Reload this Page [Vid]Reno Air Race Plane crash
Page 9 of 10
Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
161 - 09-19-2011, 21:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aur0ra View Post
Eggi is an engineer for Boeing (I think?), and although I often disagree with him, he appears to be a bright knowledgeable person often with credible opinions.
Yeah, I'm an aero engineer @ boeing. I have a fairly solid aero background from school but my work isnt in aerodynamics, we just have to understand it for our work :x That doesn't mean I don't get things wrong from time to time.

Regardless, an accident like this interests me as an aviation enthusiast

Sponsored Links
LogRoller
VeteranXX
Old
162 - 09-19-2011, 21:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
"Also, you all of you 911 truthers out there...notice how that plane traveling at this speed leaves very few pieces. Don't give me crap about size of aircraft because the laws of physics apply and size doesn't matter."

Awesome.
clearly the plane disappeared into a wormhole caused by the large hadron collider while the gummint stuck a truck full of explosives there in the audience while everyone was looking up at the planes.

many years in the future, the 74 year old pilot will be debriefed by the temporal correction agency to subsequently be redeployed in a continuity project to fly a p-51 into the ww1 battle of canal du nord, where it was determined that the canadian victory in overtaking the german high ground was mathematically impossible, and therefore required air support to ensure that history follows the path required by the american military industrial complex.

this sort of patchwork happens all of the time. you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs.

Makasuro
VeteranXX
Old
163 - 09-19-2011, 22:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogRoller View Post
clearly the plane disappeared into a wormhole caused by the large hadron collider while the gummint stuck a truck full of explosives there in the audience while everyone was looking up at the planes.

many years in the future, the 74 year old pilot will be debriefed by the temporal correction agency to subsequently be redeployed in a continuity project to fly a p-51 into the ww1 battle of canal du nord, where it was determined that the canadian victory in overtaking the german high ground was mathematically impossible, and therefore required air support to ensure that history follows the path required by the american military industrial complex.

this sort of patchwork happens all of the time. you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs.
Win

Odio
VeteranXV
Old
164 - 09-20-2011, 00:09
I would watch that movie.

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
165 - 09-20-2011, 02:31
**** I agree with Aurora on something.

def
VeteranXX
Old
166 - 09-20-2011, 02:35
Quote:
Strega ... (He might be gay though, i don't remember).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
**** I agree with Aurora on something.
O_o

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
167 - 09-20-2011, 03:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
O_o
Clever girl...

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
168 - 09-20-2011, 05:22
Old people take more risks. Where I come from, people over 60 have a higher incidence rate on construction sites than the 'high risk' young people in the 18-25 bracket. This concept applies to lots of things. Old people get complacent and think it will all be ok, cause it's always been ok. I think age is a factor.

BIGSEX_
Veteran++
Old
169 - 09-20-2011, 05:37
That closeup video is nightmarish

aur0ra
VeteranXV
Old
170 - 09-20-2011, 08:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
The news said there was an onboard recording to a memory card as well as a real time telemetry stream to his crew, so there's a good chance they'll be able to figure out what happened.
I really doubt its anything more than a trend monitoring system for the engine. Those systems are very common on light aircraft but don't record information about flight instruments or flight controls. Accident is airframe related. I could be wrong though.

The Magical Zoo
VeteranXV
Old
171 - 09-20-2011, 10:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
here is a crazy video (work safe...shows close up of the plane crashing into the pavement)

LiveLeak.com - HOLY CRAP Video of Reno Airshow Crash
Wow

Travace
VeteranXV
Old
172 - 09-20-2011, 10:17
the dude from my dirtbike forums who flys these was 200 ft from the crash. He said he got soaked in aviation fuel ... ****in nuts

naptown
VeteranXV
Old
173 - 09-20-2011, 10:19
haha that is ****ing hilarious

Zombee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
174 - 09-20-2011, 11:02
Quote:

Strega is a commercial pilot, although I can't remember who he fly's for (He might be gay though, i don't remember).
Eggi is an engineer for Boeing (I think?), and although I often disagree with him, he appears to be a bright knowledgeable person often with credible opinions.
I fly a twin engine turbine for an airline in Canada, and am not long removed from a few seasons of bush flying.
Hyperlite is an Alaskan bush pilot (although idk if he posted in this thread)
I guess that means your opinion is worth more than ours?
Fair enough. I partially retract my statements.

