I'm thinking about converting my WRX to e85

P Masta Flex

Contributor
Veteran X
I'm thinking about converting my 08 WRX to e85. 105 octane would make for some interesting tuned power, and while e85 fuel economy isn't as good, turbocharged vehicles suffer less. economy wise, I'll be better off per gallon, and being as it would be a performance upgrade I dont think of the cost installation as part of the "dollars per mile" so to speak, more as part of the hobby fund. Thoughts?

e85 is 2.89 at the local station right now.

You'll have to replace your entire fuel system when you swap over to e85. Once you learn how much of a fucking waste it is and how HORRIBLE e85 is, you'll have to replace your entire fuel system, yet again to get back to gasoline. Not only is there fuel system replacement, you'll have to retune the car, you'll leave your warranty in shreds and will be FUCKED if you ever need e85 out on the road.

You'll have to replace your entire fuel system when you swap over to e85. Once you learn how much of a fucking waste it is and how HORRIBLE e85 is, you'll have to replace your entire fuel system, yet again to get back to gasoline. Not only is there fuel system replacement, you'll have to retune the car, you'll leave your warranty in shreds and will be FUCKED if you ever need e85 out on the road.

the tuning isn't a problem, I'm doing that anyways. one of the best subaru performance shops is 4 miles from my house.

new fuel pump, new injectors, and a protune I'm doing anyways. I'm not seeing the negative for me. oh, and I can put 91 octane maps back in as I've got the cobb tuner anyways. I can switch on the fly if I had to (and I'll just take my 2.5rs on long trips)

yeah do you even have anything to tune the car with, for example cobb access port, aem ems, etc? If not then I wouldn't even bother. My understanding was all that needed replacing in the fuel system was the lines because the E85 will eat through them after awhile but I could be wrong.

yeah do you even have anything to tune the car with, for example cobb access port, aem ems, etc? If not then I wouldn't even bother. My understanding was all that needed replacing in the fuel system was the lines because the E85 will eat through them after awhile but I could be wrong.

reading - -

and as far as the fuel lines go there's a guy on NASIOC who's been doing this since 2002 and his are still fine. maybe after a longer period of time it may be an issue, but that remains to be seen.

why would u even think of that
p.s. sell 08 wrx, buy 05 sti, profit :D

because I'm thinking I wont even want to drive it daily in a year at the current rate of things, and I'll be on a motorcycle.

and until I turn 25 next year, insurance... yeah

You've got that gay looking hatchback, don't you? Perhaps a PT Cruiser or Chevy HHR would be more your style.

u dont need to replace your fuel lines

is your wastegate computer controlled? you'll definitely need to change at which boost pressure you open the valve

reading - -

and as far as the fuel lines go there's a guy on NASIOC who's been doing this since 2002 and his are still fine. maybe after a longer period of time it may be an issue, but that remains to be seen.

Going back and forth between the two will leave residue in the fuel lines, injectors, etc and will not be good for business. If you stick with one fuel type it is wise to replace the fuel lines and injectors, etc, but you probably wouldn't have to on such a new car. Eventually though, the e85 will eat all of your fuel lines.

E85 has roughly two thirds the energy that gasoline does. Enjoy paying 75% of the cost for 67% of the energy.

Back