my barb template

Roga

Veteran X
I did as much research as I could into barbs and here is the template I'm gonna do:

creation:
mino
drop int/dex/spi by 5 each. drop str by 1
get blacksmith's apprentice, precise, tireless as starting runes

stats:
raise int to 40
raise str to max (180)
bring con up to 139
Order I brought them up was int to 40, then max str, then bring con to 139. Did int first just to get it outta the way.

skills:
axe, great axe mastery, toughness, athletics, parry, medium armor (only up to 85%), rage, vengeance (intend to max all of these).

Mino pros and cons:
-Higher str and con maxes, so more hp and higher damage.
-looses 2 armor slots (foot and head)
-5% faster run speed
-cannot use commander rune
-20% exp penalty
-very good without special runes or equipment
-stun immunity *huge bonus

HG pros and cons:
-can use commander rune
-no exp penalty
-can fill all armor locations
-can use winlord boots (add 15-25% run speed) *very hard to get your hands on
-doesn't really match up to a mino till you get commanders disc then it's a tossup IMHO

the Mino/HG debate is a very close tie in my opinion. I'm looking at it from a min/max perspective but either is extremely viable and you shouldn't feel compeled to go one way or another.

I had an alternate plan, with a lot less int but it didn't work out. You can't use int buffs or items to raise your skill cap for training purposes. My guess is that I will have 40-50 int by the time I get to 60, depending on exactly what my skill maxes end up as. One thing I really like is the starting runes I took. They are all very usefull the entire lifetime of the char.

Last edited:
I would like to but I think I'm gonna be short on stat points after maxing str. I'm trying to figure out what the minimum int I need to get my skills to 120% would be.

if you want stats to 120% you need 60 int.

and 220 str is great. but yeah you really need con so id say instead of a godly str rune just go with a 20+max str rune and hit 200 str giving you at least some health to tank with

as for the commander rune... the best thing about that for tanks is that it has basically a group purge... or so i thought. since your a mino you cant be stuned

i could be 100% wrong about everything i just told you

well, commanders get a group movement buff, and a group haste buff as well. Those two buffs are what I would take commander for.

I agree on the more con. Think I'm gonna do 180str, 100con, 60int. That should give me good hp and enough str to do massive damage.

minos can't get commander disc :( Only have 3 disc choices as a mino barb: gladiator, bounty hunter, huntsman. Thinking of getting gladiator for the buffs and bounty hunter for the snare. The lack of commander disc is the biggest problem with the mino IMO.

Roga said:
minos can't get commander disc :( Only have 3 disc choices as a mino barb: gladiator, bounty hunter, huntsman. Thinking of getting gladiator for the buffs and bounty hunter for the snare. The lack of commander disc is the biggest problem with the mino IMO.
if i were you i would get huntsman and gladiator. gladiator grants you a free GM heal (i just found this out im getting it for my templar) huntsman grants you a pet (damage over time) and free tracking. The bounty hunter snare isnt that good since its only effective for meelee range. as a barb the only thing you want to snare will be running from you anyways. IMO its not your job to snare people, its your job to make people want to run away :D.

Get the pet and the tracking (pet is 40 trains) and get gladiator for the health and for the ability to become a colision object.

MaD_ReBeL said:
if i were you i would get huntsman and gladiator. gladiator grants you a free GM heal (i just found this out im getting it for my templar) huntsman grants you a pet (damage over time) and free tracking. The bounty hunter snare isnt that good since its only effective for meelee range. as a barb the only thing you want to snare will be running from you anyways. IMO its not your job to snare people, its your job to make people want to run away :D.

Get the pet and the tracking (pet is 40 trains) and get gladiator for the health and for the ability to become a colision object.

I can already become a collision object, the only problem is that it makes you stationary (ie makes it useless IMO). I've heard the pet is gimpy, but I don't know for sure. I may end up trying it out depending on how many skill points I have left over. The healing and buffs will make the gladiator worth it though.

Yer right about the snare though, it's pretty much useless.

well, the pet isnt a tank. A high R3/4 mob will whack it in about 4 hits from what i hear but it deals on average about 80 points of damage.

lets say a battle takes 60 seconds. lets say your pet hits every other second.

