localMessage limitations

Gr00ve

Veteran XV
Is there a reason that localMessage and messageAndAnim can only play w-sounds with filename of 8 characters or less? Or is that a limitation on my end? Anyway to get around it?

[edit] and by that I mean they can play wbigpimp but not wdickrules, wmkwin but not wmiscfartsorry, etc - so excluding the file extension, it seems to be limited to 'w' and seven extra characters.

Last edited:
hardcoded limit of 7 in 1.11 and 1.40
the code just above the netcode supports up to 31
the netcode supports up to 255
a possibly trivial change to make it 31 across the board but i don't want to encourage this 5150 sound pack insanity

Last edited:
I don't think it's a trivial change since you have to change the netcode.

shorten all filenames above 7 ( 8 with starting w and excluding extension) to 7 (or 8 with starting w)
example:
wayibutterfly.ogg -> wayibutt.ogg

and it will play on LocalMessage(ayibutterfly);

no :| you will hear it with the long filename since tribes will short it down to 7 bytes on localmessage... so spam the long file name all night long and it will work

Great, now every config will have twice as many sound files, and half of them will be duplicates...

The first thing I do when I install a config is delete 5150 so I don't hear constant spam.
Why does every good config come packaged with that crap? It takes exponentially longer to download, and it's annoying as hell.

i dont think any of my configs come w/soundpacks - but 5150 for 1.40 is only 83MB, it's not like we're talking about TitanFall with 40 gigs of sound

edit: i think the binswees installer comes w/5150 but i only did the scripting & the installer, i didn't touch any of his skins/sounds/mappacks/etc (other than optimizing some pngs)

edit2: fire's probably has it too

Last edited:
Back