent involved with VUG nor have you been involved in a major marketing campaign for a game that i have seen, maybe i missed it if so please do. You make posts about Marweas, Thrax etc without knowing jack shit of what they were asked to do told to do and erquired to do. So until u have ever bit of info which u never will stfu and go away this sint about whos to blame.

j_thunders said:
Nice to know we have a marketing guru here at TW. If only they would have listened to NetAtNite we wouldn't be in this awful mess.

Exactly!

or they could have listened to any person with some talent in sales. I could have improved T:V's sales quite a bit. Someone with more experience then me could have made it a great success. The people they had, Guy et al, failed miserably! Why are you arguing this point? Do you think they did a good job? Was 43k a huge success? Just answer that question! I have never suggested that I was the great 'fix' for this game. I merely suggest that anyone with some business sense would have done far better then Guy Welch did.

Let me ask you this...Why are you all defending the very people that screwed you? This is why VUG gets away with this. Too many of you are willing to defend a company that took your money and then told you to go eff yourselves. Amazing.

LightingBlast said:
You look liek the stupid fuck. Last i checked you werent involved with VUG nor have you been involved in a major marketing campaign for a game that i have seen, maybe i missed it if so please do. You make posts about Marweas, Thrax etc without knowing jack shit of what they were asked to do told to do and erquired to do. So until u have ever bit of info which u never will stfu and go away this sint about whos to blame.

Was that english? Tell your teachers to work a little harder! Also, show me where I mentioned Thrax.

I don't think they're defending them exactly, just attacking you.

I honestly stopped caring, but thats what it looks like.

Rev_Night said:
what would you have done better? Not generalizations, but specifically?

Ahhh, a good question for a change! Just for starters Rev, I would have done the following:

As it became clear that there were problems with T:V, Guy (or marketing dept.) could have posted here and in official forums that a patch was forth-coming (which they did).

As VUG realized that sales were not what they needed to be, a good marketer might have entered the forums and started helping the community with the efforts already underway (ie the 83 community maps so far). A good marketer would have started listing the map-makers on their site which leads to props for the map-makers and an incentive for more community maps to be made.

VUG marketers could then have arranged for scrims with members of the community and themselves. Suddenly the community begins to feel some ownership/participation in the game and are more willing to work with VUG. VUG in turn can see for themselves what the community is complaining about.

Good marketers would have been honest about the patch. Instead of promising it several times and then staying silent for 2+ months with no patch, they could have told the community that they were having trouble justifying the cost of the patch. They could have explained their actions. They could have asked the community for help. They could have asked the community to participate in a recruitment drive. Cheap prizes to be given to those who put in the best effort.

There is just so much more. I am not prepared to write a book on the subject of their failure. If you want to join me in teamspeak I will tell you the rest. In 20 minutes I will show you 20 ways they failed. And all the solutions require no money down.

Honestly, if you don't want to hear it from me, just ask anyone who is moderately successful in sales...of any kind because sales principles remain the same.

Last edited:
Here's what I think, since you asked. I think you are coming across as kind of a dick with this whole marketing tangent -- just kind of full of yourself and over the top. And I think you think you know more than you actually do about the marketing of T:V and probably marketing in general. But that's what I think about you. What I think about the subject matter of your posts is that there was a hell of a lot more wrong with T:V than simply whatever marketing failures you think you have identified. More specifically as to what I think, there was a weakness in the gameplay that caused people who really wanted to like the game not to. There remains an undisputable fact that even as sales of the game grew, the total number of people playing the game declined, or at best, remained flat. And because that fact has nothing whatsoever to do with the marketing of the game, the entire conversation about marketing is kind of besides the point.

j_thunders said:
Here's what I think, since you asked. I think you are coming across as kind of a dick with this whole marketing tangent -- just kind of full of yourself and over the top. And I think you think you know more than you actually do about the marketing of T:V and probably marketing in general. But that's what I think about you. What I think about the subject matter of your posts is that there was a hell of a lot more wrong with T:V than simply whatever marketing failures you think you have identified. More specifically as to what I think, there was a weakness in the gameplay that caused people who really wanted to like the game not to. There remains an undisputable fact that even as sales of the game grew, the total number of people playing the game declined, or at best, remained flat. And because that fact has nothing whatsoever to do with the marketing of the game, the entire conversation about marketing is kind of besides the point.

Read the thread above this one. Then tell me where I suggested that I could turn this into a best selling game. Then tell me how you might know more about marketing then me. You all question my schooling and I have told you. 3 year diploma and 6 years running a successful business plus many other years working for other companies. Your experience is what? What do you bring to the table that makes you so smart?

And J-thunders, again, I didn't say I could turn the game into a good one that everyone wanted to play. I DID say that I could NOT turn the game into a million unit seller. I DID say that there were millions of people that could do more for this game then I could. I merely said that I could do a better job then Guy Welch. They sold 43k copies of the game. Any first year marketer could do better.

What part of this don't you understand?

