No Interpolation variables in T3 please

[Khorne]Johnny X said:
I think interpolation settings should be BUILT INTO the network options of T3. That way everyone has access to them and can tweak them to suit their connection. The best interpolation setting is a careful balance between playing with a semi-smooth game and having accurate positioning.

Packet Size
Packet Rate
All Interpolation Options

Shoult all be under network settings. If it's possible to change interpolation in UT at all, then it should be out there for everyone to use.

This is why I've played at T1 line settings for the past two years and had near interpolation like movement.

Apotheosis said:
Following your reasoning, the graphics setting should be hard coded to the lowest settings for all players (regardless of what your computer can handle).

"This game shouldn't be about who can bear playing with the *lowest FPS*" ??

By increasing your graphics setting, you generally improve the visuals of the game at the cost of decreased FPS (increased jerkiness).
The interpolate setting is analogous -- By decreasing the interpolate value, you generally get a more accurate representation of where the players are, at the cost of increased jerkiness.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both sides of the spectrum, and it should be *up to the user* to decide what side he/she prefers.
Okay but not. Increased graphics settings put a player at a disadvantage. The best visual clarity (distinguishing one object from another, not how good each object looks) usually comes at very low graphics settings. Have you ever seen a screenshot from a competitive quake3 player's config? It looks worse than quake2. Personally I think it's lame that I can own someone at whatever game just because i'm willing to play with near 0 interp and blinding gamma.

Why don't you guys just go play console games? I built my PC myself to be the best machine possible, and if T3 won't let me use it to its potential, that's one game I won't be buying. I worked to earn my machine.... nothing is going to stop you from doing the same. Putting a performance cap on T3 is almost the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard... if you want an excuse for your lack of skills, go to CS, and whine with all of them.

TeckMan said:
Okay but not. Increased graphics settings put a player at a disadvantage. The best visual clarity (distinguishing one object from another, not how good each object looks) usually comes at very low graphics settings. Have you ever seen a screenshot from a competitive quake3 player's config? It looks worse than quake2. Personally I think it's lame that I can own someone at whatever game just because i'm willing to play with near 0 interp and blinding gamma.

Decreased interp settings put the player at a disadvantage too. The smoothest character movements usually comes at higher interp settings.

Take a look at that same Quake 3 player's config file... I'm betting he has his interp settings at one of the lower levels.

I must admit to being not totally informed about interpolation and it's various uses before today. I've done some research, talked to KP about it, and spent some time talking to some engineers at various dev houses we work with. The general feeling is that at best interpolation is not much of an advantage, more like a golf handicap. That is to say that a skilled player without interpolation will still be better than an average player with interpolation.

KP hooked me up with this link which describes how tick rate, ping, and netspeed work together in Unreal. The good news here is that servers have a great deal of control over this, and we can put the relevant info into the extended server info page if we want.

Thrax Panda said:
I must admit to being not totally informed about interpolation and it's various uses before today. I've done some research, talked to KP about it, and spent some time talking to some engineers at various dev houses we work with. The general feeling is that at best interpolation is not much of an advantage, more like a golf handicap. That is to say that a skilled player without interpolation will still be better than an average player with interpolation.

KP hooked me up with this link which describes how tick rate, ping, and netspeed work together in Unreal. The good news here is that servers have a great deal of control over this, and we can put the relevant info into the extended server info page if we want.

What about interpolation on the aforementioned stick?

I'm not playing T:V if they can hit me with the stick in a full 360 degree arc no matter where i am in melee range.

I still can't tell from that article if clients will be interpolating (smoothing out) player movement, or if they will just display the updates from the server and leave the movement somewhat jerky (no interpolation).

I can understand how the variables effect the server data and precision, but other than limiting the clients framerate, it doesn't say much about how the client will be interpreting the data it is getting :-/

Thrax Panda said:

Thanks for the response. I also tried to search for "Unreal interpolate" (and other strings) in Google, but was unable to come up with anything relevant. Perhaps interpolate will be a nonissue in T:V. Or maybe it just goes by another name. And your link was an interesting read as well, thanks.

Good night.

Last edited:
one way or the other, either make it easily configurable, so everyone knows about it at release, or make it impossible to change. This finding out about it 2 yrs after release shit just causes a firestorm of controversy in the community.

Wow this thread shows perfectly why communism sucks:

"lets cap everything to the lowest possible levels so that no one has an advantage"

"lets make pings set at 300, fps at 15, and make all the weapons fire at the same rate and damage. Then we will have no balance issues"

There will always be people with a better rig/connection. there will always be people who can own you with a crap rig/crap connection. Learn to play better and deal with it.

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
Wow this thread shows perfectly why communism sucks:

"lets cap everything to the lowest possible levels so that no one has an advantage"

"lets make pings set at 300, fps at 15, and make all the weapons fire at the same rate and damage. Then we will have no balance issues"

There will always be people with a better rig/connection. there will always be people who can own you with a crap rig/crap connection. Learn to play better and deal with it.

I'm assuming you're referencing my posts:

Apotheosis said:
Why would you want interp hard coded?
I think a good analogy is saying that the network settings ("56k" "DSL/Cable" "T1") should be hardcoded.
Doesn't make any sense to me.

Apotheosis said:
It should be up to the *user*

Following your reasoning, the graphics setting should be hard coded to the lowest settings for all players (regardless of what your computer can handle).

"This game shouldn't be about who can bear playing with the *lowest FPS*" ??

I was expressing how the (flawed) logic used to disallow modification to the interpolate setting, could also be used to argue the "hardcoding" of graphics values and ping time.

There will always be inequity in online gaming, but I feel that this is better compensated for by allow the user (and all users of the product) to change his/her own configuration settings (to a certain extent -- as long as it's not cheating) to better suit his/her computer specs, internet connection, preference for client side player prediction, et al.

jsut said:
one way or the other, either make it easily configurable, so everyone knows about it at release, or make it impossible to change. This finding out about it 2 yrs after release shit just causes a firestorm of controversy in the community.

jsut said:
i could care less as long as everyone has access to interpolate. When only some people have access to it, it provides an arguably unfair advantage. If everyone has access to it, then no one should bitch. (though they still will)

add in the capacity to read the settings for the clients as an admin and that works fine because it enables the competitive community to set enforcable standards (eg. dumpuser in moh). otherwise hardcode it so no one can touch it.

ZOD said:
They were undocumented varibles in both Tribes and Tribes 2, had the Dev wanted people to mess with them they would have documented or at least added them to client prefs. There is NO REASON they should be mesased with. People did JUST FINE without knowing or adjusting those settings.

Lock the game down as much as possible, lax it up as required, but do not leave the damn flood gates wide open from the start ala Tribes 1 and 2.

that is true, except that ANYONE could export all variables to a file and see every global variable there is in tribes2. If they didn't allow you to export the variables and they made the names less obvious then it would never have been a problem.

Back