[Religion] "I want my kids to decide for themselves"

I give up. This has been further proof that message boards are not the place for philosophical conversations. The internet gives millions of faceless, insecure people a way to provide their thoughts to the world while being detached enough not to have to take any rebuttal seriously.

I'm telling you the world is filled with millions of colors, you're telling me it's black and white. It's irrational ignorance and ego mania all rolled up into one.

Peace.

I give up. This has been further proof that message boards are not the place for philosophical conversations. The internet gives millions of faceless, insecure people a way to provide their thoughts to the world while being detached enough not to have to take any rebuttal seriously.

I'm telling you the world is filled with millions of colors, you're telling me it's black and white. It's irrational ignorance and ego mania all rolled up into one.

Peace.

Well I wasn't getting involved with the back and forth between the two of you but touching on this post to say that in fact yes there is only black and white. Matter and Energy. There are millions of forms but it still boils down to those two concepts.

How telling is it that the only way to make sure your kids believe in the same things you do is to make it their base of relating to the world before they gain the ability to exercise independent judgement?
Are you claiming that excluding religion altogether makes the situation you describe completely different?

And you've neglected to ask me what that base entails. There are virtues that you are ignoring such as truthfulness, self-sacrifice, introspect, love, charity and compassion. Religion teaches this; guaranteed at the very least one day of every week! I did say at the very least, didn't I?

Now, [let us get] back to example. Take a good look in this thread at those behaviors directed toward religion. I see most people are posting that they despise IT instead of the actions of those associated with it. They seem to think the religion isn't perfect when actually it's the followers who are to be blamed. Maybe if they had some religious instruction in their formative years they could more easily discern religion from religious transgression.

I will not reply to each and every post in this thread for reasons that should be obvious to those who have made them. I will respond as best I can when I have the time and if the person wishing to talk can--at the very least--bridle their contempt and offer up some legitimate dialog instead of prejudiced hearsay.

Well I wasn't getting involved with the back and forth between the two of you but touching on this post to say that in fact yes there is only black and white. Matter and Energy. There are millions of forms but it still boils down to those two concepts.
:huh: I was under the impression we were discussing philosophy, under which an entire spectrum of color is assembled, not physics. We might touch a little on metaphysics, but that's a different thing entirely.

I teach my kids about the Lord. Fuck if I'm going to let some asshole like you do it while he's earning himself pats on the back by clocking in at Sunday School.

:huh: I was under the impression we were discussing philosophy, under which an entire spectrum of color is assembled, not physics. We might touch a little on metaphysics, but that's a different thing entirely.

Umm physics is a branch of philosophy. It is all interrelated.

Peace.

unfortunately you're seeing this conversation in black in white while im trying to show you the million colors. oh well :wave:

Umm physics is a branch of philosophy. It is all interrelated.
Well, they aren't mutually exclusive, but physics is no a branch of philosophy. At any rate, I get your point. Allow me to backtrack and clarify:

The thread started as a conversation about religion, which addresses so many aspects of philosophy. And while it does technically involve physics, (as their is no room for God in physics) this involvement can be dismissed 100% on the grounds that to believe in God is to believe physics exist, and he is the only thing that can break them/ignore them. Therefore, any arguments involving physics are futile.

physics falls under the category of "natural philosophy"

and you people are delusional about what the term God means if you think that there is no room in physics for the concept

Well, they aren't mutually exclusive, but physics is no a branch of philosophy. At any rate, I get your point. Allow me to backtrack and clarify:

Do you agree that science is a branch of philosophy? If you do then by extension so is physics.

Philosophy of physics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The thread started as a conversation about religion, which addresses so many aspects of philosophy. And while it does technically involve physics, (as their is no room for God in physics) this involvement can be dismissed 100% on the grounds that to believe in God is to believe physics exist, and he is the only thing that can break them/ignore them. Therefore, any arguments involving physics are futile.

If only matter and energy exist in the real world and the claim is that God is neither matter nor energy, then God cannot possibly exist in the real world. If God is of matter and energy then God is subject to the scientific method. There are other issues such as logical consistency but all of this has been touched on in the thread.

physics falls under the category of "natural philosophy"

and you people are delusional about what the term God means if you think that there is no room in physics for the concept
There is the Philosophy of Physics, and there is Physics, the Natural Science. The things that led to physics were part of Natural Philosophy, but as physics began to take form it could no longer be called philosophy. There are countless books on physics and philosophy, because they were born of the same schools of thought, but one is not part of the other. You can thank the Scientific Revolution for that.

Do you agree that science is a branch of philosophy? If you do then by extension so is physics.

Philosophy of physics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If only matter and energy exist in the real world and the claim is that God is neither matter nor energy, then God cannot possibly exist in the real world. If God is of matter and energy then God is subject to the scientific method. There are other issues such as logical consistency but all of this has been touched on in the thread.
Oooo... here's the problem. WHen you said you were staying out of our conversation you meant that you had no idea what it was about. We weren't discussing the existence of God, we were talking about how best to enlighten those who are slaves to religions such as Christianity.

I was telling Happy that he can't tell a Christian, "You have no facts, evidence, and no reason to believe in God" and have them immediately convert. He was claiming either "Tough shit thats how i do it" or "Yes you can."

Oooo... here's the problem. WHen you said you were staying out of our conversation you meant that you had no idea what it was about. We weren't discussing the existence of God, we were talking about how best to enlighten those who are slaves to religions such as Christianity.

I was telling Happy that he can't tell a Christian, "You have no facts, evidence, and no reason to believe in God" and have them immediately convert. He was claiming either "Tough shit thats how i do it" or "Yes you can."

i dont do that... rather i present evidence from the religion that is a contradiction against itself. there is no better way to win an argument against someones ideology imo :)

i dont do that... rather i present evidence from the religion that is a contradiction against itself. there is no better way to win an argument against someones ideology imo :)

Unfortunately that's where the apologetics come in and you are told you don't have your eyes open enough to understand, or some similar, vapid bullshit.

This is where I misunderstood. If winning arguments is all you're after, I take no issue with how you go about it: it's your ego, stroke it. However, if you ar looking to educate people, you suck at it.

Last edited:
Back