Fixing the roads, changing America

alright validunce, how about the power companies buy it off the road system, this revenue stream then used to pay for said roads.

Data I think had questions with regards to hills and curves
We are currently in our Phase II SBIR contract with the Federal Highway Administration. We're building a 12-foot by 36-foot solar parking lot outside our engineering lab in Idaho. The parking lot will be fully functional, with solar cells, LED's, heating elements, and the textured glass surface.

Thank you everyone for all of your much appreciated support! In the meantime, our Facebook fan site is the best place to watch for updates on our progress and join in the conversation with other supporters.

Phase II tests performed on the glass so far:

Load testing
Traction testing
Impact resistance testing

The glass has exceeded all expectations and we're really pleased with the results.
With the new shapes (see photo below), we're now able to easily pave curves and hills. We won't even mention the "coolness factor"!

Final assembly should be completed by the end of 2013.

They have new designs for the glass that allows them to curve the road
Progress%20-%20Glass.jpg

making the base layer, secondary layer, and a heat test:
Progress%20-%20Base%20layer.jpg

Progress%20-%20Internal%20support%20structures.jpg

Snow%20test.jpg

Solar Roadways - Phase II Prototype

read the thread bro
4.4 million for: road
power plant
upgraded power grid infrastructure
upgraded data cables
water management solutions

not fucking bad and not nearly as oil dependent

I love that every time there's some big proposal like this, even when it's made it to the testing phase\government contracts\etc... there are 20 people in the first 2 pages on tw that see right through it to some ingenious flaw no one else has picked up on. :rolleyes:

LOL WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THERE IS DIRT ON THE ROAD LOL!

Same shit happened with the quantum computing thread a week ago. Some dumbshit was mad that they were testing it with some image recognition algorithm instead of taking a crack and ending world hunger somehow.

$4.4 million per mile? Yeah it isn't like that is prohibitively expensive or anything in the least.

if a freeway, sounds pretty reasonable best i remember. road printing is expensive stuff.

edit: didn't realize this was page 6 and this comment probably already made.

no worries man

so the parking lot will be done by january
which means they get to test the shit during the horrible idaho winters
and i bet theyll drive on it and such, they've already performed some of those tests apparently

looks like unlike LHC, Fusion, and Space, we'll have some hard data by mid 2014 on this system!
yay cheer etc!

Back