Hook Ammo Poll by Thrax Panda - Page 6 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Hook Ammo Poll
Page 6 of 9
View Poll Results: Are you for or against ammo for the Grappling Hook?
I am IN the beta and FOR ammo. 65 14.71%
I am IN the beta and AGAINST ammo. 68 15.38%
I am NOT IN the beta and FOR ammo. 138 31.22%
I am NOT IN the beta and AGAINST ammo. 149 33.71%
Me bad english? Unpossible! 22 4.98%
Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Calder
VeteranXX
Old
101 - 08-09-2004, 11:07
I think the cable should break if you get disced, or the thing you're attached to gets disced.

Sponsored Links
Theta
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
102 - 08-09-2004, 11:25
Nice tie. heh

Kali
VeteranXX
Old
103 - 08-09-2004, 11:38
I believe there should be no ammo. They should implement it the same as in OSP for Q3 though. Slower shoot out time, 3 seconds max attachment. That will prevent people from just using it to hang from the ceiling and hiding out.

However, the settings should be adjustable with a server side config so that server admins can tweak it.

whyhelothar
VeteranX
Old
104 - 08-09-2004, 11:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeu5
Another idea that just popped into my mind...

If the use of the grappler must be limited in the long run (although I hope there won't be need for that), why not limit the length of the rope to be used instead of the number of shots? From my experience it's easier to mess up at shorter lengths, and it also takes you closer to the hook, which will be a likely target if it can be shot.
Good Idea. So, if a person decides to grapple around like a monkey, they would also have to worry about the splash damage. I don't think that this would be smart to implement for everyone though, maybe only say if you have the flag, then the length automatically shortens to prevent grapple gayness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidh2o
you'll have more than one person going on offense to retreive a flag. One shot to a deployable turret can disable it, and between a fighter pod/bomber and a heavy, manable turrets can be taken out pretty quick.

And if a capper is grappling around, I'd say that makes him even more vulnerable as his LD will have to keep up with him, not to mention if the capper is grappling, chances are he won't be shooting back at you.

My main point isn't regarding the ammo of the grappler, it's regarding the balancing of the game before it goes mainstream and how it'll affect things once people start playing more competitively.

p.s. you can grapple you way into most inv. stations, which(w/ the exception of emerald) are indoor.

I see what you're saying liquidh2o, but it's rare to see more than 2 people attacking the capper on the pubs during closed beta. That kind of teamwork really isn't in existance now, but during competition, that might be the only way to kill the grappler.
Unlike Tribes 1/2, one shot to a deployed turret does NOT disable it. Those ****ers keep going untill I think .5% health or something. I dropper a mortar to one last night, and it kept firing at me, so there is no way a disk will disable it. If the defense has a repair turret near by, good luck killing it with long disks.
I'm hoping that when the power ladders open up on TWL for T:V open beta, we will see a lot more coordination than what we see now on pubs. Maybe having unlimited grappler ammo is the way to go, to tell you the truth, I really know for sure untill I see/play in a competition match. Only then can you really see if the grappler is okay, or needs to be reduced even more.

hfingers
VeteranX
Old
105 - 08-09-2004, 12:19
I think that at the least the hook should be able to be shot and break.

Plague
VeteranX
Old
106 - 08-09-2004, 12:43
I thought it already could be broken by any projectile? Seems like it's been that way for a long time.

Fraggy Poo
VeteranX
Old
107 - 08-09-2004, 14:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague
You may want to consider something new, like an "energy capacitor" for the weapon, one that doesn't use jet energy for fuel, so it behaves like a pack's source of energy. You'd start off with, say, 100 units of energy in your grappler. Firing off a shot depletes 25 units, which means after four repeated shots (with no swinging involved), you have no "ammo." Remaining on an active line would drain 10 units per second, for an example. So, realistically, just swinging repeatedly on line after line won't be possible after about three shots. Swinging on a single line would afford you with only about eight seconds of use. It would recharge at something like 10 units a second when not in use, so you'd have to use your jets actively.
I REALLY like this idea. But instead of having it recharge, have it not recharge but instead give it a substantial amount of energy for general usage. Something like you start with 100 energy. 1 shot takes off 5 energy points, while remaining on the line takes off 5 energy a second. This would make people have to think about when, how, and how long to use the grappler, would nerf over-use, while keeping the many options available in the long run.

