Fusion power? YOU BET! by Goshin - Page 14 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fusion power? YOU BET!
Page 14 of 33
smash
Old
261 - 06-12-2010, 13:36
the biggest, or I could even say only real technological breakthroughs this century came as a direct result of military spending.

Sponsored Links
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
262 - 06-12-2010, 13:47
which was?

smash
Old
263 - 06-12-2010, 13:48
rockets, computers, the internet, nuclear power ?

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
264 - 06-12-2010, 13:52
oh, last century

Sircle
The Man ShowX
Contributor
Old
265 - 06-12-2010, 14:08

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
266 - 08-03-2010, 12:39
lets get smart!

according to smart people more in the know than me:
Quote:
Nebel's polywell team isn't due to announce anything until some time between November of this year and May of next year. However, the chief of the Office of Naval Research recently gave a presentation to high level military brass about future naval power, propulsion, and weaponry, and among other things, talked briefly about Polywell remaining on track and giving positive results so far and will be able to meet the Navy's needs for power for its future railgun and other energy weaponry needs. So this is encouraging even if there's no science released as of yet.
There you have it. I'll have tangible updates for this thread in a few months to 9 months. Not so bad!

But wait, there's more! Earlier in the thread i discussed grav inertial propulsion, vaguely, since it's way above my head. here's some information on it:

Quote:
Those interested in the Mach effect may find this latest paper interesting. It shows that a model assuming inertia is due to Unruh radiation can explain the Pioneer effect and why disc galaxies have a minimum mass. The paper claims that as accelerations decrease, the inertial mass of an object deviate significantly from its gravitational mass, causing accelerations to quantise.

[1004.3303] Minimum accelerations from quantised inertia

Readable layman take on the paper:
Can the Pioneer Anomaly Be Explained by Inertia Modification?

And lets not forget:

Technology Review: Blogs: arXiv blog: New Quantum Theory Separates Gravitational and Inertial Mass

[1006.1988] Inertial and gravitational mass in quantum mechanics

"Inertial and gravitational mass in quantum mechanics

Authors: E. Kajari, N.L. Harshman, E.M. Rasel, S. Stenholm, G. Süßmann, W.P. Schleich

(Submitted on 10 Jun 2010 (v1), last revised 15 Jun 2010 (this version, v2))
Abstract: We show that in complete agreement with classical mechanics, the dynamics of any quantum mechanical wave packet in a linear gravitational potential involves the gravitational and the inertial mass only as their ratio. In contrast, the spatial modulation of the corresponding energy wave function is determined by the third root of the product of the two masses. Moreover, the discrete energy spectrum of a particle constrained in its motion by a linear gravitational potential and an infinitely steep wall depends on the inertial as well as the gravitational mass with different fractional powers. This feature might open a new avenue in quantum tests of the universality of free fall."

Quote:
Hmmm, now the comment that "the spatial modulation of the corresponding energy wave function is determined by the third root of the product of the two masses" sounds very familar. Oh yes, I know, it's in one of Dr. Woodward's Mach-Effect derivation expansions that indicate that the M-E mass fluctuations are proportional to the cube of the cap dielectric energy wave's voltage. Looks like the QM guys are finally starting to catch on...
- scientist working on grav inertial experiments to prove the theory

Daemon
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
267 - 08-03-2010, 13:43
source of the polywell post?

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
268 - 08-05-2010, 17:16
here's what my source says
Quote:
Nebel and the Polywell folk aren't talking. Go poke around the focus fusion site instead as they are getting close to proton+Boron fusion and they can talk about it. Focus Fusion Society: Developing an environmentally safe, clean, low cost, unlimited energy source for everyone.

Edit:
You can find reference to the Naval presentation at talk-polywell.org but there are no concrete details because Polywell is a naval project and very much subject to press/data embargo. I didn't mean to imply that what was said about Polywell wasn't actually said, it was. I don't know if the Navy is blowing smoke but the Navy has a pretty good track record over the last 60 years of pushing technology into its warships so I grant them some credibility on such fantastic claims.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
269 - 08-05-2010, 17:17
I WANT FUSION IN MY MOUTH RIGHT NAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
270 - 08-25-2010, 15:03
Quote:
Assuming they can get WB-8 operating at beta=1, if losses scale at something reasonably close to B^.25*r^2 and the power scales at B^4*r^3, then there's a reasonable chance they'll be able to fund a full scale reactor in May.

