Tonight on Crossfire... Mods versus.. well, you

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexor

Mods get a bum rap on TribalWar... and perhaps with Tribes 2 in general.

Let's discuss.

On TribalWar, we predominately seem to have "baseheads".. a term which applies equally to Classic, Version 2, and of course the original Tribes 2 "base", as well as other "base" derivatives.

In the rest of the online PC gaming community, we have "mods", which, as a rule, well, rule online gaming. Except, of course, on Tribes 2.. and especially here. And believe it or not, this is where Sierra's Tribes team hangs out.

Tribes 1 had(/has) a "normal" profile, in that the majority of gamers are playing mods. Quake, HL, RTCF, BF1942, and every title on earth has a vast majority of players playing mods.

Before we answer "why", let's talk a bit about the "balance" issue. This seems to be the chief concern voiced against T2 mods.

The last I heard, the way to win a "ladder" game was to stay in medium armor, always get a spinfusor, and don't even bother with vehicles.

woofuckinhoo.

doesn't sound like a Tribes match to me... and especially doesn't sound like Tribes 2.

Here's the way the last competitive Rev scrim went:

One team loaded-up on turrets and defenses, and the other fielded an M9A1 Big Tank team with air support.

Guess who won.

anyway, back to the "why"...

I suppose since there are so few players still playing Tribes 2, there is a tendency to "glom" together for comfort... let's all hug in a warm fuzzy game of Classic, cuz everyone else is... just don't tell anyone we are the same clones who hugged around TeamRabbit2 when it was released ;)

and one last word..

...as someone who's looking forward to another Tribes game, I am extremely worried that Sierra and the T:V team might possibly be influenced in any way by the posters on this site. I know Marweas always wanted to follow HL as a sort of guideline for the next Tribes title (his first inspiration was the single-player waste of resources.. let's all have a wet dream about Juila while the next Tribes game gets pushed to 2005) and maybe it is time to remind Sierra and the T:V dev team that this here forum is a warped place where reality != exist.

discuss.. but don't expect me to be back here any time soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back