[Official] Consolidated Features Thread by Perfect Prime - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page [Official] Consolidated Features Thread
Perfect Prime
Veteran++
Old
1 - 10-25-2008, 05:10

Overview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioware
Play Star Wars***8482;: The Old Republic***8482; and forge your own Star Wars***8482; saga in a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts. Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

Setting

Quote:
Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place more than 3,500 years before the rise of Darth Vader. The most powerful Sith Empire in history has emerged from deep space to attack the Republic and its legendary Jedi guardians. After decades of war, a tenuous truce has been established between the Sith Empire and the Republic, but events occurring in the game are leading the galaxy back to an all-out war.
Quote:
The game takes place in the Star Wars***8482; galaxy approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars***8482;: Knights of the Old Republic***8482;.
Features

Confirmed:
  • Will have a level-based progression system, as apposed to a skill-based system.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Ohlen
    We are going to have a level based system, and we are going to have a level cap, When we know what that is we'll share it with you.

• The game will feature a cartoony art style, almost reminiscent of WoW.

Yes, they're going to tone down the size of the lightsabers, but the style is staying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kotaku
    Art Director Jeff Dobson says that Old Republic will not have a totally realistic art style; but neither will it be too cartoon-y. The idea here, he says, is that they want a distinct look for the MMO that sets it apart from all others - one that will run on as many machines as possible without sacrificing the quality of the graphics.

• The game world will be massive.
    Quote:
    One of the other things about MMOs is that they're very big. Huge. Our game is huge. It's the equivalent in story content and square footage of every other BioWare game that has ever been produced and released combined. Just think of all those games, put them all together, and we have more content than that. That's a lot of content.

• Bioware wants a story-driven game.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel Erikson, Lead Writer BioWare Austin
    When we started talking about it, what we heard was "Well, you can't do a story in an MMO." We thought, "Well why?" The answer we pretty much got was, "Because people haven't." That didn't make a lot of sense.
    Quote:
    The stories in Old Republic are set by class. Each class will have its own unique story that can play out in tons of different ways (they don't want any two people to have the exact same experience, although they weren't entirely confident that this would be 100% true). The idea is that you could roll a Jedi, play the whole way through and then go back and play a Sith and never see the same content/cutscene/choices.

• The game with feature 'companion characters'.
    Quote:
    Your companion character will matter in a big way. You can collect more than one, but you can only keep one with you at a time. This character will grow based on the choices you make - you might even form a romance with them (or maybe kill them...?). They'll react to your choices, either encouraging a behaviour or freaking out when you do something bad like force-choking someone. They'll also have companion-specific quests that you can play out to strengthen (or destroy) your bond to your companion.

• Some form of instancing will be present in the game.
    Quote:
    Rich: Yes, there is going to be a form of instancing. That's very important to a lot of different things ***8211; being able to do storytelling, being able to do experiences that aren't disrupted in public areas ... they are a part of our game. We do have both though, and we want to make sure you don't feel like you are in a single-player game.

Jake: We feel because it's an MMO and players play MMOs because they want to feel like they're a part of a vast world, you can't make too heavy use of instancing or you take that feeling away. It is a balance, though, like Rich was saying.

Rich: I met my first friends online by getting in trouble with a monster and they came over to rescue me. That is the kind of experience you can't get without public areas.

• Bioware wants to focus on fast paced combat where the player feels outnumbered.
    Quote:
    Basically, when we call it Star Wars combat, what we want to bring to the MMO space is combat that feels like it's coming from the Star Wars movies. Typically, MMO combat is very slow and is really caveman combat where you run up to a creature and hit the creature over the head with your weapon.

As you saw from the gameplay movie, we're leaning more towards combat that looks much more visceral and that it could've come from the movie. You've having lightsaber duels and blaster-like combat that is fast-paced and also heroic.

One thing that we don't want to have happen in our game is the situation where you get a bunch of players together to beat up one guy. That's just not very heroic and it's something that we don't want to have happen in our game. We're looking for much more heroic battles where you're the group that's outnumbered. If you think about the movies, the heroes are the ones that are heroic because they're fighting against the odds.

