I have an idea

Could you imagine a fleet on HO with shield packs on becasue they don't need the energy packs anymore. That would be a very bad thing for someones defense :p

{A} PR24 said:
Could you imagine a fleet on HO with shield packs on becasue they don't need the energy packs anymore. That would be a very bad thing for someones defense :p
yeah but it would be a fleet of ho that was grounded

How about different packs give different amounts of energy instead of just e-pack or no. I think we all agree that a HO with a shield pack should have a bit more energy than one carrying an inv station. I think it should go like this, from most energy to least:
e-pack, ammo pack, jammer, shield, turret, inv.

Or make the packs differnt weights, so having no pack at all would be the same effect as an e-pack (if you're going to be removing the e-pack that is).

without removeing the E-Pack, one idea to make the other packs more of an option could be to have them feed off a third energy bar that isnt linked to the jet pack.

Who knows what irrational have up there sleves though in regards to what packs they will include (if any) and how they will be implemented.

I'd say it's a fair to assume heavies won't be very agile -- to a greater extent than what we've seen in the past probably. But as the spin-weasel puts it, that doesn't mean they won't be able to go fast.

Think the analogy is, a 16 wheeler might have some trouble getting up to speed, but if it starts going down hill, you'll have a hard time stopping it.

In all honesty, I think that making a seperate energy bar is too complicated. Same with multiple energies per pack. Just my humble opinion.

That being said I believe you guys have the right idea in that most of the other packs are pretty useless as is (except for very obsure strategies). A big goal of T3 should be to improve the usefulness of all the packs, nades and deployables. As I see it, the deployables and alternative packs have potential to make the game SO much more deep & fun, it just feel like that potential has not been tapped as of yet.

In terms of energy pack, I made the suggestion (in my locked thread :() that all packs should give you the same energy boost that the current e-pack gives. Then make it so that certain weapons require the e-pack to use (i.e. mortar, rocket launcher, sniper rifle). Imagine a heavy having to decide between having a mortar, or a shield pack. It also keeps base-rape a valid strategy in that those without the added energy will tend to lose fights mor often, and not be able to keep up with the cappers.

That's the best idea I can think of to balance the packs...it's by no means perfect and I'm sure somene else could come up with something better...but bottom line is something needs to be done to improve the usefulness/balance of all the packs and deployables.

One way to increase pack usefulness is to improve other areas of the game and give an indirect boost.

Take the sensor jammer pack. It's pretty wortless save for running past a turret. If you make the sensor net more useful to players it'll be better for the enemy to be jamming it. If a rader type system that shows overhead enemy positions maintained by your sensor net is in the game, for example, light d and HoFs will find it extreamly useful to know who is incomming. Thus they grow to depend on it, and a senorjam cap becomes a much more viable option -- espically if you decoy with someone as the D would cluster to intercept in the opposite direction.

I think the jammer pack should work so the closer someone is to an active pack, the more it gets disrupted. A player or turret right next to an active jammer pack (friendly or enemy) should lose all IFFs and the turret wouldn't fire at all. From a few meters away it would only get sensors on things within 20M. From 20m away, it would get IFFs on targets 100m away. Rough numbers, but I think it would be interesting. It would make the HO have to be very aware of their positioning so as to get the maximum effect out of the jam.

That does sound like a good idea, can you see a duel where 2 lights go at it? Still flying around trying to MA or chain, and one of em whips out the repair pack on the way down? Or the other one blips his shield pack just before that sweet MA hits?

DarkAynjil said:
That does sound like a good idea, can you see a duel where 2 lights go at it? Still flying around trying to MA or chain, and one of em whips out the repair pack on the way down? Or the other one blips his shield pack just before that sweet MA hits?
Ya if shield duelers had the same maneuverability as epack duelers no one would ever use the disc launcher for anything again. God I hate newbies.

A lot about tribes is speed. Speed to cap the flag, speed to chase, speed to get to the gens. The e pack makes it quicker, and that proves to be more valuable then the shield pack which makes someone more durable.

In tribes u have to manueverable out in the open, so the obvious choice is the e pack becuase if your fighting someone without it theyll have that manuevarability advantage, which usually means they will win. Now, it would be nice to take out the e pack, but then cappers can't find a pack "to make them go quicker." My worst fear is a capper with a shield pack, what is the D supposed to do? Maybe there smart enough to come up with unique weapons and packs not thought of before, but only time can tell.

Take out the e pack and balance goes out of wack. It would be up to them to fix a lot of problems.

If there's no e-pack, all pack energy usage has to increase, and deployables should drain energy just wearing them. Like I said before, a HO with an inv station shouldn't have as much energy as one with a shield or ammo pack.

black label said:
Your A Fukin Moron
youre not your

Top_Gun509 said:
A lot about tribes is speed. Speed to cap the flag, speed to chase, speed to get to the gens. The e pack makes it quicker, and that proves to be more valuable then the shield pack which makes someone more durable.
Yes, Tribes is about speed. But since Tribes is so predominantly about speed the energy pack becomes the obvious choice because it's the only one that makes you faster. Remove the e-pack and then there is no obvious choice. People would be more likely to use packs that would fit in with a certain strategy or role.

In tribes u have to manueverable out in the open, so the obvious choice is the e pack becuase if your fighting someone without it theyll have that manuevarability advantage, which usually means they will win. Now, it would be nice to take out the e pack, but then cappers can't find a pack "to make them go quicker." My worst fear is a capper with a shield pack, what is the D supposed to do? Maybe there smart enough to come up with unique weapons and packs not thought of before, but only time can tell.
Why would a capper use a shield pack in any situation? It might let them survive a mortar or two but it doesn't just kill energy regeneration but energy levels actually go down when it's on. Also, whenever you take a hit you lose energy instead of health. I don't think a capper who couldn't use his jets to run would last very long.
Take out the e pack and balance goes out of wack. It would be up to them to fix a lot of problems.
I fail to see how removal of the e-pack would create balance problems considering how horridly unbalanced Tribes has always been.

you need e-pack for the sniper rifle

OR

get rid of e pack and make it a medium armour weapon

OR

keep e pack for rifle and make it a medium armour weapon

or just keep it as is (which is probably what will happen).

Last edited:
Back