Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Any Tool-Aholics Here?
Page 2 of 3
KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
21 - 07-10-2015, 20:34
Yes, you are technically correct - it is a low voltage system. The hi voltage scenario came into effect when each one of the low voltage pins came into contact with each other and made it temporarily hi voltage. ~90 volts.

Sponsored Links
Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 07-10-2015, 20:37
I thought this thread was about Tool.

Texas Dragon
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 07-10-2015, 20:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
24 - 07-10-2015, 20:43
i work with tools, i made thread about tools, i listen to tool, i have become the ultimate tool.

ButtDart
VeteranXV
Old
25 - 07-10-2015, 20:48
What are good mid-range tools to buy for home use? You know, less expensive then Dewalt but more quality then Harbor Freight? Below are some I see at the big box stores..

I want a new set of drills etc.... my "new" craftsman from xmas suck.

Milwaukee
Ryobi
Makita
Porter Cable

Fling
VeteranXX
Old
26 - 07-10-2015, 21:13
For the home owner, I always recommend corded things. Batteries for tools are just like cell phones.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
27 - 07-10-2015, 21:33
Homeowner or pro, buy Makita or DeWalt. I dunno if Milwaukee has gotten better, but I've had several chargers and batteries die and never bothered buying their tools again. All my **** now is Makita. Granted the Milwaukees endured some serious hardships out in the freezing cold weather but still - I use that **** for work and it needs to last longer. Makita has been superb.

The basic sets go on sale often enough that there's no point cheaping out, IMO. If you don't use em often, keep the batteries in a state of 80% charge and they'll last forever. My Makita chargers turn a light on at 80%.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
28 - 07-10-2015, 21:47
Bosch are also pretty good.

They always used to have a home and industrial range but even the home ones were still pretty good.

I've been using a Swiss made Bosch cordless drill for almost 20 years and except for replacing the chuck it's still going strong (unfortunately, I don't think they make them in Switzerland anymore)

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
29 - 07-10-2015, 22:02
Milwaukee and Makita are comparable in quality and price.
I dont know about porter cable.
My neighbor had a ryobi cordless set and it seemed ok for the sort of stuff he did around the house.

WeRe-|WoLf|-
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
30 - 07-10-2015, 22:05
Just a casual work in progress, but I've been building my little workshop in my spare time using nearly 70% recycled materials. Most all of it is improved since these pics, lighting, interior and exterior finishing, but this is what you get for now.

Most tools not pictured, obviously. I have some decent jack of all trades sets, one each for mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, audio, phone/networking, and so on. I'll make an attempt to show some of it if there is interest.

There is now a rail around the "loft", and even a little spiral stairway

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
31 - 07-10-2015, 22:08
I wanna see some vintage shop tools

I would love a drill press like that

bam
VeteranXV
Old
32 - 07-10-2015, 22:44
Post your garages in this thread

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
33 - 07-10-2015, 22:44
nice shop, good feel

i've got ryobi, had them for a few years now and used them on a few projects like dining room and kitchen remodel, deck build, and general stuff around a couple houses
they are battery LiOn and last a while, charge fast and so far everthing is working well

KingSobieski
VeteranXX
Old
34 - 07-10-2015, 22:49
ill take some more pics of some stuff i built at work tomorroz

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 07-10-2015, 22:58
I got one of these for xmas and I'm still looking for things to use it on. I borrowed one to complete some plunge cutting and flush cutting tasks in the kitchen and immediately decided it was something I couldn't live without. now I've had one for 7 months and I haven't used it.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
36 - 07-10-2015, 23:01
whats it do?

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 07-10-2015, 23:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDart View Post
What are good mid-range tools to buy for home use? You know, less expensive then Dewalt but more quality then Harbor Freight? Below are some I see at the big box stores..

I want a new set of drills etc.... my "new" craftsman from xmas suck.

Milwaukee
Ryobi
Makita
Porter Cable
I have a multi-tool cordless ryobi kit someone bought me as a housewarming gift. basically this kit (Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Super Combo Kit (4-Piece)-P883 - The Home Depot) but with ni-cads. the tools are blue instead of green and they're compatible with the li-ion batteries. I have a large li-ion pack and that's pretty much all I use with the drill.

the cordless reciprocating saw and circular saw are really underpowered but I can see them (and they've been useful) in a couple spots where I needed some light cutting work and didn't want to/couldn't drag up the corded models. outside of that they're pretty useless. the drill, however, is pretty solid and has exceeded expectations. if I was using it every day as a tradesman I might have a different opinion, but for occasional weekend projects it's cheap, durable, and gets the job done. the light was super handy in the crawl space, but these days I'd probably just use my LED head lamp.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
38 - 07-10-2015, 23:09
i'll follow up from that
the drill is awesome
the circular saw is alright, but trying to cut a 2x4 is a pain in the ass, the blade just barely does it. the battery life is alright with the saw

the reciprocating saw EATS the battery
you get maybe ten good minutes with it before having to fully recharge
i had to shave a 4x4 deck stud slowly due to a ****ty angle and other factors and it did the job very well, but was tedious due to battery life

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
39 - 07-10-2015, 23:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
whats it do?
Its a flush-cut saw... It oscillates back and forth like 3-5 degrees really fast. Has various specific uses. Mine collects dust because blades are expensive and damn near worthless at cutting anything substantial.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
40 - 07-10-2015, 23:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
whats it do?
it's a vibrating multitool. you can put different saw blades on it, different profiles, different purposes (wood, metal) and you can cut flush against the floor and even go through nails and screws. you can also plunge cut so if you needed to cut a square hole 2 inches in diameter straight though a chunk of wood you could do it. it will also take sanding pads and scraper blades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdkAmgsdIg

Page 2 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Any Tool-Aholics Here?

Social Website Bullshit