FPS improvements

mEEK

Veteran XV
From Reddit:
Official tip on vastly improving your framerate : swtor

This was an official post in the german forums today: STAR WARS: The Old Republic - Performance

Translation: we fucked up, game is using directx 9 files not included in directx 10/11 by default, so you need to download the directx 9 distributable for optimal performance. Theory is that basic directx 9 stuff was being emulated by directx 10/11.

I don't seem to video lag as much in republic fleet anymore since I installed dx9. :D

Download: DirectX Redist (June 2010) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

I just re installed Winblows on a new ssd about a week ago, so i didn't have DX9 yet. It seemed to pickup about 10-15fps in core area of the Imp fleet but no more.

Going to play around with a ramdrive next. Game runs pretty slick on my rig, but it seems to have its hiccups in places.

M4 SSD
16GB RAM
i5-2500K
GTX560
Win7Ultimate

Game settings maxed: 60+FPS in almost every situation. Still gonna try this to see if there's any noticeable improvement.

I haven't tried this yet, as there is no need to anymore with what I tried.

If this doesn't work and you have a similar system to mine, this worked for me:

(I am running a 2.4ghz duo, 4gb ram, Geforce G210m... not the greatest system as you can se)

In Nvidia control panel, turn Anistropic Filtering and Antialiasing to their maximum settings, force Vsync and enable Triple Buffering. Then in the game set the graphics settings to the High preset, then Low, then High again, disable Vsync in the game, and scale down to your liking.

I set mine to:

Textures: High
Character Detail: High
Shaders: low
Shadows: off
Bloom: off

With these same settings I was getting averages of 16-20 fps in big out doors areas. Now I'm getting averages of 25-30 fps. Much better, especially for my system.

Setting shadows to low instead of off will give you the same results, and it won't look like everything is floating a few inches off the ground. :)

Was better for me with shadows off.

Everything else is maxed out and I'm getting super smooth frames.

Core i7 920
12GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 460
1920x1200

I haven't tried the DX9 thing, but it's entirely possible that one of my other games installed it prior to TOR.

Setting shadows to low instead of off will give you the same results, and it won't look like everything is floating a few inches off the ground. :)

haha thanks you're right. no difference in performance whatsoever for me, but the subtle yet evident circle shadows at least create a visible plane on which people's feet meet the ground

Back