Reload this Page WotLK info
Page 3 of 4
Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
41 - 07-02-2008, 14:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
One is a polished, mature game, one is a buggy, poorly thought out pile of crap. Not sure that's the comparison you were going for.
PvP system is proof enough, especially with "hardcore" PvPers spiel'ing about it since the game game out. EQ you lost experience, UO you stood to lose your gear. And in WoW, a bit of time and that's about it. Only teens and younger kids would be furious about losing any of their epics to PvP but I suppose that's the very reason it's as successful as it is today. Without fear of losing anything to PvP it gives a lot more incentive for people to stay and grind.

As for your comparison, since I will assume you are as arrogant and superficial as ever and you think AoC is the buggy PoS game and WoW is the polished one. If that's the case, WoW was far from polished when it first came out. AoC has time to iron out the bugs but it won't be too long before they both will have to see what Mythic brings with WAR.

And as for Lich King, the lack of Ulda when planned proved Blizzard won't be fully ready for that release. I'm skeptical siege engines will actually be in there on release day, how long after release did it take them to implement BGs again? And wasn't that slated for release?

Sponsored Links
TonyElTigre
VeteranXX
Old
42 - 07-02-2008, 14:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
PvP system is proof enough, especially with "hardcore" PvPers spiel'ing about it since the game game out. EQ you lost experience, UO you stood to lose your gear. And in WoW, a bit of time and that's about it. Only teens and younger kids would be furious about losing any of their epics to PvP but I suppose that's the very reason it's as successful as it is today. Without fear of losing anything to PvP it gives a lot more incentive for people to stay and grind.

As for your comparison, since I will assume you are as arrogant and superficial as ever and you think AoC is the buggy PoS game and WoW is the polished one. If that's the case, WoW was far from polished when it first came out. AoC has time to iron out the bugs but it won't be too long before they both will have to see what Mythic brings with WAR.

And as for Lich King, the lack of Ulda when planned proved Blizzard won't be fully ready for that release. I'm skeptical siege engines will actually be in there on release day, how long after release did it take them to implement BGs again? And wasn't that slated for release?

what do you lose dying in AOC? I mean since AOC is "REAL PVP"

people complain about wow balance while playing a game with no balance at all (to escape the lack of balance?)

people complain about carebear pvp and move on to a game with carebear pvp

Equality
VeteranX
Old
43 - 07-02-2008, 14:20
Siege weapons are ALREADY in the alpha. There is a quest where you get in tank and need to kill like 100 scourge. Before you start saying **** make sure you know what you are talking about. They are not sure Uldum is going to be in WOTLK at all, not its being dropped from release. Blizzard is not sure they are going to add it in at all. Perhaps they have plans for it in another expansion.

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
44 - 07-02-2008, 14:47
Quote:
So is that why dying matters even LESS in AoC? I used to kill myself on purpose as a form of travel because it was faster. Neither game has anything even resembling "consequences", but Conan is more friendly than WoW in that regard.

Quote:
First off, it doesn't matter what WoW was like *then*, it matters what WoW is like *now*. AoC may turn out to be amazing. I doubt it, but it's possible. There's a lot of "bugs" in AoC that aren't even bugs, they're just horrible design decisions that prove the devs aren't very good.

UI? Horrible.

Percentage based sprint? Seriously, who couldn't have seen the problem with that after a 5 minute brainstorm. "lol let's make everyone run the same distance, but if you actually catch someone as melee, you get to autoattack! Yeah!"

Not to mention memory leaks, their nerf/buff decisions which seem shotgun at best, etc. Funcom has a bad track record, and AoC didn't do a whole lot to dissuade me from that opinion.

And for the record, WoW was a hell of a lot more polished at release. The only *major* problem was server stability, which isn't even a design/game problem per se, it's more of a "****, we didn't think 2 million people would sign up" problem.

Edit: Not sure how I forgot two of the best ones!

Gear that does nothing.
- Awesome, my new BP has 14 Strength on it!
- What's that do?
- Uh... nothing, as far as I can tell.