Hell, I like this much better than the longer refire rate. Devs please do this.

Sopo
VeteranX
Old
108 - 08-09-2004, 14:13
Maybe you should set it to like 50 and make it unusable for 20 seconds when it runs out and then it goes back to 50.

eagle*
Unregistered
Old
109 - 08-09-2004, 14:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Striker-
Or even better, make is so that if grapple points take a certain amount of damage, they disengage. If you could disk people's line off the ceiling, it would be pretty easy to return the flag.
I think this would be a very good solution...
It makes it so you can counter easily those who abuse the weapon (heavies spamming mortars from the ceiling), while someone who uses it more skillfully (capper trying to get away) will require a bit more skill to detach.

Limiting the ammo to 20 doesn't prevent heavies from attaching to the ceiling and spamming mortars.

Last edited by eagle*; 08-09-2004 at 15:58..
Hologram
VeteranXX
Old
110 - 08-09-2004, 14:27
I am for the hook ammo. I am not in the beta. It forces people to watch where they shoot it and think ahead. The ammo can always be set to "infinite" in a modded server.

-Striker-
VeteranX
Old
111 - 08-09-2004, 14:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague
I thought it already could be broken by any projectile? Seems like it's been that way for a long time.
Splash doesn't do it, I have never tried hitting the line with the actual disk though.

-iA- Sass
VeteranXV
Old
112 - 08-09-2004, 15:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAngel
I just think the ammo option is a quick fix for something much more complicated.
Agreed. The last choice should be other instead of unpossible english.

ParoxysM
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
113 - 08-09-2004, 17:26
25 ammo would be max, 16.2 is fine

Nicodemus
VeteranXX
Old
114 - 08-09-2004, 17:36
I honestly think if they just make it so if you shoot the hook their current grapple breaks, and if you timed that right it could send the sum ***** straight to the floor cuz of his momentum. And with the insane rate of fire on the disc launcher, you can just slam his ass.

Mr_Unlucky
VeteranX
Old
115 - 08-09-2004, 18:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbiticus
I'm against it right now, mainly because if you are holding the fire button down while grappling and your grapple breaks, it automatically fires again. That and it can take 5-7 shots to get to the enemy base and another 5-7 to get back. Then you're really limited unless you go back to an inventory station, which is silly because you havn't fired an actual weapon.
Just because you're a grappler WHORE.

And yes, grappler really really really really needs to be shootable.

jerry
VeteranXX
Old
116 - 08-09-2004, 18:56
well

this poll has proven nothing

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram
I am for the hook ammo. I am not in the beta. It forces people to watch where they shoot it and think ahead. The ammo can always be set to "infinite" in a modded server.
20 shots is going to make people think? give me a break

as LA said, its quick fix for a deeper problem

jerry
VeteranXX
Old
117 - 08-09-2004, 18:56
gddfgf

Mattack
VeteranX
Old
118 - 08-09-2004, 19:26
why the **** do you keep talking cyanide you havent played the ****ing game

P Masta Flex
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
119 - 08-09-2004, 19:52
dont limit my mobility, it pisses me off

Wolfchylde
VeteranXV
Old
120 - 08-09-2004, 21:07
Has anyone suggested this:
You have a set number of "lines"
if you successfully retract the cable then you dont use one of the lines (essentially you recover it).
If it gets broken or somesuch, you use one of your lines.

its merely a suggestion.

Page 6 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Hook Ammo Poll

Social Website Bullshit