TR in T:V

Yeah Yogi, most of those maps sucked.

Here are my dream gametypes, with an idea of why I think they're good compared to current versions:

CTF: We all know and love the way this gametype works.

TR: This is so in depth of a design that it's up to TR's designer, not me. Really, I'd like a more TR1 design, but whatever. :p

DM:
Deathmatch is a great gametype. It's fun, it's a big fighting scrum! That said, Tribes deathmatch has consistently SUCKED in the last two versions. They made DEATHMATCH suck! DEATHMATCH! I'm amazed.

Past Versions:
Now, one thing that T1 and T2 deathmatch taught us, is that field pickups are not fun. While they work in other games, they've tended to interfere with what makes DM fun: killing. In T1, it was a complete joke. Field pickups do not work in Tribes games because we can switch armors. Where do you pick up the medium armor? Oh wait. ;|

New stuff:
So in a deathmatch gametype for Tribes, we need to eliminate the wait time between fighting. We need to spawn our players, right in their favorite gear. So let us implement spawn favorites. Mines, and all other passive things (such as deployables) are removed from this gametype. It is restricted to active packs, weapons, and such. You drop players into the fight, and let them kill each other. When players spawn, they spawn on any viable surface anywhere on the entire inbounds area of the map.

Gameplay and Goals:
Players are randomly spawned all over the map. They spawn in any armor, ready to fight from the moment they hit the ground. Momentary invulnerability (3 seconds) vanishes when you fire your weapon. One kill = one point. First to a certain frag count wins, or if it's configured on the server, most frags at the end of so much time wins, or if both are turned on: whichever comes first.

Last Man Standing Variant:
Like DM, but each player starts with only so many lives. Last Man Standing wins. If there are several people alive at time end, then the one with the most frags wins. If they are tied, then the one who has died the least, wins. If they are still tying, then the match is a draw.

King of the Hill Variant:
Like DM (including a point earned for a frag), but points are also scored by being in the sphere (the hill) alone. One second alone in the circle = one point. 10 second spawn delay when you die. First to 120 wins. Every 30 seconds, nomatter what, the sphere moves to a new position randomly chosen from those placed by the map maker.

Hunters-like Variant:
Like DM, but each consecutive kill without a death earns you more points. Second kill in a row = 2, third kill in a row = 3, etc. If you kill someone with a lot of points, you get half of theirs, and they lose half of theirs. First to 100 wins, or whomever has the most points at the end of the game.

Rabbit:
Wow Rabbit rocks. The chase is on!

What we learned from the past:
The more options, the better. T2 has had so many rabbit versions with so many good ideas. Too bad they aren't all one gametype with a huge options list.

New Stuff:
Options options options. Let us decide the points needed to win if we like. Let us limit weapons, make it spawn or inventory based, allow it to be made direct hit or MA only if we like, allow us to make it so that you can only score if you kill while being the rabbit. Let people give you option ideas in the beta. Options, options, options.

Duel:
Mmm... the mode for fighting in.

What we learned from the past:
Duel is good the way it is.

New Stuff:
Nothing really. It's a good mod as is.

Duel Tourney Variant:
Five maps, each designed to drop the player down a huge ramp and send them screaming into each other while everyone else observes. If you remember this from T1, it was fun. Everyone fought everyone once, and whomever had the most points in the end one. If you didn't win the duel in two minutes, then neither player won a point.

Aren
This works like in the past. Nothing more needed to be said. Great gametype.

Siege:
Siege was more popular than DnD. The balance of this game design lies WHOLLY in map design. Just include it again, and people will make it good if the maps you provide aren't so good.

P.S. Give tiny, global popup announcements when someone blows up important assets in Siege. This really helps.

These are all the gametypes I'd like to see.

Flatscan said:
Zoolooman I now understand your point. I think your perception of Hunters is deeply rooted in T2 Hunters.

