Good point

Sponsored Links
Ender
ValtreX
Old
162 - 11-02-2009, 17:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoe View Post
Assume that if the game is good and you preorder, you get $0, and if the game is good and you don't preorder, you get -$2 since you could have bought it for $2 less.

Also assume that if the game is bad and you preorder, you lose $18, and if the game is bad and you don't preorder, then you get $0.

By this logic, you should only buy the game if you are at least 90% confident that it will be good.
is someone taking game strategy?

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
163 - 11-02-2009, 17:43
"game theory." i took it last semester. i think it's applicable here

lumoon
VeteranXX
Old
164 - 11-02-2009, 18:37
Man people are going to need all of the table as a mouse pad with this.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
165 - 11-02-2009, 18:46
Meaning that if I try to play it on a trackball I might be at an advantage?

Though I alraedy just use my entire desk as a mousepad anyway.

AniMisM
VeteranXX
Old
166 - 11-02-2009, 20:22
Looks interesting.

MentalPiracy
VeteranXV
Old
167 - 11-02-2009, 20:59
Dammit.. im so interested in this game im thinking about buying a good video card to play it..

Buk Naked
VeteranXX
Old
168 - 11-02-2009, 21:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMare View Post
makes a good trailer but I suspect the zero g combat would get boring fairly quickly
As opposed to what? The exact same FPS ground bound running and jumping that every other game has?

This is why Tribes ruined gaming for me. After 15 minutes of any standard FPS, they all feel the same and limited compared to Tribes.

As was mentioned by others, this looks a lot like Descent. Prepare for motion sickness.

arcadus
VeteranXX
Old
169 - 11-02-2009, 23:35
the new trailer looks badass

r00fies
VeteranXV
Old
170 - 11-02-2009, 23:50
pre-load is available for anyone else who has ordered

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
171 - 11-03-2009, 00:15
Hrm

I want to like and be stoked for the game... but despite what I see and want to believe is true according to the PR sales job of the 2 video's.... I don't think actual gameplay will be as good as it looks or what I perceive it to be from the video.

The "visuals" stoke my imagination, which in turn builds expectations that I don't think that game will meet.

The game may be infantry in space, but it has an uncanny similarity (in appearance) to a regular space shooter simm except with humanoid spaceships.

The "spirit of intention" is awesome and the ambiance is defiantly exciting to think about... but I've played MP shooter games for 12+ years... and I know how the "spirit of intended plans" are the initial casualty when first contact with the enemy (IE: the Anonymous and Ambiguous Public) is met in a Multiplayer setting.

Players never play the game "as intended", they play it their own way.

Tribes is a perfect example.

?B-MAN
VeteranX
Old
172 - 11-03-2009, 02:48
In that second vid, is it me or does that male commander voice sound almost exactly like the medium in Tribes 1? Seriously it sounds like the same exact voice.

KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
173 - 11-03-2009, 11:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk Naked View Post
As opposed to what? The exact same FPS ground bound running and jumping that every other game has?

This is why Tribes ruined gaming for me. After 15 minutes of any standard FPS, they all feel the same and limited compared to Tribes.

As was mentioned by others, this looks a lot like Descent. Prepare for motion sickness.
I get bored quickly by those typical fps as well however at least with games like insurgency there is some strategy and tactics involved. After looking at those trailers I'm expecting the same tactic or two to be used over and over again.

MentalPiracy
VeteranXV
Old
174 - 11-03-2009, 13:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk Naked View Post

dude. u just opened my eyes. I have tried lots of FPS games but they all feel the same to me. it is tribes fault lol.

arcadus
VeteranXX
Old
175 - 11-03-2009, 14:51
some reviews have come out

http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/sha...zon-pc-review/

Shattered Horizon Review

MentalPiracy
VeteranXV
Old
176 - 11-03-2009, 19:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadus View Post
some reviews have come out

http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/sha...zon-pc-review/

Shattered Horizon Review
All positive.. nice..

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
177 - 11-03-2009, 22:17
Quote:
I don***8217;t think for one moment that I have God***8217;s gift to rigs sitting under my desk, but even with the latest stable drivers and all of the graphical settings slammed to their lowest levels, SH chugged and crashed on me multiple times. Keeping those minimal settings and enabling SLI made the game playable, but I was still disappointed that I couldn***8217;t experience what I know for a fact are breathtaking visuals. I guess I should***8217;ve expected my computer to fall to its knees playing a game from folks who make benchmarking utilities.

This was and now certainly is of interest too me. I was wondering about how "optimized" the game is. If your name is FutureMark and you've been collecting survey data on what gamers are using to play games for the last 10+ years... you better have a pretty good grasp of what your target audience can handle in terms of hardware requirement. I'd expect, in fact, that Futuremark of all developers would know how to release a scalable game that can accommodate the largest margin of players.

Anyone can turn out a pretty scene that melts peoples hardware. There's a difference between bench-testing and entertainment software and I guess this first attempt at a game will tell us if they know anything at all in the area of expertise they claim to be in.

Ender
ValtreX
Old
178 - 11-03-2009, 22:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoe View Post
"game theory." i took it last semester. i think it's applicable here
err right I mean game theory. why the **** did I say game strategy lol.

taking it right now.

just finished 2nd mid term going over information set problems, simultaneous and first second move games combined with mixed strategy pure strategy.

Killjoy
VeteranXX
Old
179 - 11-03-2009, 22:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury View Post
This was and now certainly is of interest too me. I was wondering about how "optimized" the game is. If your name is FutureMark and you've been collecting survey data on what gamers are using to play games for the last 10+ years... you better have a pretty good grasp of what your target audience can handle in terms of hardware requirement. I'd expect, in fact, that Futuremark of all developers would know how to release a scalable game that can accommodate the largest margin of players.

Anyone can turn out a pretty scene that melts peoples hardware. There's a difference between bench-testing and entertainment software and I guess this first attempt at a game will tell us if they know anything at all in the area of expertise they claim to be in.
if it makes you feel better i played it on a x64 3000+ and a GT8600 256MB and had no issues on medium settings

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
180 - 11-03-2009, 23:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
err right I mean game theory. why the **** did I say game strategy lol.

taking it right now.

just finished 2nd mid term going over information set problems, simultaneous and first second move games combined with mixed strategy pure strategy.
sounds like you have an easy class. have you solved for mixed strategy nash equilibria yet? Or subgame perfect nash equilibria?

Page 9 of 17

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Holy ****]New game: Shattered Horizon

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
i want to fuck twiggy