TWL demo archive - 10,000+ source demos & ~3,600 tribes clans identified by ColBlair - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Tribes 2
Reload this Page TWL demo archive - 10,000+ source demos & ~3,600 tribes clans identified
ColBlair
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 01-02-2020, 21:35
If you want to skip the babble and get to the data, here's the links...

TWL demo archive link: TWL Demo Archive Scrape - Google Sheets

*TWL Clan listing *(filtered for Tribes ladders, if you want to see all TWL clans for all the different ladders they had, download a local copy and turn off the filter on the 'Ladder' column): Long List of TWL Clans - Google Sheets

For those who don't know me I'm an Oceanic player who's been a Triber since a month or so after T1 was released. Played T2 (part of the AU T2WC team), T:V, TA and now still occasionally play Midair.

TWL Demo Archive:

Teamwarfare League (TWL) was one of the main sites used to organise ladder matches for many different types of games.

Quite a few years ago, just before Teamwarfare League was about to wipe their servers and start fresh, I got in contacat with one of their admins and tried to convince them to let me access their FTP to download the demo archive. With a few days to spare before the wipe Nasty Hobbit had downloaded the ~100gb of files.

While the large majority of this was Tribes, Tribes 2 & Tribes: Vengeance demos, there were also many others from the various other games played on TWL (UT2004, Counterstrike, CoD, Warcraft 3, Medal of Honour, Jedi Academy, Battlefield and many others). These other games do not form part of my ID spreadsheet. I have them locally if anyone's interested in recs from one of those other games.

When we finished d/l the FTP dump we had no real place to host it all, and not much of an idea how to identify any of the demos. Most of them had obfuscated file names and there were thousands of folders.

I wont bore you with all the details but with lots of work (including a lot of time spent web scraping the web archived version of the TWL site and cross referencing a csv file provided by TWL) I've managed to ID a large amount of the demos.

If anyone wants to assist further in identifying demos you're more than welcome to help - there is a pretty simple method I use... if I don't recognise a clan tag I look it up on the TWL clan listing sheet. Once I ID the clans involved in the match I look at one of the teams TWL match history (through web archive) and try and find the match. That's about it. Sometimes this isn't possible due to web archive not archiving the page, or archiving it before the match date.. or maybe the demo is a scrim and no record exists online... while I have identified a lot the accuracy of identified demos will probably be somewhere around 90-95% due to some people uploading other recordings instead of the ones associated with a particular match... maybe they played well in a pub, maybe they're trying to show someone cheating.. it was an easy place to host your file. Recs held in ZIP files are the easiest to ID because the original file names are in the zip.. so often that file name is all you need, and the date of that file is usually the match date too 99% of the time.

I have converted quite a few to YouTube over the years and am still in the process of doing this, but probably wont continue much longer (though I've said that before).

My YouTube channel is: https://youtube.com/c/colonel_blair

TWL Clan listing:

While scraping the data for the demos I also decided to make a separate sheet with data on all the TWL clans I could find.

This is certainly not a complete list, but with 3,600 odd tribes clans and 26,000 odd TWL clans in total, it's pretty extensive.

This includes the founder, clan description, links to match history and roster, and clan websites if listed... I've included a web archive link to easily view the old clan sites. However I have no intention of checking each site to verify they are a clan site or they just linked to some other random site.

This could probably be formatted better and if anyone wants to try and make their own you're welcome to do it!

Over the years I've been happy to convert matches of people who have long since left the scene and found their way back through my channel.. I've converted recordings of people's fathers and brothers who have since passed on, and friends who are no longer with us as well. It's been many, many hours of work - but well aware of the rather miniscule number of people who will take advantage of this I think it's time to let everyone know of its existence (I haven't kept it a secret, just haven't really advertised it a lot either), especially now that all the files are available to download. As the host isn't free, I can't guarantee how long I will host it for.. a few years at least.

Hopefully the old Tribers around here can find some matches they were involved in and relive some old memories.

Sponsored Links
Danno
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 01-11-2020, 08:59
Colonel Blair is a kind man.

Sens3LSS
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 01-20-2020, 16:16
Whoa thanks for this!

Gouge
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 01-29-2020, 21:47
This is so dope!

More people need to know about your channel.

ColBlair
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 02-03-2020, 23:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouge View Post
This is so dope!

More people need to know about your channel.
Feel free to spread the word - I'm not sure where else to advertise it really... I feel at this point it's up to the old players to link it to their old clanmates if they think they'd be interested.

Thanks for the kind words

MojoBlue
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 02-07-2020, 13:47
Appreciate the footage! Looks great.

lol
Veteran++
Old
7 - 03-26-2020, 12:07
Just popping in to say thanks for caring and putting in the hard work.

Too much of interweb history that just disappears forever into some dark hole once old sites explode and people disperse.

--Gunther--
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 09-06-2020, 10:24
Nice

g

[SES]BaNsHee
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 12-27-2020, 22:15
So I have a bunch of time over the next week to go through around 400 unnamed demos that I have, mostly of myself, but of plenty of others. I still cannot get the SES and Rapture demos to work. When I open the Tribes 2 Old - Shortcut with the -nologin added, it opens up T2 to a opening screen but just stays there every time. Do I need two separate T2 folders, one for old and one for the newer ones? Any help would be appreciated.

Fling
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 12-30-2020, 23:06
You probably have some cool stuff.

PM Col Blair on here, he is pretty responsive, and clearly knows how to get this **** to work!

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Tribes 2
Reload this Page TWL demo archive - 10,000+ source demos & ~3,600 tribes clans identified

Social Website Bullshit