Best Midi Keyboard

Fonzie

Veteran XV
Thanks to some idiot who decided to slam into the back of my car and total it, I will have some extra money after I buy another car.

I'm looking for a 25-, 37-, or 49-key midi keyboard.

What have you guys used and what do you like best? What are good features to have?

I will probably be using this with Garage Band and Ableton Live, which will be on a Macbook Pro I will be purchasing with the money as well.

it depends, if you are going to be making a lot of drum tracks i like the smaller more bouncy keys, if you are going to do more synth or piano stuff on garage band get something with weighted piano sized keys. also i would recommend the 49 key if you are going to be actually playing stuff on it. I just use a cheap m audio one and then I have an electric piano with a midi out as well.

I probably won't be using it live too much but I'm not sure which is why I'm definitely leaning more towards the 37- or 49-key options. I'll be using it mainly for recording drum tracks (though I have an Akai MPD24 that I will probably use for drums) and bass/synth tracks.

Good call on the firewire, too. Latency is definitely whack through USB.

Back