Downloading now, thinking about playing

Uncle Slappy

Veteran XV
Is it just mining all day or can I be a pirate and just shoot stuff? I played for like 2 days solo a while back and it seemed like it was mine forever and still be poor.

Yep but like any game,you need a start. You cant just Pirate people right away,as they would more then likely escape from you or return the favour.
While you can be a oppurtunisct pirate,as in blow up a semi defenceless frigate, it'd be hard. So some mining is usually done.
Althought that doesnt mean you HAVE to. You can also run things from station to station and you could blow up NPC pirates too for money.
Its not all about the mining,but it was for me.

I just started a couple of days ago. If you want to be a researcher/ship builder, it seems like your best moneymaker is going to be Mining in the begining. If you're going to be a pirate/bountyhunter/combatant then missions are your early bread winner.

The mission structure is very confusing at first but I think I've figured it out and broken it down. Basically, go around to different "stations" in the solar systems nearby your starting station (dear gawd, DON'T forget to bookmark the starting station!) and look at the Agents available to you. Different agents offer different mission types, and finding a station with more agents with similar mission types will make your life much easier. There are mission types for combatants AND non-combatants (miner/builders/reaserch/delivery), I'd give you a clearer view but I'm still learning myself.

Read the stickies in this forum AFTER you complete the tutorial phase of the beginning game. I found that until I had gone through the tutorial everything in this forum was like reading greek. Again though, READ THE STICKIES, there's a lot of great advice there.

Also, once you figure out how to get into chat channels, IMMEDIATELY start idling in "tribalwar" and say hello. It's good to occasionally glace at what's going on in "newbie help" for little scraps of info, but I quickly found that "Newbie Chat", although helpfull, if generally full of shitheads whose typing will make your eyes bleed.

After I've been at it for a week I think I'm going to write a "What I wish I knew about EVE before I started" thread.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
It's true, minmatar ships are the kings of pvp

the can dish out temendous amounts of damage, and the ships are very fast.

BUT

They're also made of paper.

I started ~3 weeks ago, started my character based on the newb guide sticky, chose the minmatar guy because of the superman type description. Pretty happy with the choice so far, though I wish their ships didn't look like flying scrap heaps :[

Also I never did any mining beyond the veldspar you do in the tutorial and I'm flying a Cyclone (battlecruiser) now. Kill missions + loot and bounties you get doing them can net you some good cash.

Hardest part about starting out was probably figuring wtf all the millions of different items and weapons were and what I should use from them.

ATM i don't know if i should keep trying to go up in ship size towards battleship or go for an interceptor/assault ship. For missions it seems you need the bigger ships, but I'd cry myself to sleep if i lost a brand new bship in pvp, which I'm sure would happen pretty fast.

There are complexes now where you can actually make a good amount of money fairly fast. There's a 4/10 (difficulty rating) local to me where I make 5mil isk, and it takes about an hour for my caracal to run through.

If you're starting out, get yourself a good frig setup, then once you feel comfortable taking out 0.5 belt spawns, try a 1/10 or maybe a 2/10. When you work up to cruiser, try a 3/10.

Well right now I'm caldari, and I got into this game to blow shit up and PvP, do I need to roll a Minmitar(sp?) to play the game or should I keep my 3 day old character and learn minmitar ships with him? I kind of like the way my caldari looks, I wasn't counting on looking like "Jamaicans in Space" =/ (no offense to teh jamaicanses)

You can learn minmatar ships just fine. I have a min character, and I love caldari ships. Kestrel, caracal, and raven ftw!

nobody worries about your portrait. everyone's looks stupid.

Do you have a higher perception than most your other attributes? If not you might want to remake.

cool, I'll stick with this guy for now then and I'll keep learning the minmitar ships in mind for later

thanks for the info guys :)

Where can you find these complexes and how do you know their rating?

Edit: Also does anyone know if the cyclone's ship bonus to shield boosting and shield booster amplifier modules stack directly or are applied one after the other?

Last edited:
Brontez said:
Well right now I'm caldari, and I got into this game to blow shit up and PvP, do I need to roll a Minmitar(sp?) to play the game or should I keep my 3 day old character and learn minmitar ships with him? I kind of like the way my caldari looks, I wasn't counting on looking like "Jamaicans in Space" =/ (no offense to teh jamaicanses)
my 2nd char is amarr but flies mostly matari ships.

In fact, she can only fly amarr frigs and industrials.

Vlasic said:
my 2nd char is amarr but flies mostly matari ships.

In fact, she can only fly amarr frigs and industrials.
wow...geez.

I can fly any frig, any tier 1 cruiser or indy, and all cal and min cruisers and bs's and all min indies.

my first character was amarr. I picked amarr because It was told to me they are the king of tanks. Got an apoc, tanked it up and man it rocked. but my dps at my skill level was ass so I sold him.

I trained up a caldari while I was playing my amarr, got advanced learning done, and set him up to live in AF's and inti's and what a difference for me. No cap worries because of missles instead of having to worry about cap for lasers, wmd, webber, and warp scram..

plus the dps on my tech 2 lasers were so low compared to my tech 2 missles for the mob types I fight and players I tend to go up against that I will never look back.

the only thing I regret is not getting into a HAC with my amarr for a while. Minmitar if I continue to play eve (busy in rl right now) will be my next race, I hated the way their big ships looks but their inties and AF's look insane I love it.

Back