Excerpts from an old "Tribes 3" thread

[meph]DooM!

Contributor
Veteran X
I was reading some of the ancient TW posts and these struck me as somewhat amusing :)

P.S. I sure was a little weiner back then :-/

KineticPoet
Irrational Games

13 - Posted 11-02-2001 09:11 AM

I think there are two basic approaches you can take when making a sequel. Let's say your original version was a harpsichord. You could try to make your next version into a piano. Pianos have more keys, more touch sensitivity, and a more pleasing sound than harpsichords.

Or, you could try adding other instruments to go with your harpsichord in order to create a band or orchestra. I think this is what Sierra tried to do with T2. It didn't work, imo...the sound of the other instruments completely washes out the harpsichord, and the harpsichord became more of a xylophone.

If I had any influence in a Tribes upgrade (either from 1 to 2, or 1 to 3), I'd push for the harpsichord->piano upgrade. More intelligent maps, more interface flexibility, and a more pleasing graphics engine. Throw in some competition-specific enhancements (league stat tracking, instant replay support, VERY beefed-up observer mode, observer proxy servers, etc) and an extensive beta-test period, and I'd buy that in a flash.

There might be a third approach: scrap your harpsichord and try making a guitar. Nintendo is trying that with the new Zelda. We'll see if it works or not when it comes out, I guess,
KP

Thrax Panda
Sierra

61 - Posted 11-03-2001 02:27 AM

This is a good thread. I like it. People's opinions do matter to Alex and me (some more than others).

FYI, I completely discount people who say things like "I'll never play anything from them again", etc... I've heard it over and over and it's never true. What they are really saying is "I'll never play anything from them again until something good comes along that I want to play because my friends are all playing it".

At any rate I don't expect anybody to buy something because I say it's good. I expect them to buy it after they read a review they respect, or hear from a friend, that it's good. I expect that if/when we do another Tribes title the development process will be considerably different than what you've seen in the past. I hope when the times comes that you'll all keep an open mind and make a decision based on the merits of new titles, and not on the basis of old titles.

KineticPoet
Irrational Games

66 - Posted 11-03-2001 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Anguish
I think what Thrax said was "we'll never make anything like tribes 1.. Don't compare it to t1 else it'll suck"

or something ;|

but im tired..

Um, no...he said that he enjoys some of the intelligent feedback in this thread, and reassures us that if and when another Tribes-related product is developed, the development process will be very different. He didn't say anything about the product itself being very different.

I agree that people who poo-poo something that doesn't even exist yet are just looking for an anger-outlet. You can't tell me that if Sierra puts out a kickass Tribes 3 product, you'll refuse to buy it simply because of past problems. I'd wager that almost all of you would buy it. That's why we're all still here reading this message board and posting in this thread.

Lastly, how many of you who claim you wouldn't buy future Sierra products are playing DAoC right now? =/

On that note...hire me Thrax! =)
KP

ROFL

"Hire me Thrax"

"Sure, why not, come to australia"

"Always wanted sunlight..even though I'll be indoors"

"Tribes 3 + series rescue + community rescue, here we come"

It's interesting to see what KP said he would like to do with Tribes 3 before he was working on it and see if you can spot those ideas in what's actually happening.

The xylophone line made me laugh. :)

It looks like they are going fo the guitar approach with single player. We'll see how that works out.

ps hire me too.

Dac346_99 said:
Hire me thrax, I can jackoff and post on TW like marweas does all day with a few interviews now and again and important phone calls.
You give Marweas too much credit. He needs both hands to type.

It was reading KineticPoets essays on what was good about Tribes and what was bad about Tribes 2 that brought him to my attention. Now he's an honored Tribes dev. Just food for thought for those of you who think spelling, grammar, and writing skills don't matter in gaming.

Back