How secure is the unreal engine against...

Azra3l

TWS Champion
Veteran XX
...various forms of cheating?

I'm thinking mostly cs currently, as model replacement will always fuck us over.

Wallhacking? Aimbot?

It is better off than the HL engine, but the reality is, you can't prevent cheating altogether.

The fact Tribes is heavy in prediction based weaponry is what prevents most cheating.

Design cheat protection>programming cheat protection.

A good example of this is waypoints in T2. Sure they were a little cheap, but at least everyone had them and you could develeop strats around them.

Zoolooman said:
It is better off than the HL engine, but the reality is, you can't prevent cheating altogether.

The fact Tribes is heavy in prediction based weaponry is what prevents most cheating.

Then why does Vlasic say that T2 has a functioning autoaim?

I was thinking that only certain files can be replaced.

For example, if you couldn't replace your flag, no more happyflag. Simply requiring the default flags would do it. NO editing of them allowed.

I also hear little utterances of an auto-sl, so...assuming that's true, wouldn't that mean that auto-prediction is starting to be a reality?

the tribes world is based on math. Everything in math can be predictable. Everything in tribes can be predictable. Just i dont think anyone has a computer powerful enough to predict tribes movements to lvl where autoaim would be greater then human aim.

But if you look at the plasma turret the programming know how of auto aim is already built in to Tribes. Will autoaim ever be better then human skill. Prolly not so dont worry about it

But it being the unreal engine has both pros and cons. Pro is that when bugs and backdoors are found in one game they can release updates taht will aid the T:V devs in countering those cheats. Con is that the engine has been out for awhile and im sure there are many hackers that know the source code better then the unreal programmers.

TheCowBoy said:
Then why does Vlasic say that T2 has a functioning autoaim?
I used to have a functioning autoaim too. Basically, what it does is it detects pixel colors and automatically snaps to and shoots certain pixel colors. So, basically all you had to do with make a skin all one color and youd be a decent (I say decent because sniping is a game of prediction too, because your ping is never zero, so you would miss a lot with direct-aiming) sniper. But thats all youd be, because you couldnt shoot any other weapons at all. It hindered more than it helped (granted I didnt try it long enough to master it, but I actually sniped better without it).

In short, it was completely retarded because Tribes is well designed and aimbots dont matter. The only reason autoaim is good in Q3, CS is because they are poorly designed POS games with short range instant-transmission, high damage weapons.

Zoolooman said:

Actually it is because T1/T2 were small time releases and people were too lazy to invest time to make the cheats.

From my understanding, there's no support for client side scripts. Only the server may run and allow you to use the script. . . . So in that case if I'm right on what I understand, cheating IMO should be just about eliminated. Adding an exe program to check your side of the screen would improve this however you shouldn't see the type of cheats or scripts that were in t2.

[57th]cneal said:
From my understanding, there's no support for client side scripts. Only the server may run and allow you to use the script. . . . So in that case if I'm right on what I understand, cheating IMO should be just about eliminated. Adding an exe program to check your side of the screen would improve this however you shouldn't see the type of cheats or scripts that were in t2.

clientside scripts aren't the only way to cheat.

[57th]cneal said:

Uhh, having no clientside scripting isn't going to stop ANY major cheats. In T1, the only scripting cheat there ever was was autobeacon, which was patched out. I believe all the scripting cheats in T2 involved waypointing in some fashion, which, I would assume, could be fixed.

The arguments made are solid in regards to the feasibility of autoaim, except that we all forget one thing:

The Unreal has amazing AI...so this begs the question: "Thrax, did you guys leave the AI in?"

While obviously, I'm sure he will answer, I theorize that yes, to a certain extent, as it pertains to the single player campaign, and therefore, is in the game, and therefore, is most likely exploitable.

This is all out-of-the-ass conjecture, but perhaps there's a kernel of validity?

you guys are thinking \of the sniper auto-aim thing......there is something a lot more "powerful" out there. The way i've heard it described is that it basically add's a waypoint to the player...one of the mortar type waypoints that have the line/crosshair that adjusts with how close you are.....imagine that attached to the player showing you where to aim to hit a MA....

Back