going to a studio to sing/record with a band for the first time this saturday

Make sure you REALLY have your stuff down. Recording, even easy stuff, is extremely difficult. You can never be too well rehearsed for it. "We'll fix it in the mix" are often very regretful words.

Be 1000% hydrated. Drink shittons of water days in advance. Practice daily, but not too much - you don't want your voice blown out.

Prepare. Have each song printed out in terms of lyrics, even if you think you know the words backwards and forwards. You can laugh at yourself at the studio when you forget the 2nd line of the 4th verse.

Don't take yourself too seriously. You are NOT a signed recording artist. Treat the engineer/producer/recording guy with respect and realize he a) has a job to do and b) doesn't want to give you songwriting advice.

Don't drink the day before or the day of, until afterwards. :)

DO have fun, though. And post mp3s!

We just jammed out, didn't record anything that day. They wanted to see if I could pull off what they were looking for. I passed, and we go back to the studio on Wednesday to record a little and practice some more. Our first show is in 16 days. I'm pretty scared.

Luckily they're all really good musicians so even if I blow it, the instrumentals will be amazing.

Back