Anyway, I have spent way more time then I should have on this. I will end my posts in this thread by suggesting the following: Why is it no-one from VUG/IG marketing dept's have come to challenge my contentions? Marweas has posted at great length his plans to screw his former employer (and yet you defend him) and Guy has posted once then disappeared. Why are they not responding? If they did such a great job promoting their failure, why are they not here telling me how bright they are? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Last edited:
It is not my practice to brag about my professional and/or educational credentials in a gaming forum. You asked what I thought, I put it up. There it is.

NetAtNite said:
Ahhh, a good question for a change! Just for starters Rev, I would have done the following:

As it became clear that there were problems with T:V, Guy (or marketing dept.) could have posted here and in official forums that a patch was forth-coming (which they did).

As VUG realized that sales were not what they needed to be, a good marketer might have entered the forums and started helping the community with the efforts already underway (ie the 83 community maps so far). A good marketer would have started listing the map-makers on their site which leads to props for the map-makers and an incentive for more community maps to be made.

VUG marketers could then have arranged for scrims with members of the community and themselves. Suddenly the community begins to feel some ownership/participation in the game and are more willing to work with VUG. VUG in turn can see for themselves what the community is complaining about.

Good marketers would have been honest about the patch. Instead of promising it several times and then staying silent for 2+ months with no patch, they could have told the community that they were having trouble justifying the cost of the patch. They could have explained their actions. They could have asked the community for help. They could have asked the community to participate in a recruitment drive. Cheap prizes to be given to those who put in the best effort.

There is just so much more. I am not prepared to write a book on the subject of their failure. If you want to join me in teamspeak I will tell you the rest. In 20 minutes I will show you 20 ways they failed. And all the solutions require no money down.

Honestly, if you don't want to hear it from me, just ask anyone who is moderately successful in sales...of any kind because sales principles remain the same.

Those are some very pretty ideas and in an ideal world would have worked, Problem is this is Tribalwar, home of "tear it down to look cool" VUG and Sierra used to post here alot more than they do now they did not stop due to the state of T:V they stopped due to 3/4 of the members making idiotic attacks and basically showing them that their presense was not appreciated. Hell there was such a big outcry over something as idiotic as the targeting laser not being included that at least one thread was locked, which caused even more problems.

You say the marketers should have been honest about the patch, I agree but how do you know they were even allowed to talk about it until it was announced? Do you know the chain of command at VUG? I don't. You may have some experience in sales, but you obviously do not have any experience in a large buisiness enviroment. Marketing can only say what the company deems acceptable to say. And large companies are notorious for keeping secrets. This allows them to change their mind and reverse decisions without having to backtrack. Hell there is no proof when the decision was made to dump the patch until that information is made public (if it ever is) you are running on assumptions.

As for the scrim thing, That happened at E3 but between IG and the Tribalwar/WOFN staff. We videotaped it (I think Colosus still has it but I am not sure). Once the demo was released and the public beta was started negative comments started popping up on Tribalwar, some of the concerns were real most of them were people saying they had no faith in the project or saying they would not buy it and still others were just being dicks which is all a good number of the posters here are capable of.

As for them having trouble justifying the cost of the patch, Have you ever heard of a company admitting that they made a mistake and their product sucks? that is reverse marketing there buddy and it was just not going to happen.

Have the community participate in a recruitment drive?? damn you must be new. They release a game that has several problems to a group of consumers that expect perfection from the get go and are basically hostile to begin with then expect them to help sell more? Key word again, This is Tribalwar that is not going to happen.

I am not replying to attack you, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy but you also seem to be very unfamiliar with this board and the people that post here. I am sure your ideas would work with a game community that didn't already have one sequal released with massive problems. This community is jaded and is proud of it.

NetAtNite said:
Read my posts you stupid fuck. Do I have a marketing degree? Yes I do. Read the last few posts genius. God, some of you idiots are remarkably dumb. And I am not attacking Marweas (who was fired), I am pointing out that Guy Welch and anyone associated with marketing T:V failed miserably. Disagree? Explain the sales Einstein.

Actually, I was laid off in a centralization completely unrelated to Tribes.

There were a lot of people at TW who had a very open, inside look on the development of T:V. They visited the offices, chatted with us, came to our houses for barbeques, and tested with us.

You weren't one of them.

And if you really have a marketing degree and some experience under your belt, surely you understand that blaming marketing for the under-performance of a piece of software with a 3-year turn made within a multinational conglomerate that concerns itself with everthing from sewers to books and a volatile retail channel, makes you sounds like a... well... a...

member.

Last edited:
Can someone please post cliffs, on Marweas's 3 plans. I really don't feel like reading all 23 pages. Hell, you can make up the cliffs yourself, just put some god damn cliffs down pleaseee.

Marweas said:
Actually, I was laid off in a centralization completely unrelated to Tribes.

There were a lot of people at TW who had a very open, inside look on the development of TW. They visited the offices, chatted with us, came to our houses for barbeques, and tested with us.

You weren't one of them.

And if you really have a marketing degree and some experience under your belt, surely you understand that blaming marketing for the under-performance of a piece of software with a 3-year turn made within a multinational conglomerate that concerns itself with everthing from sewers to books and a volatile retail channel, makes you sounds like a... well... a...

member.

Weas dropped a :member: on j())())

Back