T:V - XMLTools (or something like it)

Got Haggis?

Veteran XX
Okay, now obviously, there is no need to have ingame IRC for t:v since we all saw how much the t2 irc was used. But the fact is, having one IRC network for tribes is great (irc.dynamix.com). I think it would be great if T:V had tools to "extract" data from servers. SuperIP and the like do something like this, but it could be taken so much futher. For example, an IRC bot that if you passed it a name of a server (not the ip, since it's near impossible to remember multiple ip addresses for your fav servers) it would return to you the map being played, players on it, scores, caps, etc etc etc. Or maybe if you passed it the name of a player, it could query the servers and return what server the player was playing on..... all outside of the game. Just an idea....

I suggested XML/RSS stuff be integrated in T:V in another thread and KP said it sounded like a good idea to him. I think an XML parser and RSS feed support along with clientside scripting would be an awesome combination. It could only improve player awareness of community events and related news. Making it something that's already an open standard insures wider support.

Edit: and most of the stuff you're asking for in T:V Silverspirit can already do in T2 with his IRC Admin script.

Last edited:
I'd also like to see them registar a new domain, like irc.veagence.com, irc.tribes.com, etc that forwards to the dynamix server (they can do that right?).

Then new teams would be using the same server as the vets, and maybe we could even help the newbs out (if we feel like it). I mean, you're paying bytor anyways, you might as well make good use of it.

I'm actually already writing this (kinda).

I'm working on a mutator for UT2K3 that will do this, then when Vengeance comes out, simply port it over.

Sir Lucius said:
if it's bulit in it will work tho (ho ho ho!)
Maybe it's not built in.

Maybe it is.

I'm just being prepared. If it is built in I, being the arrogant programmer, probably won't like their XML schema any way and to save me the trouble of doing an XSLT to make it my way, I'll write my own :)

libxml2 is an excellent LGPL XML library. As an example of what it can be used for: GTKRadiant uses it very well along with GTK for its user interfaces.

My first decree for when Tribes Vengeance comes out is for you scripting nerds to write some step by step tutorials on how to do stuff so I know what the hell I'm doing for when I want to make a mod.

Sir Lucius said:
I want someone in the tribalwar community to do it so I'll care more.
Of course.

It's going to be pretty hard to do until we have the Vengeance script source in hand.

Back