[Religion] "I want my kids to decide for themselves"

Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

overlooking some obvious stupidity

The Law no longer applies.

And Happy, the bible simply says that evildoers will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.

I think the bible is not specific because this is the area where deeds come into play.

Peter visited the Gentile Roman who had given gifts to the Lord. Now this Gentile really had nothing to do with what was going on at the time with the apostles. However, God still rewarded him for his gifts and brought salvation to his home.

They say good people shouldn't go to hell? Well he had a good heart, and it got him saved.

I know if you follow the Bible, you will find it to be true. But you can't add to what it says or subtract.

It also says we are not to judge who will ascend or descend.

overlooking some obvious stupidity

The Law no longer applies.

So I'm not interpreting it correctly? Where can I see God telling us this law no longer applies? I'm seeking the truth and you are calling me stupid. That doesn't seem very christian like.

Peter visited the Gentile Roman who had given gifts to the Lord. Now this Gentile really had nothing to do with what was going on at the time with the apostles. However, God still rewarded him for his gifts and brought salvation to his home.

So god takes bribes? Cool. I just need to make sure I have some lambs set aside to sacrifice in case he actually exists.

So I'm not interpreting it correctly? Where can I see God telling us this law no longer applies? I'm seeking the truth and you are calling me stupid. That doesn't seem very christian like.

I see your point, I just thought you were directing it more specifically at me. (being Canadian)

The Law has been fulfilled as Paul said and as Jesus said, we are no longer saved by following those rules as outlined in the old testament. The new covenant replaces it. This includes slavery and all the rules that were set in place governing the tribes of Israel.

So god takes bribes? Cool. I just need to make sure I have some lambs set aside to sacrifice in case he actually exists.

why don't you try real money, just like the roman did

but it wasn't the money that got God's attention, it was the state of his heart and the desire for God which caused him to give of his own worth.

isn't having God on your side worth more than all the money a person can have?

Bill Gates doesn't even know God and gives charity to fill the hole.

although, I think Bill Gates recognizes God, and that his riches have come from God in the first place and feels obligate to give back.

Last edited:
I hear this quite often...

I can't believe that I have to let you in on this little secret...but:

Children learn by example... 

So--with that in mind--when you claim that a child is being "brainwashed" when introduced to Christianity at an early age what is really happening in your camp of thought? Are you not setting an example of how much you outright despise the idea of the belief in something other than the tangible?

In essence--by your very neglect where introducing the child to an ethical tutelage--AREN'T YOU DENYING THE CHILD years of moral instruction?

Because, let's face it, your public school systems aren't exactly instilling the values of moral behavior as you might have hoped. They're more concerned with 'zero tolerance,' avoiding litigation, and teaching standardized competency tests. So which is it? Depend on the school system or depend on the parent? Whatever your answer, someone else of a non-religious nature disagrees with you.

So I'm bringing my children up in the Christian religion. As such, my children will be taught to tell the truth. They will learn not to prey on the weaknesses of the misfortunate. Additionally they will be taught to actively contribute to those less fortunate. They will learn to consider other, non-Christian, persons feelings when interacting socially. They will be taught to avoid prideful and scornful behavior. They will observe the nature of the Universe--as I have--in order to cogitate our place within said Cosmos. The same as every one of you are attempting right now...

So how am I denying my children the ability to decide for themselves?

your idea of morality seems pretty shallow. with such simple reasoning skills, I can see why you'd think that the only way to raise kids with decent character is to scare them with stories

I hear this a lot, but I don't see where in the bible it says that.

It's the whole "oh...that stuff was in the old testament. god used to believe that slaves were cool, but not since jesus came." jesus was like the Abe Lincoln of christianity.

It's fairly easy to raise a child. First you have to instill fear, this will later be the groundwork for their obedience. When they first learn to talk and can comprehend you, you may begin training. For example, when your 2 year old decides he/she doesnt want to follow your rules, you lock them in the basement reinforcing the idea that you make the decisions because they are obviously inferior and require your support. Don't let them out until they've cried hard enough to satisfy your sense of dominance.