Complete character imbalance. Did you roll a female HoX? Barbarian? Grats, you inherently suck ass, and even a poorly played male of the same class will crush you. Happy Conaning!

Last edited by PessimiStick; 07-02-2008 at 14:49..
Ciceron
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
45 - 07-02-2008, 14:49
Uldum seems to have been an afterthought considering Ulduar is already in.

Wouldn't mind seeing it in, but also won't mind waiting till the next XP or whatever.

I just wan't to finish the ****ing Discs of Norgannan chain. That Tauren ***** better have a quest for me when I hit 80.

Last edited by Ciceron; 07-02-2008 at 14:51..
GeneralHell
VeteranXV
Old
46 - 07-02-2008, 17:02
I don't get why so many people ***** about Uldum.

WoW is where it is now because it's the best there is out there. Sorry but anyone who cries about WoW's faults and then compares it to another (any other) mmo is only doing their argument a disservice. Why? Because until another mmo comes along that can boast WoW's success nothing that can be complained about is anything more than whining. And I have a feeling WoW's success will only be surpassed by another blizzard title.

Also, I love how Feannag starts an argument and ends up adding counterpoints to his own damn post in the same reply.

Shoddy
VeteranX
Old
47 - 07-02-2008, 19:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralHell View Post
Because until another mmo comes along that can boast WoW's success nothing that can be complained about is anything more than whining.
Discussions about quality do not begin and end with popularity.

Mharrman
VeteranXV
Old
48 - 07-02-2008, 19:47
Quote:

I figured adults would be for a system that dosent hinder progression because of death. I use to think such a huge risk/reward system was cool when i was in HS/college then i grew up. To a person with a career and other obligations MMO's are already a huge time sink, the average mmo gamer dosnt mind taking his time to get somewhere, they do mind losing something they worked hours to get on a whim.

WOW was designed to try to allow casual players to enjoy the game while at the same time letting "hardcore" players waste days of their lives to get the shiny orange items. The WOTLK's raid/dungeon changes seem to reflect on the fact it was extremely difficult for casual players to make it past kara. The fact that they do their best to accommodate the causal player is why WOW is the most popular mmo.

GeneralHell
VeteranXV
Old
49 - 07-02-2008, 20:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoddy View Post
Discussions about quality do not begin and end with popularity.
If you want to discuss quality then perhaps discussions about MMOs or video games in general aren't exactly the right subjects. No matter how you put it someone will always ***** about something. It's about what gets the closest to ideal for most people not what gets the closest to ideal for some. Even then any "quality" mmo is always changing.

I'm sure there's a Faberge egg forum out there somewhere though

SkivviS
VeteranX
Old
50 - 07-12-2008, 17:11
so i heard something about a graphics update with WotLK....guess that's not in the works? cant find anything about it

Ciceron
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
51 - 07-12-2008, 18:19
AFAIK, character shadows aren't simply blobs anymore and they look like your character and follow their actions.

Also, Paladin info is delayed because they are pretty much reworking the entire class.

Last edited by Ciceron; 07-12-2008 at 18:26..
Surge
VeteranX
Old
52 - 07-12-2008, 18:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkivviS View Post
so i heard something about a graphics update with WotLK....guess that's not in the works? cant find anything about it
i was reading about changes to shadows and saw a screenshot of how fire will look

dunno about anything else

G-Force
VeteranXX
Old
53 - 07-12-2008, 22:21
the only company that can own blizzard is blizzard itself

say what you will about them...they put out high quality, FUN, games that anyone can enjoy, from young to old.

Hell, how many people STILL play Diablo 2?

Looking forward to WOTLK and Diablo 3. Bye bye life.

Equality
VeteranX
Old
54 - 07-12-2008, 23:05
Wow just recently hit 11 million subscribers, AOC hasnt dented it at all.

