is interpolate observable thru demo? poll inside, wat do u think?

is interpolate observable?

• Total voters
meph i never said that wasnt true. what the heck.

of course the same person will be better with interp=0 over interp=64. when did i say otherwise u doofus. i agree w/ u on that.

i recently found out rtcll is the only person in tribes who does not believe the above statement 2 be true, so mayb that was directed 2 him?

first of all that's not what I said snow

and second was I #1 in ascend bc of my tribes 1 interpolation too?
huh weird

I also didn't get better all of a sudden one day, I never stopped playing and the big thing was upgrading to a real PC with 144hz monitor and a proper mouse/mousepad and optimizing sensitivity. Stuff I had never done before. Oh and I had mouse acceleration turned on in earlier stages of tribes which fucked my aim.

i think we need 2 clarify between interp and pft in this situation too

interpolation is filling in data between known data points, imo you really can't see this because its still showing the user the same data points, its the smoothing in between thats different

pft is how far the game tries to predict based on velocity/direction/etc where the player WILL be and show you where the game thinks they should be on your screen if the data was realtime

i think you can probably guess based on a demo whether the person is using higher pft values although the guess wouldn't be that accurate because people were leading targets before pft

although as ops said there would be edge cases where with high pft values you'd see players before they turned corners that you'd never be able to do just by 'leading targets'

interpolation is filling in data between known data points, imo you really can't see this because its still showing the user the same data points, its the smoothing in between thats different

you can't interpolate between data points without having two data points. in order to interpolate, the game has to wait for the second data point and then calculates the intermediate data points. that buffering time is the reason why your client's view of the model feels behind where the server thinks the model is (in addition to standard server-client latency). so no, having interpolate off doesn't show you the same data points as having interpolate on.

trying to tell if someone's 'interpolating' via demo is still not impossible, just more subtle

you can't interpolate between data points without having two data points. in order to interpolate, the game has to wait for the second data point and then calculates the intermediate data points. that buffering time is the reason why your client's view of the model feels behind where the server thinks the model is (in addition to standard server-client latency). so no, having interpolate off doesn't show you the same data points as having interpolate on.

trying to tell if someone's 'interpolating' via demo is still not impossible, just more subtle

here's a question: if interpolation is filling in between data points, and when a player is playing the game they're behind the server by a few round trips, do they see different terp/pft than in a demo, even with the same terp/pft settings? the demo already has all the data points

i don't know but i would wager a guess that it would turn out the same. the interpolate setting is a time delay, not a "try to draw as soon as we get the next packet from the server". waiting 64 ms before drawing is the same whether you're in a demo or playing live

actually thinking about T:A and how cappers warp like shit because it seems like theres literally no interpolation in that game at all

if u watched a demo of someone chasing that guy, you'd see his cursor move to the new location the capper warps to, so it would be obvious that there's no interp - if there was, you'd see them follow the capper more smoothly

so yeah i guess i take it back, you probably can see interp

i don't know but i would wager a guess that it would turn out the same. the interpolate setting is a time delay, not a "try to draw as soon as we get the next packet from the server". waiting 64 ms before drawing is the same whether you're in a demo or playing live

wait maybe im not understanding this right at all - how is it a time delay? you're way more technical than i am, maybe there are nuances i dont get

heres how i understood it

you have 3 packets from the server. one says x = 1, two says x = 5, 3 says x = 10

with no interpolation or prediction, you receive packet 1, and it draws the player at x =1. they stay there until it gets packet 2, and warps them to x = 5, and they stay there until you get packet 3 and they warp to the final value of x = 10

and with interpolation, you see x =2, x =3 etc between the packets, but the player will still be at x = 1, x = 5 and x = 10 on your screen at the same times

no?

wait maybe im not understanding this right at all - how is it a time delay? you're way more technical than i am, maybe there are nuances i dont get

heres how i understood it

you have 3 packets from the server. one says x = 1, two says x = 5, 3 says x = 10

with no interpolation or prediction, you receive packet 1, and it draws the player at x =1. they stay there until it gets packet 2, and warps them to x = 5, and they stay there until you get packet 3 and they warp to the final value of x = 10

and with interpolation, you see x =2, x =3 etc between the packets, but the player will still be at x = 1, x = 5 and x = 10 on your screen at the same times

no?

at this point i'm just speaking out of my ass but but the interpolation setting is the amount of time the game buffers. so if your client is set to interpolate 64 ms, then your client buffers 64 ms worth of data and then interpolates the intermediate points. depending on the calculation, i imagine more data points means smoother motion

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Interpolation

i thought it was only how often between those known data points does it try to fill in the gaps, i didn't think that it buffered 64 ms of data but i guess it would make sense

also idk but reading that article it seems like valves definition of interp seems to also have some degree of prediction involved whereas w/tribe its 2 different values

interesting read so far

it does talk about how if their interpolation misses enough points it starts to extrapolate and uses a different value for that as well, so i guess it is a sorta hybrid/combined approach which makes sense

you get packet 1 with x/y/z AND a velocity vector

when you redjack you will see players continue walking forward even though you are not receiving packets any longer - that is the interpolation effect - from the X/Y/Z of the last packet received if PFT was 0.

if PFT was not 0 then the X/Y/Z would be calculated from the velocity vector times the PFT time and the ghost would be drawn at that X/Y/Z rather than the X/Y/Z sent at the last packet - then the ghost would walk forward at the velocity vector while you are redjacked.

interpolate and predict forward time use the velocity vector - IMPORTANT.

so 2g00d r u saying it is impossible to chaingun at a very high accuracy without the help of interpolate??? this is v. nonsensical pls read gr00ves post on previous page.

next thread i gonna make is what is the average iq of posters on this website holy fuk

dare is skum

imo i am 2good@tribe Hmmm

Back