T2 Hunters sucked badly both in its individual and team version. The primary reasons for the suckage were piss-poor map design and physics. I think Team Hunters is stoopid due to the camping that inevitably results. I prefer the wide-open single-player version.

If you were to have played T1 Hunters, I think you would have a much different view of single-player Hunters. Very little camping went on (except for 1 lame map where the Nexus was inside), the gameplay was hugely fast and furious, and the game was intuitive. If you played it for five minutes, you understood how to win. While strategy mattered, the strategy didn't require massive experience to pick up.

To be honest, I think Hunters fits your definition of "pickup and play" to a tee.

For the most part, TR also fits your definition of "pickup and play." The only reason it doesn't completely fit is flag passing and possibly beacon stopping.

TR2's complexity resulted from both of the above and physics that differed from Classic. As has been hinted, I think flag passing will become a bigger part of CTF (reducing the "pickup and play" gap). Further, my suspician is that some form of beacon stopping will be added to CTF (prolly just a dead stop, not pop up in the air - also further reducing the "pickup and play" gap). Finally, my gut is that the physics of ALL gametypes (CTF, TR, DM, Duel, Hunters, whatever) will be the same.

Given these changes, I think TR will easily fold into your definition of "pickup and play."

To tell you the truth, you're right. I played T1 from release and up until classic was finally made for T2 (god base T2 was so crappy), and in all that time, I only played one game of Hunters. I played T1 rabbit, TR1, CTF, DnD. You name it, I played it. But not T1 Hunters.

But then again, in T1, a person could actually dominate the map. *shrug* They weren't as easy to kill as in T2 (such crap).

All this talk about other gametypes is kinda OT, since this thread is trying to deal with Team Rabbit specifically.

I hope a very cool version of Team Rabbit is released with the game. If not, that don't confront me none. The community will create it, so long as they are given the power.

Mojo - If the community creates it, my fear is it will never take off. For TR to be big, it will need lots of support from the get go.

Zoolooman said:
Yeah Yogi, most of those maps sucked.

Last Man Standing Variant:
Like DM, but each player starts with only so many lives. Last Man Standing wins. If there are several people alive at time end, then the one with the most frags wins. If they are tied, then the one who has died the least, wins. If they are still tying, then the match is a draw.

King of the Hill Variant:
Like DM (including a point earned for a frag), but points are also scored by being in the sphere (the hill) alone. One second alone in the circle = one point. 10 second spawn delay when you die. First to 120 wins. Every 30 seconds, nomatter what, the sphere moves to a new position randomly chosen from those placed by the map maker.

Duel Tourney Variant:
Five maps, each designed to drop the player down a huge ramp and send them screaming into each other while everyone else observes. If you remember this from T1, it was fun. Everyone fought everyone once, and whomever had the most points in the end one. If you didn't win the duel in two minutes, then neither player won a point.

Aren
This works like in the past. Nothing more needed to be said. Great gametype.

Siege:
Siege was more popular than DnD. The balance of this game design lies WHOLLY in map design. Just include it again, and people will make it good if the maps you provide aren't so good.

P.S. Give tiny, global popup announcements when someone blows up important assets in Siege. This really helps.

These are all the gametypes I'd like to see.

YEAH. It would be amazing if all those game types are in the final release.

Man T:V could be so kick assed. I've got some faith in KP though.

Like Rabbid Poop said, TR is much like CTF where you need to be dedicated to playing it etc. This is what I think seperated Tribes from all those other FPS games out there. CS you can pick up in 3 seconds, same with Q3A and UT etc.
If TR is made with a long or steep learning curve it will keep players playing longer IMO.
From what I saw of TR2 it had a lot of extra elements added into the gametype. I personally didn't like the idea of goals and mega super long easy to catch passes. However, it did add extra elements which would have been useful in TR1 like bouncing the flag off other players etc.
To summarise, something inbetween the first and second TR would be spot on IMHO.

Back