[T2] AlternateMasterSupport, an Alternate Master Server project

Rain

Veteran³
Hello everyone,

I'd like to announce AlternateMasterSupport (please forgive the completely uncreative name), a third-party master server implementation I wrote. As most of you already know, Blizzard Activision has announced that the Tribes2 "game servers" (presumably the master and authentication servers) will be shut down on Saturday, November 1, 2008. After November 1, the T2 community is on its own.

While I'd like to believe that the servers will stick around, Tribes2 has been on its last legs several times already — I doubt we'll get lucky again. Since we've only got a week left, and since the game itself is the only communication medium all players have in common, it's important that everyone in the community (server admins and players alike) gets the word out to other players.

Some others on The Construct Forums (as pointed out by KryandArturo) are taking a slightly different approach, but with only a week left, I believe we need something we can start telling players to download right now. It may turn out that my project is simply a stepping stone to something better, and I'm okay with that (although I reserve the right to my own opinion about what's "better." ;))

AlternateMasterSupport is conceptually very similar to Morrow36/Worrum's old master server. On the client side, all that's required is a script. A little more work is required on the server side to properly support clients in LAN mode (which will be necessary once the authentication servers go down.)

If you discover and bugs or have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.

It's safe enough. All the script does is add server information to a location on the web on the server end, and download that same information on the client end. The modified executable allows players not on the same subnet mask to connect to "offline" servers - players just connecting to that server don't need anything modified.
I've had a similar system online for about a year, which Morrow's script was based off of. There have also been a few others over the years, but it's more of a temporary fix than anything.
Every player that joins will be a smurf without any authentication info, and it can get pretty hectic if people start causing trouble.

As mentioned, there are a few of us over at The-Construct working towards a more permanent solution, which will in time bring back all the additional online features of the game, such as email, chat, browsers, etc.
The first release of the patch, which will include a new (secure) login system and master listing, will be available for download later this week on TribesNext.com.

That sounds great krash, we'll give it a whirl too.

Given that GA is still a somewhat active server I'd like to get something that works running before the master servers die.

The modified executable allows players not on the same subnet mask to connect to "offline" servers - players just connecting to that server don't need anything modified.

So if I share a network with a couple of other players we wouldn't all be able to join the server at the same time?

So if I share a network with a couple of other players we wouldn't all be able to join the server at the same time?
No, that'd work fine. The stock "LAN" server doesn't allow connections from people outside of the same IP address block you're on (it says "class B", but testing has shown that the restriction is a little looser than that.) So, for example, if your server IP was 172.20.42.42 and you used the stock server executable in LAN mode, only people with an IP address of 172.20.x.x would be able to connect. The server patch removes that restriction, since it will probably be impossible to run the client in "online" mode once the authentication servers go down.

Ah ok no problems.

Well, if the TribesNext changes don't come through in the next couple of days we'll put this short term fix up instead.

I'm putting mine back up until TribesNext comes out :)
Once it does I would support krash123 with any kind auth server for a better solution.

Last edited:
Back