No rocket launcher in t3 please

Creole Ned said:

While it's true that you didn't need a rocket launcher to take out a vehicle in Tribes, it's also true (I'd say) that the vehicles were slow, awkward to use and made obsolete by skiing, so as an example of how having vehicles doesn't mean you need you rocket launchers, it's a bit weak. :)
True. Let me refine my statement. On RC, where scouts were useful you still didn't need anything remotely like a missile launcher.

ElectroWaffle said:
Don't cater to IE because they are IE. Whoever said only have missle launchers lock onto vehicles only, knows what he is talking about, but still allow the missle launcer to fire a dumb missle, so it can still be used against players.
Sorry Waffle,
We are going to call the game Tribes: Imperial Elite, so I guess that wish goes out the window.

:no:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I understand that it can be hard, but please throw away any pre-conceptions about the game. It's really not going to be T1, or T2 with better graphics. If you're positive that a particular weapon or pack is going to be in the game, get over that too, because I'm not guaranteeing anything except the disk launcher, jet packs, and some flags (though I'm not saying what the flags are for).

you need to think outside of the box (which means you're way ahead of those who are thinking inside of a small can that's inside of the box, or those who think the top of the can sucks and won't go there). This absolutely will not look like a T1 or T2 mod.

New team, new game, new things to learn.

Thrax Panda said:
Sorry Waffle,
I'm not guaranteeing anything except the disk launcher, jet packs, and some flags (though I'm not saying what the flags are for).

they better be for capping....

but Thrax, about vehicles and rocket launchers

rockets are gay, rockets that lock on..even gayer
a dumb fire missle with a slow reload time against players would be okay, and if we cant take out vehicles easily with a chain, well then i guess you need rockets..

your statement is correct about RC, however scouts can still be useful to chase down cappers on RC and a good sniper cant take it down easily..you just cant touch the flag ;)

ElectroWaffle said:
Just for fun let's examine that comment, shall we? Yes, lets.

Don't cater to IE because they are IE. Whoever said only have missle launchers lock onto vehicles only, knows what he is talking about, but still allow the missle launcer to fire a dumb missle, so it can still be used against players.

Just for fun, let's examine that comment, shall we? Yes, lets.

Avoiding the 0 skill requirement of autolocking for a moment, lets look at the situation. If you make the RL autolocking on vehicles (and want to keep gay ass shit like flares out of the game), that would imply that you would need to make the vehicles beastly enough to take a bunch of hits. Now, since they are more beastly, it is most likely harder to use things like discs, chain, etc. against them. Good stuff. Now we are left with a "must have" weapon in order to deal with vehicles (oh the fun). On top of that, we now have a new anti-personel weapon which is a dumbfire linear projectile with medium to decent speed and slash damage on explosion. Not like tribes doesn't have one of those already.

I think I prefer the "no RL in t3" to this, dont you?

OH BTW.. thrax promised me a giant statue of myself, brandishing a massive wang, on the default CTF map. I can't wait.

Last edited:
R@ND0M said:
OK.
So we've come to the conclusion that you've played the game.

I'm still having difficulty deciding whether you were actually any good at it or not.
Vehicles were useless in the eyes of the beholder, aka they were only useless if you were.

Why do you have to decide if I was good at it or not? That's not really what we are talking about. GJ on being an idiot. Second of all in the higher competitive pubs and matches that I saw you rarely saw vehicles used with any effectiveness. i.e they didnt change the outcome of the game. In t2 base you had to own the "skies" and rule with vehicles to win (i.e 5150)

Sir Lucius said:
It just occurd to me that the tribes 2 RL was unique to MEd and Heavy -- I guess I forgot seeing as how much it sucked ass as a weapon.

You know what might be cool as far as an AA weapon goes? A RL but laser guided -- like in half life. Maybe not as percise (a losser track, along the lines of mouse lag), but if you're looking for anti god-vehicle wepons I'd rather something like this than a homming weapon.

Also along the same idea but more net code friendly, you know how some game have the double jump? Well I don't think this has really been used much in a weapon before, but first shot you fire your weapon, the projectile lunches and then you have a 1-5 second window to adjust the shot direction(not compleatly change, but you can set it up for an arc). So the steeper your second press of the fire button is from the first (basically you don't fire anything, but guide your shot) the more your projectile will arc in that dirction.

Anyone understand what I'm saying? It might be hard the way I'm describing it. Let's say you fire a shot strait forward. Now during the adjustment phase you aim all the way down at the ground. The projectile will change direction to the reletive reticle arc. It won't factor in how far it's traveled from you, but anything to your left, right, up, and down will effect its direction (so no boomerang effect).
wouldn't you have to be standing still in order to do that? so you could only do it from a safe position making it completely useless if there are any enemy players around you

FalseMyrmidon said:
wouldn't you have to be standing still in order to do that? so you could only do it from a safe position making it completely useless if there are any enemy players around you

Uhh, no, you can be moving as much as you want. Distance doesn't matter, so at the 180 degree plane you have as far as you can go for course adjustment. Aiming behind you would cause the same sngular reletivity. and a full 180. That's not really important tho, I'm just not sure how to explain b/c I don't know why you'd have to stand still (from your perspective on the issue)

Locke355 said:
OH BTW.. thrax promised me a giant statue of myself, brandishing a massive wang, on the default CTF map. I can't wait.
Only massive in comparison to the nude photo's he keeps sending me. In reality much smaller than average.

shrikehook.gif

grappling hook 1 - shrike 0 + you don't need rocket launcher

Thrax Panda said:
I understand that it can be hard, but please throw away any pre-conceptions about the game. It's really not going to be T1, or T2 with better graphics. If you're positive that a particular weapon or pack is going to be in the game, get over that too, because I'm not guaranteeing anything except the disk launcher, jet packs, and some flags (though I'm not saying what the flags are for).

you need to think outside of the box (which means you're way ahead of those who are thinking inside of a small can that's inside of the box, or those who think the top of the can sucks and won't go there). This absolutely will not look like a T1 or T2 mod.

New team, new game, new things to learn.
This is very encouraging. I want a new game that preserves key core elements, not a simple retread of what we've seen before.​

Golgac said:
Why do you have to decide if I was good at it or not? That's not really what we are talking about. GJ on being an idiot. Second of all in the higher competitive pubs and matches that I saw you rarely saw vehicles used with any effectiveness. i.e they didnt change the outcome of the game. In t2 base you had to own the "skies" and rule with vehicles to win (i.e 5150)

Last I checked the game I played was Tribes, not Microsoft Flight-Sim 2001

all i know is first and only time i tried t1 i bought stuff at the station and i got on the vpad and bought a scout/shrike only to have it stolen. i got another one, went out of the base, realised that its almost impossible to pull up and crashed into a mountain. i procceeded to try out skiing which was fine until i got about 40 m from the enemy base and got headshotted by about 12 laser turrets

I think the mpb and shrike will need new textures for tribes3, but they can probably port the havoc, bomber, tank, and grav cycle over as is. They might need to up the numbers in the missle launcher tho since the game will have tribes 1 physics.

Back