Travel Credit Cards

Vance

Veteran XX
Our midsize company recently transitioned from corporate owned MasterCards which were for all travel expenses to Amex Green Corporate cards which are in our names and our responsibility to pay on time.

The change from MC to Amex itself has been a pain a number of times with business not accepting it. The fact that its now in my name but I don't reap any card benefits is pretty annoying. So is the fact that the approval chain to get the card paid can be 10+ days and I find myself floating payments and having corporate reimburse me instead.

We have the option to use our own credit cards and be reimbursed if we want - I think I know some guys who couldn't get approved for the Corp Amex who are stuck with that as their only option. I don't think it will be an issue to continually float payments for a personal card and get reimbursed semi timely from corporate. Not sure if there's any horror stories going this route.

Couple of coworkers are using Chase Sapphire Reserve cards and say its great. $550 annual fee seems steep but you get more points than most and a 300 annual travel credit on top of some other nice perks.

Anyone using any card they love or recommend?

The Amazon card from Chase doesn't incur any fees from use outside of the US. It doesn't have an annual fee. No travel points though.

A few thoughts...

If you decide to stick with the Corporate AMEX you probably have the option of upgrading it to the Corporate Gold card (paying the annual fee yourself) that will allow you to accumulate rewards on it. It's a $95 annual fee and the points can be transferred to a number of different frequent flyer programs. This is (probably) not the best option for you but if it is easier / more agreeable for you to stick with a corporate AMEX then it is not a bad option.

If you go the route of putting your work charges against a personal card then you'll want to look at what airlines / hotel chains you use most often. Of the $495 / yr cards the best options are the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the AMEX Platinum and they are most valuable on different airlines / hotel chains. There's also a $95 / yr Chase Sapphire card that is nice.

I am a heavy United / Star Alliance and Marriott user so I am actually just holding the United MileagePlus and Marriott Bonvoy cards right now. Both are $95 / yr but the MileagePlus card gets me two club passes per year and covers Global Entry / TSA PreCheck and the Bonvoy card gives me a free stay each year so the annual fees are covered in benefits.

Best 3 are Sapphire Reserve, AMEX Platinum, AMEX Bonvoy (formerly SPG)

If its for business the Chase Ink and business AMEX Platinum Business

The Reserve more than pays for itself but if you cant get Reserve do the regular Sapphire for 95$

Most mileage cards suck

Amex gold is more of a dining card (best dining card)

Last edited:
A few thoughts...

If you decide to stick with the Corporate AMEX you probably have the option of upgrading it to the Corporate Gold card (paying the annual fee yourself) that will allow you to accumulate rewards on it. It's a $95 annual fee and the points can be transferred to a number of different frequent flyer programs. This is (probably) not the best option for you but if it is easier / more agreeable for you to stick with a corporate AMEX then it is not a bad option.

If you go the route of putting your work charges against a personal card then you'll want to look at what airlines / hotel chains you use most often. Of the $495 / yr cards the best options are the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the AMEX Platinum and they are most valuable on different airlines / hotel chains. There's also a $95 / yr Chase Sapphire card that is nice.

I am a heavy United / Star Alliance and Marriott user so I am actually just holding the United MileagePlus and Marriott Bonvoy cards right now. Both are $95 / yr but the MileagePlus card gets me two club passes per year and covers Global Entry / TSA PreCheck and the Bonvoy card gives me a free stay each year so the annual fees are covered in benefits.

I mostly fly United out of O'hare and stay at Hiltons for those reward programs. I used to stay at Marriot and after some stupid issue i had to deal with their terrible corporate customer service. Decided to try Hilton until they fuck up and so far its been good.

I noticed that you can 1:1 transfer points from the Chase card to various reward programs. Any details on that?

It seems like the chase points are worth 1c - 1.25c if using points on travel redemption. If you transfer to United is the point still worth 1c or are you losing value in the exchange?

great so if your company fucks up and dies they will destroy your credit too! i hate corp cards with ur name on it. during a company buy out my boss tried to buy a house and there was like 250k on the corp account and it denied him the house lol.

Being responsible to pay the bill seems sketchy to me tbh. We have the Amex Business gold card at my work. Occasionally someone doesn’t accept it. My name is on it, but it doesn’t show up on my credit as me being responsible for it. It does show up, but only as an authorized user. I just bought a house so I know it didn’t affect my credit

Chase Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% back on everything

Chase Freedom 5% rotating

Chase Sapphire Reserve (Dining,Travel 3x points) 1.5x for travel multiplier so if you send your Freedom Unlimited points here its 1.5% * 1.5 = 2.25% back on everything 5% * 1.5 = 7.5% if you find a category

If its business and you have access to Ink its even better send all those ink points

Nothing beats that Reserve right now but Platinum has a lot of perks and lounges and special services for people who travel frequently

The chase portal has travel partners a few of them have better than 1:1 conversion so yes you are better sending to the travel partner but be warned most of them make it difficult to use the points unless the flight done in advance or you get lucky and some of them (emirates) aren't worth sending

I prefer to use the portal directly although ive sent points to singapore air/iberia(british air)

Last edited:
And to answer your first question if your not totally idiotic with money and can float a month before being reimbursed then use your personal card and collect all those points �� unless you work for a small business that might go under or startup etc

Ive collected lots of UR points from abusing the system it's easy if you travel and use right cards

amex isnt worth it when you have to carry another card at all times as a backup

I mean even if you use any other of the top cards you'd have to carry a second card to max the benefits especially sapphire reserve -10GBP for this comment bro

i've floated 30k+ on a 2 month trip before on my personal card for them sweet points

just make sure you have enough to cover it or you'll end up paying interest

yeah ive floated 25K in emirates business class flights on my cards before just to get points

scary as fuck to open your card and see 30k in charges though but worth it for points

I use Chase Preferred instead of Reserve - starting Feb of this year, the Reserve isn't as good of a deal as it once was, since they increased the yearly fee by $100. Yeah, they give you Doordash pass (who cares, i compared it to grubhub regular and it seems to really only make sense if you are constantly ordering food) and I guess the Lyft discount might be worth it if you use it enough. Preferred gets doordash pass too, so far without any yearly fee increase, but we will see.

lmao yuppie scum bitching about their company card not being good enuff

china gonna stomp us pussies out co/so

I use Chase Preferred instead of Reserve - starting Feb of this year, the Reserve isn't as good of a deal as it once was, since they increased the yearly fee by $100. Yeah, they give you Doordash pass (who cares, i compared it to grubhub regular and it seems to really only make sense if you are constantly ordering food) and I guess the Lyft discount might be worth it if you use it enough. Preferred gets doordash pass too, so far without any yearly fee increase, but we will see.

This is dumb logic

It multiplies all your chase points by 1.5x

Yeah its not as good of a deal but your telling me the 1.5x multiplier isnt more than the 100$?

Back