How secure is the unreal engine against...

Zoolooman said:
ZOD, you're looking at it all wrong.

UT2k3 has 9 to 11 working cheats depending on the cheating website.

CS has over 300 working cheats, and Q3 has even more.

As cheats per game, UT2k3 has done very well.

and how long has each one been out? also note which ones are played more.

UT2K3 is currently more or less just as popular than Q3. Gamespy stats shows a margin of 100 people between the games, and this changes depending on the hour. :X

CS has actually lost the number of working cheats over time. In it's earliest times, you could find 600 or more working cheats on a given day.

I'm not claiming UT2K3 is some godly anti-cheating engine, but it IS far more secure than the Q3 and HL engines. As far as one can secure an engine against cheats, UT has done very well.

Add onto this fact that most of those 11 UT2K3 cheats have been out for months (and only one aimbot is even still supported) makes it difficult to show that UT is very cheat heavy.

Of course, the argument that it isn't the UT engine but other forces which contribute to a lack of cheating, is not an argument I can counter. I assume it is the engine. I could very well be wrong.

Either way, UT engine based games don't have that many cheats at the moment. :p

There are more cheats then those, but thats just a list I grabbed withing 15 seconds. The more popular a game is, the more likely it will be hacked into pieces. T:V will be hacked, no doubt about it. Unless you go out and kill Happy before it's released that is
:blowup:

a big vulnerability is in the Gfx driver. things like fog and wall hacks can be manipulated from there. Happymod in T1 was a pure glide-driver hack.

I was given a cheat for America'sArmy (UT2k3 engine) for the previous version...and it was pretty powerful. all client-side effects were capable of being disabled like gun recoil and there was even a kind of enhancement that allowed you to nail distant moving objects extremely accurately. It even had a nice Win32 interface and everything.

however, it was detectable, and i recieved an email that said they knew i was cheating and had reset my account. that was with no punkbuster at all!

T:V will probably encorporate punkbuster at some stage, i would imagine

Last edited:
TheCowBoy said:
Then why does Vlasic say that T2 has a functioning autoaim?

Functionning is a stretch. It's basically an autoaim that turns out to be an average player. A good sniper or lancer plays 10x better than the autoaim included in HM2. This is not like CS where the headshots just keep dropping. Like someone said, this is more of a proof-of-concept thing than anything unbalancing.

Voidsinger said:
Functionning is a stretch. It's basically an autoaim that turns out to be an average player. A good sniper or lancer plays 10x better than the autoaim included in HM2. This is not like CS where the headshots just keep dropping. Like someone said, this is more of a proof-of-concept thing than anything unbalancing.

riiight

Anticheat program like Punkbuster that are integrated to the game is quite good againts cheaters. Harder to bypass than those thirdparty anticheats.

Oh and i think AQ2 or something had feature that allowed servers to force every client to take screenshot and transfer it to server. Something like that would be nice too.

Last edited:
i had happymod for T1 and it was a file called GLIDE32.DLL - nothing else required.

am i mistaken in that analysis as a driver hack? explain please.

Thanks for answering the question Thrax.

As for cheating in T2 here is my observation. People have already discussed the cheating issues with T1, the most notable being a driver-hack, so it wasn't even a problem with the game itself. I play T2 without cheats. I have played since the day of release. I can get on any server in almost any gametype and make top 5, if not top 3, regularly. The only players I regularly get owned by are ones with names I recognize (mostly from Arena servers) and know they have extreme personal skill.

So, if cheating is present it is not in any game-damaging levels as far as I can see. Its nothing like hoping in a CS server and seeing one guy making 100% headshots with any weapon and having 4x more kills that anyone else. That is blatant cheating.

even if u were able to use one of these waypointy things someone metioned before... u have a much better chance of hitting without it beucase u know how players move, the computer doesnt (when was the last time u saw a capper fly in a perfect arc :p)

-A- ...Lost? said:
i had happymod for T1 and it was a file called GLIDE32.DLL - nothing else required.

am i mistaken in that analysis as a driver hack? explain please.

That was happyglide, not mod. While happymod lacked a flag finder (replaced by giant flags), it added a better "no fog" (instead of removing the fog, it raised the viewable distance altogether) as well as perma iffs that were visable through walls, hill, anything.

oop! your right ! i remember now that my happy build wasnt the original and fully functional happymod and didnt have the smiley flags. forgot that fact.

/me lowers his eyes in respect to wisdom

Making an autoaim for Tribes that works for anything other than the laser rifle is very close to impossible because of the projectile based weaponry in tribes. In a game like CS with all instant hit weapons, you can just lock onto players and fire, hitting them every time. Oh yeah, at those jetpack things. In other FPS games, you're glued to the ground or whatever you're on and only moving in 2 axes(except when jumping, of course, but even then you know right where the person is going to be in .5 sec). In tribes, you're often moving in all 3 axes at once. An auto aiming plasma turret can hit you from close range, but the turret isn't moving at all. Most times, both you and your enemy are moving in all 3 axes, added on top of that the gun has to lead its target. And then that's not even correct, because you could already be starting to jet up, down, left, right, back or forward while the weapon is shot, so by the time the projectile gets to you, you'll be gone.

Sure there's been auto aim's released that try to aim for you or show you closer to where to aim, but none is truly accurate. On top of ping issues, trigger delay, the projectile based weapons, and 3 axis movement, auto aim should be one of the cheats you worry about least.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want to see just how effective an auto aim can be in Tribes, play Aerial Assault.

maturity of the engine isnt a factor thats as important as the revision of the engine. the HalfLife engine is over 5 years old. coded in the salad days of game programming when cheating wasnt the sport it is today. Quake3..4years old. (both released around or before the release of Tribes1)

with every new revision of an existing engine, or entirely new architecture...cheating becomes harder.

thats the power of the 'blue-print' in mankind (invented only 500 years ago...its how we are able to travel space in the same century we created the first glider). instead of being taught as an apprentice...builders analyze the work of those before them and says 'right there...that was the mistake' and improve upon it.

Back