NEED HELP: Problem Patching Tribes to 1.11 on WinXP

Bounty

Love
Veteran XX
Okay, this is fucking weird. I've never, in four-and-a-half years of Tribes, had this much of a problem with one stupid patch.

I'm reinstalling T1 for fun and have the following error popping up whenever I try to run the 1.0 - 1.11 patch (tribes111.exe):

fubar.jpg

Now, the odd thing is that the 1.0 - 1.9 patch works just fine. Anything else generates this same error.

I'm running WinXP Pro, no SPs (I'm lazy). All drives are in NTFS format.

Not that it matters for this, but I'm running a GF2 GTS on this box and an SB Live. There's plenty of hard drive space and RAM.

I've tried installing it on both the C and D drives.

I've downloaded several versions of this same file from different sites to ensure it wasn't a corrupt file/download.

I've also tried running it with the built-in backwards compatibility for previous OSes offered by XP.

All of this to no avail.

Any ideas?

Please, someone prove to me that this is a simple problem, and that I'm just an ignorant momo. Thanks.

:heart:

My only guess is that the patch doesn't like Tribes installed to Program Files. Try installing to another directory that doesn't use long filenames.

Are you sure that that is correct patch file? have you renamed it. What i have had since 1.11 came out is: tribes10to111.EXE

Or then XP has fucked up and you gotta format :heart:

First off, do a virus scan because the few times I've had a virus, they often make compressed files/exe's very finnicky.

Second, you said 1.0-1.9 works fine, so did you try 1.9-1.10, 1.10-1.10.5, 1.10.5-1.11?

The fewer patches you use, the less opportunity for one of them to fuck up. I learned this from T2.

Try 1.0 to 1.11.

Yeah, I tried going from 1.9 to 1.10 to 1.105 to 1.11. Doesn't work.

My system is virus-free ... just ran a couple of scans yesterday (automated and manual).

I agree with Data. The less patches, the better. Which is why I'm patching up from 1.0 to 1.11 ... or trying to, anyway.

Any other suggestions? I've tried it on my uncompressed drive ... does the same thing there, too.

Well, I don't know off the top of my head, but if the 1.11 patch was just an exe patch someone could just send you the exe, or whatever files were modified. Wouldn't completely solve the problem, but you'd be able to play. ;)

on the topic of problems with t1.....

i had t1 on my old comp so i compressed it into a zip file and put it on my new comp. however in tribes now, it has a weird bug. It doesn't seem to draw the land properly, so from far away there are little curves and bumps in the land that i can't see, and they only start forming as i get closer.

Rabid Poop said:
on the topic of problems with t1.....

i had t1 on my old comp so i compressed it into a zip file and put it on my new comp. however in tribes now, it has a weird bug. It doesn't seem to draw the land properly, so from far away there are little curves and bumps in the land that i can't see, and they only start forming as i get closer.

Were you using Glide on your old computer (voodoo)? The exact thing you described used to happen to me when I switched to my TNT2. I don't think it does it anymore with my GF2. Don't play that much anymore, but now that you mention it I haven't noticed it in a long time.

My old comp was a geforce2. switched to radeon 9700

edit: i messed around with the options and I think its better now, but still not perfect, I guess I'll live.

Last edited:
I fixed it.

I transferred the entire directory over to my wife's computer.

The only difference on her box, that I can tell, is that she's running a FAT32 drive uncompressed.

I patched it there, then transferred it back. It works now. Thanks guys. ;)

Data said:
The fewer patches you use, the less opportunity for one of them to fuck up. I learned this from T2.

Try 1.0 to 1.11.
I agree 100%

Also, have you tried the "compatability settings tab?"
Set it to run in compatability mode with win98 and try it.

Back