• There will be PvP
    Quote:
    There will be PvP in the game There's a reason why we decided to build two factions into the game,

The game is called Star *Wars*. We're always thinking about that. It's always about war. It's always about conflict. When the writers are penning the story, we always try to remind them that this is Star Wars. It's about the wars, and the conflict.

Think about the movies, that's what is exciting about them. Any sort of PvP mechanic we have we want to make feel like Star Wars. There are definitely certain things that that means....that I really can't talk about.

• There will be crafting.
    Quote:
    We are going to have crafting, which we think is a major part of MMOs. We're really hoping to implement that into the game in a way that feels right for Star Wars. For the longest time we were really struggling with crafting because it doesn't really feel right in Star Wars, but one of the designers came up with a great idea of how to incorporate crafting into the game without making the hero feel like he's doing something non-heroic.

• You won't start out as 'Good' or 'Evil'.
    Quote:
    The Dark Side and the Light Side are also going to be a big part of the game. You're going to be making decisions in your stories that are going to be bringing you towards the Light Side or the Dark Side. You can also try to go down a more "gray" path, much like Qui-Gon Jinn. All of those paths are acceptable paths in which you work to travel down. I don't think we've really seen that sort of system in an MMO before.

Rumored:
  • Space and ground vehicle warfare
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich Vogel, Co-GM BioWare Austin
    We can say that we'll have many different worlds for you to explore, and that you'll have a method you can use to travel from world to world. Again, we can't go into details on other space elements. That isn't something we can talk about at this point.

We also can't talk about ground vehicles. But, obviously, Star Wars has a lot of vehicles. So ... it's definitely something that is on our plate.

• Player-driven environments and towns
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich Vogel, Co-GM BioWare Austin
    We're looking into things like that, but we can't talk about it. Warhammer has been doing a lot of nifty things with Keeps along those lines. They're part of EA and we can talk to them about their experiences. We're allowed to look at all the stuff they've done with that.

• Guilds haven't been officially announced, but I can't think of an MMORPG in the last 10 years that didn't have them.

Denied:
  • n/a

Will update as more information presents itself.

Last edited by Perfect Prime; 10-25-2008 at 06:32..
Sponsored Links
Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 10-25-2008, 10:31
Stickied, thanks!

cheezit
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 10-26-2008, 20:45
big gameworld, story driven, no 5 on 1 pve combat. it almost sounds like AC.

lets hope they have nothing resembling zones(other than different worlds of course) and the pvp is half decent.

Perfect Prime
Veteran++
Old
4 - 10-26-2008, 23:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
big gameworld, story driven, no 5 on 1 pve combat. it almost sounds like AC.

lets hope they have nothing resembling zones(other than different worlds of course) and the pvp is half decent.
We'll have to hope...I can definitely see them putting zones into the game; I mean look at KOTOR, which I'm guessing this game will have a lot of similarity to.

As for the PVP, could be good seeing as they've mentioned it's going to be an important part of the game.

Honestly I see this feeling more like a single-player RPG that you'll be playing with other people, sorta like Guild Wars, but hopefully better.

But I don't really mind as long as it's fun and holds my interest...and since every other Bioware game I've ever played so far has, I've got high hopes for this one.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 03-20-2009, 23:44
Bounty Hunter - Trooper
Imperial Agent - Smuggler
Sith Warrior - Jedi Knight
Sith Inquisitor - Jedi Consular

Last edited by Senty; 12-24-2009 at 18:06..
Senty
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 12-24-2009, 18:05
All the classes have been released, updated the previous post with what seem to be the counterparts.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 02-01-2010, 08:45
STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Information gathered on The Old Republic so far!

JudgeU
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 05-05-2011, 10:35

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 06-13-2011, 09:56
UPDATED as of June 13th 2011 - Post E3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Information gathered on The Old Republic so far!

I like the sound of your craft skill being a reflection of time invested in your craft. I always liked crafting when it's as big of an investment as your character itself - or a character class.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page [Official] Consolidated Features Thread

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
mmorpg , star wars , sw: tor , swtor