No Interpolation variables in T3 please

FalseMyrmidon said:
So I assume you have a plan to 'even the playing field' for people who don't have the money to spend on top of the line hardware too? Because if youre going to compensate for people who can't afford/don't have an available high speed connection you better compensate for people with shitty hardware too.

there may be some things u can do to help compensate low end systems......

but come on....duh.........

that has been the name of the game from day one.

tribes has so many diffrent roles and is out side that you dont notice.

i just built a new system & now i am alot better, because my hardware allows me to be.

i plan to instantly upgrade my gfx card, mobo, cpu, & ram as soon as it is released.

asa long as i can remember ( hmmm, doom on a 14.4 modem ) "Skill' has always been about 1. Your ability 2. Hardware specs

I don't get this...

"Waaah, that guy has a better machine than me. I play Tribes 10 hours a day to perfect my mad skills, but I can't seem to muster up the cash to buy a decent machine like him!!!"

Those of us who actually want to have performance from our machine shouldn't be burdened just because some other kid won't upgrade his fucking machine. Otherwise, we'd all be playing Tetris online.

You can get a machine to run Tribes 2 very nicely for just $600USD. Make an investment.

TheCowBoy said:
There's this whole big argument....but all the devs have to do is simply hardcode interpolate at "1"

We have a WINNAR! Theres no reason to allow clients access to interpolate settings. So leave them private vars or hardcode the values into the functions that use them.

TheCowBoy said:
There's this whole big argument....but all the devs have to do is simply hardcode interpolate at "1"

That would make the game rather choppy for HPBs.

I think the option should be left completely up to the user.
If a low interpolate setting makes you a better player, then by all means use it! The argument that interpolate gives a player an "unfair advantage" is unjustified because it is a variable that anyone can change -- the scripts and commands used are widely accessible now. Furthermore, is it not regarded as a cheat, and is not disallowed in competitve play.

The problem in T1 and T2 deals more with the excessive power of the cg, not the interpolate variable itself.

i could care less as long as everyone has access to interpolate. When only some people have access to it, it provides an arguably unfair advantage. If everyone has access to it, then no one should bitch. (though they still will)

Last edited:
I think interpolation settings should be BUILT INTO the network options of T3. That way everyone has access to them and can tweak them to suit their connection. The best interpolation setting is a careful balance between playing with a semi-smooth game and having accurate positioning.

Packet Size
Packet Rate
All Interpolation Options

Shoult all be under network settings. If it's possible to change interpolation in UT at all, then it should be out there for everyone to use.

There are tons of ways to solve a problem.
Like in t2 Dave G had some wierd solutions like making the spinfuser fire randomly to curb mas. I think the best solution is fixing the CG not the interpolation.

TheCowBoy said:
Like ZOD said, that was the whole idea of the thread. Not to say wether it is a cheat, or a settting, simply make sure that you (T3 dev team) please make the interp settings hard coded.

WarHero X said:
Like ZOD said, that was the whole idea of the thread. Not to say wether it is a cheat, or a settting, simply make sure that you (T3 dev team) please make the interp settings hard coded.

This isn't any different than saying pings should be capped.

WarHero X said:

Why would you want interp hard coded?
I think a good analogy is saying that the network settings ("56k" "DSL/Cable" "T1") should be hardcoded.
Doesn't make any sense to me.

The game looks smoother and thus a little prettier to watch with a higher interp setting, and you get a more accurate representation of where the players are with a low interp setting.
Like I said, it should be a variable that the user should decide on. There's no reason for it not to be.

Apotheosis said:
Why would you want interp hard coded?
I think a good analogy is saying that the network settings ("56k" "DSL/Cable" "T1") should be hardcoded.
Doesn't make any sense to me.

The game looks smoother and thus a little prettier to watch with a higher interp setting, and you get a more accurate representation of where the players are with a low interp setting.
Like I said, it should be a variable that the user should decide on. There's no reason for it not to be.

They were undocumented varibles in both Tribes and Tribes 2, had the Dev wanted people to mess with them they would have documented or at least added them to client prefs. There is NO REASON they should be mesased with. People did JUST FINE without knowing or adjusting those settings.

Lock the game down as much as possible, lax it up as required, but do not leave the damn flood gates wide open from the start ala Tribes 1 and 2.

ZOD said:
They were undocumented varibles in both Tribes and Tribes 2, had the Dev wanted people to mess with them they would have documented or at least added them to client prefs. There is NO REASON they should be mesased with. People did JUST FINE without knowing or adjusting those settings.

Lock the game down as much as possible, lax it up as required, but do not leave the damn flood gates wide open from the start ala Tribes 1 and 2.

Well, you would also think that if the Dev didn't want people to mess with them, they would have harded coded the values.
There *is* a reason that the value should be messed with, and that is to get a more accurate representation of where the players are.
Players with lower pings will be at the greatest advantage without the interpolate setting, since they already have a very accurate representation. If anything, I think that interpolate *evens* the playing field.

In regard to interpolate, the flood gates should be left wide open from the beginning (make the interp setting changable in the GUI for T:V, out of the box), in order to make future "floods" concerning interpolate impossible.

TeckMan said:
Hard code the interp settings. This game shouldn't be about who can bear playing with the jerkiest game.

It should be up to the *user*

Following your reasoning, the graphics setting should be hard coded to the lowest settings for all players (regardless of what your computer can handle).

"This game shouldn't be about who can bear playing with the *lowest FPS*" ??

By increasing your graphics setting, you generally improve the visuals of the game at the cost of decreased FPS (increased jerkiness).
The interpolate setting is analogous -- By decreasing the interpolate value, you generally get a more accurate representation of where the players are, at the cost of increased jerkiness.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both sides of the spectrum, and it should be *up to the user* to decide what side he/she prefers.

Back