Stuttering issue

Strik3r

Veteran XX
Reinstalled today after having not played in a year at least...and the first time on this computer that I built back in May. Although my FPS never drop, I am getting a strange stuttering feel to my gameplay...it isn't nonstop, but periodic enough that it's both noticeable and annoying. I've been trying out Milk-Man's full directory linked over in the Resources thread, as well as an old config I found buried on an old external hard drive, and see it on both.
Playing on Windows 7 64-bit, i7 proc, radeon 4890 -- I'm seeing the issue regardless of what showfps(); is showing, whether it be 150 or 450..I never see the framerate drop, but there's definitely an issue.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

What antivirus do you have? Some will cause what you're describing. Also make sure to close all other programs. If that doesn't work try running a basic config without hudbot and see what that does.

I had to uninstall AVG antivirus because of this. Now I'm using Avira Antivir and it's been better

Hmmm, definitely not as noticeable (or possibly not there) in a completely clean install...but I noticed that in that install I can watch as it draws in the terrain (the closer I get, it finally draws the exact terrain), whereas in MM's it looks always drawn. Is it purely an ATI thing? Some kind of texture pack that I might have in MM's and my own config? I used to play (on my other config) on my 5 year old laptop, and this computer runs any current game maxed out -- kind of sad haha.

The problem might be attributed to the multi-core processor, set the core affinity for the tribes executable in windows task manger or alternately you can add the required parameters to a batch file.

its a hudbot thing

try type $pref::screensize=1; into console in game

you can also find that in clientprefs or andrew config prefs somewhere

that pref controls how much of the terrain your computer loads - with newer machines it is really bad unless it is set to 1 (loads the maximum amount). ati in general is pretty rough with tribes :/

To verify one of the possible antivirus causes you might try adding an exception to your scanner config for your Tribes directory. If it works maybe you could narrow it down to only whatever file or folder is being written to so much.

Yea, do what ops said. Also, try using my config the way it's currently set up, right click your Antivir and uncheck "Antivir Guard enable" for a brief time and then try it. See what happens.

its a hudbot thing

that pref controls how much of the terrain your computer loads - with newer machines it is really bad unless it is set to 1 (loads the maximum amount). ati in general is pretty rough with tribes :/

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else that had suggestions as well, I really appreciate it. It appears that this change did the trick, as it's no longer stuttering.

Again, I appreciate all the help -- now I can commence getting my rusty ass kicked :)

mine has been doing the same thing, i checked to see if $pref::screensize=1 was present in the the clientprefs and it already was so i have no idea

its a hudbot thing

Awesome. My comp's been doing this for ~2 years, Radeon 4870. Tanks! :)

its a hudbot thing

Can we fucking Sticky this shit?

Back