30*80 = 2400 damage.

lets say your pet only hits 15 times in that 60 second time frame which is probably alot more realistic.

15*80 = 1200 damage.

I dont care how you slice it.....1200 damage in 60 seconds that only costs you 60 stamina and has a rediculously long timer is a no brainer. Pets are seriously IGNORED in GvG. Noone attacks pets directly so your hound not being able to take a punch is no big deal.

And hell, even if somone targets your pet thats damage youre not taking :shrug: i dont see a downside.

ok, decided I really don't want a pet, just don't like haveing one around. Also, gonna max vengeance so no rogue type char will mess with me *evil grin*

not gonna bother getting int to 60 until I need to, for now 40 is fine.

gladiator grants you a free GM heal (i just found this out im getting it for my templar)

i have it and it gives you a GM 'traat wounds', in a word,,, it sucks.
ok it DOES stop the bleeding effect that alot of dagers and swords cause, but the heal itself is laffable.

u can heal yourself or buddies for 22-39 pts of health at GM. oooOOOOoooo.

The other 2 things are the other 2 things are a person attack buff, (which is what i use), that i put 40 training pts into, what it does it raise your ATR by 40-140 depending on how many trains.

There is another thing u can train. it is resist pain.

Also requiring 40pts to train to max. It adds +2 to all resists with 1 pt, or +10 to all resists at 40pts of trainng.

I havent trained resist yet.

I love huntsman just for track. Havent decided wether or not to put pts into the dog, what i know is, the dog even at lvl 35 prolly wont be able to land any hits on a high lvl rogue.

But makes a good DOT vs tanks with low def like me, and possibly mages. The dog also enables u to attack from extremely long distances.

Chose wisely :)

SlotR said:
i have it and it gives you a GM 'traat wounds', in a word,,, it sucks.
ok it DOES stop the bleeding effect that alot of dagers and swords cause, but the heal itself is laffable.

u can heal yourself or buddies for 22-39 pts of health at GM. oooOOOOoooo.

The other 2 things are the other 2 things are a person attack buff, (which is what i use), that i put 40 training pts into, what it does it raise your ATR by 40-140 depending on how many trains.

There is another thing u can train. it is resist pain.

Also requiring 40pts to train to max. It adds +2 to all resists with 1 pt, or +10 to all resists at 40pts of trainng.

I havent trained resist yet.

I love huntsman just for track. Havent decided wether or not to put pts into the dog, what i know is, the dog even at lvl 35 prolly wont be able to land any hits on a high lvl rogue.

But makes a good DOT vs tanks with low def like me, and possibly mages. The dog also enables u to attack from extremely long distances.

Chose wisely :)

I've heard that the gladiator heal is shit as well, but it is free so no harm in taking it.

The attack buff is really the reason I would take gladiator. My attack rating with 100%axe,75%axe mastery (max the trainers will go up to right now) and with a +150 atr axe is 812. Even if I can get my skills up to 140 I would only have an atr of around 1100. This is pretty high except that some Blade weavers can get their defense to 1500+ which makes them very hard to hit.

The snare from BH looks really cool, -40% movement for something like 40 seconds. You have to be in melee range, but that's fine during a battle. If a barb can't get in melee range he's gonna lose anyway. It will be worth a 20 point investment IMO.

A temporary +10 to resists isn't worth 20 points IMO. To expensive for to small a result. I see the pet the same way. we'll see though, I'm still working with the template trying to iron it out so I can get the most benefit from the fewest points spent.

BTW, this build is awesome at taking down casters. I rape them senseless (just ask boston ;) ). I dueled a lvl 48 fury at lvl 34 and he didn't have enough mana to kill me :)

ok, added in a alternate template I am thinking about right now. Plan on trying this template when kazi gets to 60. I want to make sure the info I have been given is correct before rerolling.

rofl, I'm not planning on rerolling again for awhile. Will just split my time between my barb and my scout.

btw, will need a minimum of 20 int for a barb. Haven't figured out exactly what int I want yet, but I'm still working with it.

Back