Rick has said it's best to have two machines going at a time, so May 2011 could see the start of a WB-D/100/9 reactor to go along with the optional WB-8.1 if the WB-8 results look really promising (that would sort of make sense, because then the p-B11 results from WB-8.1 lead naturally into a second reactor for p-B11). If WB-8 results are very disappointing, then we probably won't even see the WB-8.1 built.

So in eight months, we should at least know SOMETHING.
just some chatter on a different forum

someone also asked a question, if it does work well, why wouldnt the navy just classify the **** out of it and bingo bango, we see no net gain in society as a whole

(but the navy cuts tremendous costs)

put that in the spaceflight thread accidentally
though if polywell works, it would redefine spaceflight as we know it...

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
271 - 08-25-2010, 15:11
There are too many US Senators looking to get re-elected to let a potentially game-changing tech like fusion power stay classified for more than 1 or 2 years.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
272 - 08-25-2010, 15:39
big oil would hate fusion power

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
273 - 08-25-2010, 16:02
Doesn't matter.

It only takes one "maverick" Congressman wanting to be the guy who campaigned for the first "free energy" fusion reactor in his district. Then the cat's out of the bag.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
274 - 08-25-2010, 16:06
good point

then again, the military has classified and confiscated most new metal/stronger alloy tech in the last 50 years...

to the possible deteriment of society?

Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
275 - 08-25-2010, 16:15
whackjob hippies

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
276 - 08-25-2010, 17:51
Classifying armor is one thing.

Classifying new energy technology is another thing entirely, especially given the nation's current attitude toward alternative energy.

Esteban_Villa
VeteranXV
Old
277 - 08-25-2010, 18:22
pour some fusion in my mouf, bro

LordMelkor
Veteran4
Old
278 - 09-16-2010, 01:21
Physics Buzz: Construction underway at ITER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashdot
It has been said that fusion is 50 years away for quite decades, but now work has actually been started. Digging has begun in the south of France on the planned site for France's first fusion reactor. A tokomak is a torus shaped magnetic confinement device which is necessary to withstand the temperatures associated with fusion that are so high, solid materials can't hold them. As such, the building represents the future core of ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor.) It will be interesting to see if it takes 50 years to build it.

arsin
Veteran++
Old
279 - 09-16-2010, 04:43
"Navy will save money." "Game changing fusion."

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but given past examples, do you really think either statement above is valid?

Anyone here thinks it makes sense to spend $50 billion on fusion research so that we can drop the price of a KwH by $0.04 cents? If that. No? Besides, do you think Edison Power will pass on the savings unto the consumer? Do you?

Elites (zomg there's that dirty werd) often make claims of "life changing wowbang" but really all we get is a faster aircraft carrier.

Perhaps with the amazing technological progress we've experienced for the past 150 years, we are starting to hit some dead ends? Yea maybe.

Last edited by arsin; 09-16-2010 at 05:19.. Reason: I was a little too bitchy
-=TTC=-Serpreme
VeteranXV
Old
280 - 09-16-2010, 06:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsin View Post
"Navy will save money." "Game changing fusion."

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but given past examples, do you really think either statement above is valid?

Anyone here thinks it makes sense to spend $50 billion on fusion research so that we can drop the price of a KwH by $0.04 cents? If that. No? Besides, do you think Edison Power will pass on the savings unto the consumer? Do you?

Elites (zomg there's that dirty werd) often make claims of "life changing wowbang" but really all we get is a faster aircraft carrier.

Perhaps with the amazing technological progress we've experienced for the past 150 years, we are starting to hit some dead ends? Yea maybe.
Yeah i'm with this douchebag, We only want new technology that already solves all our problems. We don't want incremental improvements. Its clearly a ploy from the government to spend our money!
:soapbo x:

Page 14 of 33

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fusion power? YOU BET!

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
chrisperger johnson , goshin , goshin fucks men , goshin is unhappy irl , goshin science lesson , shirtless fatty , shit thread shit poster , tokamak is best