Let's list the.... "can only end badly" ??

L

Lexor

umm, why did Thrax close that thread about T2's eff-ups ?

if anything, I figured he'd be totally into a thread delving into the finer points of what makes Tribes and Tribes 2 a great game experience, and what made T2 somewhat of a disaster.

the thread's author was spot-on with a number of points. I was interested in the discussion that was getting started.

then... slam.

as a modder I am always trying to iron-over the creases in T2. I am very interested to hear what people think of T2 and how I can make it better.

heck, Thrax you should be even more interested as the stake of the franchise is relying partly on your efforts.

for my two cents, as for mine-discing... mines are, well mines, and should be used as such ;) they shouldn't become active until they've entrenched in the ground IMHO.

I don't have any problems with guided missiles or deployable turrets, as both still take effort and thought.

As for grenades, in my mod they're with the mines as "hand" inventory, and flares are standard issue for every player -- and can be released from vehicles.

my big complaint about T2, that I can't do much about in server-side code, is the vehicle physics which make vehicles tip sideways and creep up mountains until they tip over enough to explode. if I had it my way, either the physics would have been fixed, or the vehicle models would have been shaped in a way to prevent them from tipping, ie.

\-/ sort of wings, instead of

/-\ like with the Havoc, shrike etc. which tend to help the vehicle tip sideways, crawl up the hill, and then xplodie.

Perhaps it was locked because it such old news. It's not like there haven't been 8 million threads on TW about what was fucked up about T2, why T2 sucks, and why T1 is so much better than T2. did we really need another?

Not to mention, it likely would have turned into a base vs classic vs t1 flame thread by page 2.

in my own defense I tried to make it constructive critism, though some (all?) of it was OFN.

I see some of the same things happening in T:V that happened in T2 that worry me, such as the emphasis on tribes as a sport which is like 'tribes on an epic scale' to me.

sender said:
in my own defense I tried to make it constructive critism, though some (all?) of it was OFN.

I see some of the same things happening in T:V that happened in T2 that worry me, such as the emphasis on tribes as a sport which is like 'tribes on an epic scale' to me.
Tribes as a sport and Tribes on an epic scale are completely different fundamentally. Like one is fun, and one is not.

jsut said:
did we really need another?

yes, I thought so.

perspective is something that happens when you are afforded the luxury of time.

those of us who play Tribes 2 have now had lots of time to ponder its finer points, and hopefully players aren't as quick to immediately compare T2 to T1.

Lexor said:
yes, I thought so.

Thrax clearly didn't

Lexor said:
perspective is something that happens when you are afforded the luxury of time.

Threads examining T2's success's and failures aren't only restricted to the 4 months immediately after release. As you say, a lot of the actual posts with perspective have been recent ones. That being said, there have been a ton of posts on the tribes sites since the announcement of T:V. i guess thrax has had enough of our perspective or something ;)

Lexor said:
those of us who play Tribes 2 have now had lots of time to ponder its finer points, and hopefully players aren't as quick to immediately compare T2 to T1.

I think yogi covered this pretty well. Also, don't forget that despite the fact that a lot of people on TW hate T2, there are also a lot of people here that love it (most of the time ;)).

ps: most "discussions" of T2 end up being arguments about mods.

Yogi said:
Tribes as a sport and Tribes on an epic scale are completely different fundamentally. Like one is fun, and one is not.
I personally see Tribes as a Community...this emphasis on Tribes as a Sport only shows off one facet of that community.

Think about how much time you spend in IRC, on TW, basically time outside the game. To me it seems that focusing on the competitive aspects of internet play will turn tribes from a social game into a difficult, nervracking competition.

edit: for clarity thats why I compare tribes on an epic scale to tribes as a sport...fundamentally they are different, but they both rub me the wrong way

Last edited:
Lexor said:
if anything, I figured he'd be totally into a thread delving into the finer points of what makes Tribes and Tribes 2 a great game experience, and what made T2 somewhat of a disaster.
what

sender said:
...this emphasis on Tribes as a Sport only shows off one facet of that community.
People tend to focus in on one thing and pick at it. You're focusing in on "Sport". We've said on many occasions that there will be a range of play stiles from sport to war, and map makers will have an unprecedented ability to refine and/or add to that.

Granted, you know almost nothing about what we're doing in the multi-player game, so in reality, when you say that "Tribes as sport rubs me the wrong way" you're basing that on guesswork. I can understand that. Speculation is fun, but people need to remember that speculation is not something to get upset about, or to take too seriously.

In short, sender, :chill: and wait. We've got you covered.

Thrax Panda said:
People tend to focus in on one thing and pick at it. You're focusing in on "Sport". We've said on many occasions that there will be a range of play stiles from sport to war, and map makers will have an unprecedented ability to refine and/or add to that.

Granted, you know almost nothing about what we're doing in the multi-player game, so in reality, when you say that "Tribes as sport rubs me the wrong way" you're basing that on guesswork. I can understand that. Speculation is fun, but people need to remember that speculation is not something to get upset about, or to take too seriously.

In short, sender, :chill: and wait. We've got you covered.

Is that a Euphamism for sex?

Back