Another method which gathers favorable outcome is the Slap, toss, and degrade method. Next time your child decides to back talk, slap him/her in the face, throw away their current favorite toy, and then threaten to do it again if they challenge your authority with their inferior intellect.

"I want my kids to be christian"

I hear this quite often...

I can't believe that I have to let you in on this little secret...but:

Children learn by example... 

So--with that in mind--when you claim that a child is being "brainwashed" when introduced to agnosticism at an early age what is really happening in your camp of thought? Are you not setting an example of how much you outright despise the idea we don't really know what happens?

In essence--by your very neglect where introducing the child to an ethical tutelage--AREN'T YOU DENYING THE CHILD years of real moral instruction?

Because, let's face it, your public school systems aren't exactly instilling the values of moral behavior as you might have hoped. They're more concerned with 'zero tolerance,' avoiding litigation, and teaching standardized competency tests. So which is it? Depend on the school system or depend on the parent? Whatever your answer, someone else of a religious nature disagrees with you.

So I'm bringing my children up Agnostic. As such, I will teach my children to tell the truth. They will also learn not to prey on the weaknesses of the misfortunate. Additionally they will be taught to actively contribute to those less fortunate. They will learn to consider other, Christian, persons feelings when interacting socially. They will be taught to avoid prideful and scornful behavior. They will observe the nature of the Universe--as I have--in order to cogitate our place within said Cosmos. The same as every one of you are attempting right now...

So how am I denying my children the ability to decide for themselves?

I would like to take this time to thank my parents for forcing me to go to Sunday school for 6+ years just so I can get my first communion. I feel blessed that I was made to get up early on Sunday morning to hear old men and women droll on about how important the bible is and how infallible it is. I was touched by the hand of god many times as he guided me through my many questions about the inconsistencies of the bible and how it was best to take it as gospel. Had I not gone to sunday school there was a rock solid chance I might have grown up to be an immoral drug user and quite possibly gay.

God, even though my parents marriage failed before I was 12 I know going forward that I can count on the great and many blessings that you will bestow upon me during my lifetime as you have already shown me. Your hand is in everything and I truly felt your presence the day the Twin Towers felt allowing a bunch of New York souls to come and visit you. I look forward to the next act you have planned for us as I'm sure it will be a real show stopper.

Now with that bullshit out of the way ...

God doesn't teach morals people. The Bible doesn't teach morals. Neither of those have a voice. The people behind them do along with a fuck load of ulterior bullshit. If I do have kids someday they'll be taught morals and manners. They'll be taught that there is a generation out there that is spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement and that it's completely wrong. They'll be taught that there are a bunch of religious freaks that will be condescending towards them saying you're inferior. They'll be taught right and wrong and be given the tools needed to make themselves a better person in this world without ANY of the trash dumped in that religion would bring into the mix.

It's the whole "oh...that stuff was in the old testament. god used to believe that slaves were cool, but not since jesus came." jesus was like the Abe Lincoln of christianity.

Yeah Jesus was all like, "My dad, and by that I mean me, was a bit of a dick in the past but now everything is going to be chill."

Yeah Jesus was all like, "My dad, and by that I mean me, was a bit of a dick in the past but now everything is going to be chill."

No kidding. Religion would have us get down on our knees and beg for forgiveness over even the most petty of shit. Meanwhile he wipes out people in floods, kills children in Egypt, crushes entire cities. What do we get? "My bad. Now love your fellow man oh and make sure you tithe."

I will follow this post up with a thread ending long youtube video. But first a hint..

Religious cults have nothing to do with morality or truth, but rather are mere superstitious conformity based on fear of social disapproval and pompous self-righteousness.

"Faith" is a synonym for prejudice. Willed belief in the direct opposition of reason and evidence.

this is what i'll teach my kids:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

- Richard Dawkins from the Root of All Evil

dawkins should replace his used of the word religion with ideology (noting religion is also an ideology).

Back