Die Hard
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
55 - 07-13-2008, 00:22
Canceled my aoc sub, when every patch broke more **** than fixed is a good sign to stop.

slick spic
VeteranX
Old
56 - 07-13-2008, 01:35
daoc seemed like that for a long time. and there were always problems w/ balance. every patch that fixed one thing seemed to break 2 or 3 more. took a long time for things to settle down in daoc to where the game was smooth and ran well. balance issues continued for a long time, though

i dunno much about aoc, but i'm willing to bet it's a lot like daoc was at the start, gameplay wise

Feannag
VeteranXV
Old
57 - 07-13-2008, 02:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkivviS View Post
I wouldn't be anticipating anything huge, even if that were the case. I would think if they wanted to improve the graphics that much they'd just wait until WoW2.

SkivviS
VeteranX
Old
58 - 07-13-2008, 05:13
it's cool that they are improving shadows and fire though, but if they do that i hope they improve the one thing that is really dating the engine and that is water

Heimdal
VeteranXV
Old
59 - 07-13-2008, 05:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralHell View Post
WoW is where it is now because it's the best there is out there. Sorry but anyone who cries about WoW's faults and then compares it to another (any other) mmo is only doing their argument a disservice. Why? Because until another mmo comes along that can boast WoW's success nothing that can be complained about is anything more than whining. And I have a feeling WoW's success will only be surpassed by another blizzard title.
ehhhh popularity doesn't make it the best in terms of game play. there are a few MMO's i, and probably a lot of other, prefer. the sad thing is that those MMO's don't have many people playing them anymore. a lot of people went to wow, aoc, etc and it really separates people from the games. makes it hard to fill the gap back if you're not as popular as wow is both here and with those crazy asians.

because of it's popularity success, and the fact that it's Blizzard and they market out the ass, it does have a ton of players. when was the last time you saw a DAoC, EQ, or whatever other MMO get advertised on television? people will eat that **** up. i know plenty of people that have never even played any online game that picked up WoW. these are the people that might try a superior game (game play wise, pvp and such) like DAoC for instance, and say it's horrible. when anyone that has played the old MMO's before WoW, would probably agree that their time in those other ones can't be topped with WoW.

that of course doesn't change the fact that wow is a big success, just thought i'd toss that in there. there isn't another MMO, and probably never will be, that can top WoW's player base. i can give you that. but they can boast a better game overall at least :p

GeneralHell
VeteranXV
Old
60 - 07-13-2008, 06:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdal View Post
ehhhh popularity doesn't make it the best in terms of game play. there are a few MMO's i, and probably a lot of other, prefer. the sad thing is that those MMO's don't have many people playing them anymore. a lot of people went to wow, aoc, etc and it really separates people from the games. makes it hard to fill the gap back if you're not as popular as wow is both here and with those crazy asians.

because of it's popularity success, and the fact that it's Blizzard and they market out the ass, it does have a ton of players. when was the last time you saw a DAoC, EQ, or whatever other MMO get advertised on television? people will eat that **** up. i know plenty of people that have never even played any online game that picked up WoW. these are the people that might try a superior game (game play wise, pvp and such) like DAoC for instance, and say it's horrible. when anyone that has played the old MMO's before WoW, would probably agree that their time in those other ones can't be topped with WoW.

that of course doesn't change the fact that wow is a big success, just thought i'd toss that in there. there isn't another MMO, and probably never will be, that can top WoW's player base. i can give you that. but they can boast a better game overall at least :p
Yea, you're probably right about gameplay but so what? Bottom line is no one's going to play an MMO that doesn't live up to the definition. We aren't comparing fine wine or antique tapestries here are we? We're comparing ever-evolving games. Sure some parts of WoW may be sub par when compared to others but it doesn't mean things can't get better or worse. It's a pointless argument altogether.

The fact is this is a supremely popular computer game and it defines MMO. It's the best there is because of that. 10+ million people play it and I'm sure the majority think it's the cat's meow. Who wants to play a graphically and gameplay superior MMO that's relatively deserted? Sure you'll have great fun by yourself or any friends you can con into it but I can think of at least 3 other genres that are free to play and can deliver equal amounts of fun.

MMOs I've played, fyi: EQ, RO, AO, EVE, DAoC, AoC, WoW. I bought AoC on release and gave it away a month later. I'll most likely give WAR a shot too.

Page 3 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > World of Warcraft
Reload this Page WotLK info

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kahula lays jew eggs , wotlk