If T:V netcode is (basically) Unreal Netcode, could we have tickrate 30 default?

Zoolooman

Veteran XV
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=15

That article explains why tickrate matters.

Because Tribes has always been such a high speed game, I figure more updates would be a lot better considering the distances covered in short time periods.

Sorry I couldn't add more to this. I know the processing requirements for the server and the bandwidth costs go up (marginally) with an increase in tick rate.

But frankly, T1 and T2 already used the equivalent of a tickrate 30 (32ms wait between updates), so I don't think it'd be that big of a difference in processing cost and bandwidth cost than what we're used to.

And of course, server admins could change tick rate if they like.

Just food for thought.

I would hope that tickrate would not be a modifiable option while still keeping the server "base", or whatever term Unreal uses for that. Raising/lowering it apparently completely changes the game.

Of course I feel retarded even mentioning anything because KP has doubtless come to the same or better conclusions by now :)

[meph]DooM! said:
I would hope that tickrate would not be a modifiable option while still keeping the server "base", or whatever term Unreal uses for that. Raising/lowering it apparently completely changes the game.

Of course I feel retarded even mentioning anything because KP has doubtless come to the same or better conclusions by now :)

Right. This is why I mentioned the higher default tickrate, cause Tribes requires a lot of "movement resolution" so to speak.

Nonetheless, I'm sure this is already being considered on Irrational's end. Just thought it'd be something to talk about.

TheCowBoy said:
what?

what does that mean

if your the ping command from DOS with a '-l' toggle it allows for a byte size. like '512' which more closely resembles the tribes packet size and thus produces more accurate results to what you will see in the server.

i think tick rate was kept low because of the nature of tribes2 objective (and because Georgeson is a weak-kneed slut)

to run a online game that will be served by the community , he wanted the low-end spec for those servers to be as flexible as possible. higher-tickrate equals more work for the server per second.

goddamn georgeson...i just get all fucking pissed off just thinking about his lame approach to everything...

This thread ticks me off. oh ho ho lmao

But seriously, the net settings should default to being whatever is optimal for broadband users. fuck 56 gays i dont want them [strike]playing[/strike] breathing anyway.

TeckMan said:
fuck 56 gays i dont want them [strike]playing[/strike] breathing anyway.
How could you have anything against us 56kers? It's not like we're hosting the server or something... Besides, if it's optimized for slower connections (look at T1) it will be awesome for broadband connections.

At0m|c said:
How could you have anything against us 56kers? It's not like we're hosting the server or something... Besides, if it's optimized for slower connections (look at T1) it will be awesome for broadband connections.

who let u in here!?!?

Back