No rocket launcher in t3 please

I believe the idea is to creatively discuss. We're not hear to bash people for what they think (unless they are some planetside faggot or panama jack). All I'm saying is there's no need to get in an argument over opinions. Rather than telling someone they have no idea what they're talking about you should be the bigger person and realize your discussion isn't going anywhere. You'll just end up bouncing back insults and then the thread isn't gaining anything new.

If you get mad at someone, just pull out the :chill: and relax.

Sir Lucius said:
I believe the idea is to creatively discuss. We're not hear to bash people for what they think (unless they are some planetside faggot or panama jack). All I'm saying is there's no need to get in an argument over opinions. Rather than telling someone they have no idea what they're talking about you should be the bigger person and realize your discussion isn't going anywhere. You'll just end up bouncing back insults and then the thread isn't gaining anything new.

If you get mad at someone, just pull out the :chill: and relax.

I love tribes but I dont see how the above statement has to do with tribes. The above post should be deleted.

I have a series of brilliant comments, most of which have already been posted but thats ok.

Ok, the missile launcher in T2 is useless at this point. Vehicles (scouts & bombers) easily move faster than any missile. The missile does not improve if a better player shoots it. What we need is a projectile or something that can move much faster than vehicles, and require skill to use! Similar to the chaingun, but I feel the chaingun was only effective in T1 because the vehicles moved almost as slow as a heavy trying to ski in T2 base. I like the AA guns in BF1942, I know its a completely different game, but they do require skill to use and it does take some practice to dominate with those things. And they are easy to be destroyed themselves.

Probably been said before, what about a guided missile?

Dumb fire, lock-on against vehicles if it's really needed, and a secondary fire mode that lets you steer the missile, allowing you to chase those damn shrikes/tanks/players, but leaving you completely vulnerable. Being shot while guiding the missile would of course reset it to dumb fire and it would just keep going straight.
Something like this might work I think.

Somebody pointed out that a dumbfire missile is essentially a mortar without a skill requirement, as it hits distant targets with big splash damage without requiring much aiming.

Even though it's not practical for aerial units, the idea of painting a laser site on a tank or something would be pretty cool. Probably wouldn't work out in implementation though.

I mean, how many people used the laser site missile feature that was in T2?

Thrax Panda said:
Somebody pointed out that a dumbfire missile is essentially a mortar without a skill requirement, as it hits distant targets with big splash damage without requiring much aiming.

I thought they were supposed to do little splash damage.

The rocket launcher can lock onto people so that clustering (naked t1 style clustering) is not an option. It adds more strategy to the game. Flame me for saying that if you want, but here's why it adds more strategy: You have to keep your base in T2 (so you have access to flares), otherwise you will lose because you will die whenever you approach the enemy base. Having to keep your base means that you will have access to the other armor & pack types and more complex strategies that come with those armor & pack types. It makes the game more than just a naked light vs naked light game.

I don't mind the rocket launcher, I could also do without it, because autoaim weapons are lame. If they take it out steps need to taken to make sure that t1 style clustering isn't an option.

Last edited:
What's wrong with clustering? I think clustering is a good thing. It can act as your last resort tactic when all else is lost. A team with their base up already has an advantage, if you remove clustering from the game then they havee an even greater one.

Thrax Panda said:
I understand that it can be hard, but please throw away any pre-conceptions about the game. It's really not going to be T1, or T2 with better graphics.

you need to think outside of the box (which means you're way ahead of those who are thinking inside of a small can that's inside of the box, or those who think the top of the can sucks and won't go there). This absolutely will not look like a T1 or T2 mod.

New team, new game, new things to learn.

praise be the heavens! i couldn't dream of anything better than to have a title which stands solidly on it's own with creativity and originality intact.

not to draw the possibility of similarity but what made T1 so f'ckin orgasmic is that it hit a totally unassuming market like a 2 ton anvil. while it's truly regrettable the sales numbers didn't illustrate this, the ripples left in the wake of T1 are still influencing new games today.

if your statement is any indication we're again in position to be knocked on our asses, we're indeed in for a quite a treat.

In T2 if you lost your base the game was over. So instead of calling it CTF, you might as well call if D&D with CTF as a secondary goal. Clustering enabled you to at least have a shot at getting your base back by overwhelming the enemy in sheer numbers, which caused them to go D and let you get your base back up.

As for the mortar requiring no skill......fuck dat. Spamming requires no skill, but there were some players who were deadly with the motar. Nailing a capper at 250m who is rocketing away takes skill, fixating on a pixel and blindly spamming until your ammo count reaches 0 does not.

Oh that reminds me - imo the mortar projectile in t2 classic is way too slow. It's the slowest mortar (compared to player speeds) that has ever appeared in a tribes game or mod (that made it to competition.. Who knows about ultra slow mortar mod). Sometimes it's not possible for a mortar to even catch up to a capper - the mortar has a max range of what? 450? It's possible for a capper to go 300m+ (distance) w/o touching the ground on a fast route on certain maps. Those mortar shots, while very rewarding when you hit them, are extremly tough to judge. There's so much a capper can do in 300m to change directions. Anyway - that's just me ranting about the mortar.

in t2, i would say the rocket launcher is basically the same as the mortar (except the rl can lock onto things)..especially if you take the whole air-waypointing system into effect. I assume that the ability to air-waypoint things won't be present in the new tribes product. Should bring some more skill back to HOing.

Why do you keep saying it's the same as a mortar?
It has to hit dead on to do that kinda damage... And if we make it dumbfire, that's gonna be tough.

Back