[Internet] FCC Rules Against Net Neutrality

Bughead

Veteran XX
New York Times - In Policy Shift, FCC Will Allow a Web Fast Lane

WASHINGTON — The principle that all Internet content should be treated equally as it flows through cables and pipes to consumers looks all but dead.

The Federal Communications Commission said on Wednesday that it would propose new rules that allow companies like Disney, Google or Netflix to pay Internet service providers like Comcast and Verizon for special, faster lanes to send video and other content to their customers.

The proposed changes would affect what is known as net neutrality — the idea that no providers of legal Internet content should face discrimination in providing offerings to consumers, and that users should have equal access to see any legal content they choose.

Guess this old image wasn't too far off...

cost-net-neutrality.jpg

:wet:

The Federal Communications Commission said on Wednesday that it would propose new rules that allow companies like Comcast, Time Warner or Cox to rape their customers to access content they've effectively already paid for.

fixed

Weren't they basically required to do this by a court decision striking down the old rules? Oh well, I'm sure glad we spent the last 30 years gutting anti-trust and anti-competitiveness laws so that my town has only 1 internet provider remaining to compete with ... itself ...

I don't believe every bit of the propaganda against this movement.

Virtually everyone has high speed internet and or 3,4,5G wifi. You're so used to these speeds you forget how fucking slow everything used to be, but I digress. In other words, we all enjoy ungodly speed, to read and argue about shit that doesn't matter on a shithole forum dedicated to an ancient dead video game.

But if you want video streaming and services that use up huge amounts of bandwidth, shouldn't those mass content providers get the next fastest express lane on the web? So you pay five extra dollars next month. Big hairy fucking deal.

Last edited:
I don't believe every bit of the propaganda against this movement.

Virtually everyone has high speed internet and or 3,4,5G wifi. You're so used to these speeds you forget how fucking slow everything used to be, but I digress. In other words, we all enjoy ungodly speed, to read and argue about shit that doesn't matter on a shithole forum dedicated to an ancient dead video game.

But if you want video streaming and services that use up huge amounts of bandwidth, shouldn't those mass content providers get the next fastest express lane on the web? So you pay five extra dollars next month. Big hairy fucking deal.
We have some of the most expensive Internet services in the world based off of the ratio of price to speed.

Back