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
175 - 09-20-2011, 15:25
Quote:
A few hints of just how crucial the data from Leeward***8217;s airplane might be emerged Monday when a few details from the telemetry information were reported by a crewmember of a different airplane. They included an 11-G pull up, the temporary loss of power at the top of the climb (presumably as the fuel was interrupted) and then the resumption of power as the airplane started back down. The data also showed that the engine was putting out very high power all the way down.

Another incident in another highly modified Mustang involving the racer Voodoo back in 1998 has also come to the NTSB***8217;s attention. In that incident, pilot Bob Hannah was racing on the back side of the course when the airplane lost a trim tab. Voodoo immediately pitched up at what Hannah estimated as more than 10 Gs, at which point he lost consciousness. By the time he came to, Voodoo had climbed to 9,000 feet, and he was able to bring the airplane back in for an uneventful landing. A third Mustang event, the fatal crash of Miss Ashley II a year later, was determined by the NTSB to have been caused most probably by flutter. That highly modified P-51 disintegrated in flight, killing pilot Gary Levitz.
Source

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
176 - 09-20-2011, 15:36
Additional Comments:

Age often causes pilots to be more capable of handling positive Gs than younger pilots. Old men and women who have plugged up arteries and veins tolerate rapid G onset better because the blood won't drain out of the head very fast and the high heart rates help put it back if it does. This might have been a sudden, quite high G event that would have taken any pilot, of any age, out of the control loop for a period longer than was available before the airplane hit the ground.

The loss of an elevator trim tab will have different effects based on the type of airplane, the design of the system and the manner in which the elevator is balanced. It appears that the tab loss will cause the elevator to go to neutral, which, at high speed, will result in a very high G pitch up.

In other airplanes that do not operate at speeds as high as the P-51 the elevator trim tab may be necessary to prevent elevator flutter. An example is the Cessna 441. In about 1975 or so, one of the earliest production models (single-digit serial number) lost the elevator trim tab actuator while in level cruise in clear air. The tab fluttered immediately and departed, which drove the elevator into flutter and it departed the airframe. The airplane immediately pitched down at such a high g load that all of the occupants were apparently killed by impact with the cabin ceiling.

A note on Bob Hannah's P-51 that had a trim tab loss and radical pitch up and climb - when Bob regained consciousness he was bent down and wedged against the instrument panel. His helmet prevented a massive head injury and he had to work himself free before he could sit up and see to fly the airplane. One wonders if such a thing happened to Jimmy Leeward and caused some aileron input leading to the observed roll or if the pull up was so strong that it stalled the wing (the P-51 has a VERY abrupt stall, and the accelerated stall is just plain nasty) leading to the roll off and ensuing very steep dive - also consistent with incipient spin, but without the time and altitude to develop much rotation (the P-51 loses a bunch of altitude in a spin entry).

As an aside (and I may have missed it on the thread) the tailwheel on a P-51 is held up via an over-center mechanism, it does not have a lock the way a T-6 does. A high G event can cause it to extend. In Bob Hannah's event at Reno the tailwheel did extend.

ScooBySnaCk
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
177 - 09-20-2011, 15:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
Additional Comments:

Age often causes pilots to be more capable of handling positive Gs than younger pilots. Old men and women who have plugged up arteries and veins tolerate rapid G onset better because the blood won't drain out of the head very fast and the high heart rates help put it back if it does.
So pilots should have a high cholesterol diet? I am halfway there Goose!

Strega
VeteranXV
Old
178 - 09-20-2011, 15:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooBySnaCk View Post
So pilots should have a high cholesterol diet? I am halfway there Goose!
Well, it does help with rapid G outs =)

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
179 - 09-20-2011, 16:06
Didn't help with old Porkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwYj4AqB6Q

ScooBySnaCk
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
180 - 09-20-2011, 16:10