Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Holy ****]New game: Shattered Horizon
Page 17 of 17
old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
321 - 11-25-2009, 19:11
Anyone play the new content stuff yet? I have this "Arconauts" thing in Steam now.

Sponsored Links
Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
322 - 11-25-2009, 19:37
Played it last weekend (Gave 3 day pass to a friend) on a 60" screen. 1st off, Huge Screen + FPS = Bad Idea. You can't take it all in and are constantly killed by someone outside of your direct vision.

As far as the game. All 3 of us agreed, and it echoes what is already said here.

Looks - Amazing
Skill Requirment - Pretty solid.
Depth - Plenty of Strategic Depth , but lack of weapons/equipment made it feel pretty 1 dimensional

We were left feeling like you got the beautiful shell of a game. An Analogy would be the ET:QW Mod someone was working on for tribes. IF he "finishes it" , we will get 2 maps, 1 Armor, 1 Weapon, Grenades and mines. If thats all we had of original tribes, it would not have felt like nearly a complete game.

Hopefully modders fall in love with the POTENTIAL this game has, and expand its Horizons. :P

Anyways, for $20 its a great deal, and I would buy it tomorrow, except I need $600 in Upgrades to even play the game. So I Guess I am waiting until next year sometime, or I get a nice fat bonus I can blow on a New PC.

Hopefully the game grows instead of dies by then. I think it could have just what Many are looking for in an FPS. Something Different (a la tribes), with heavy teamwork requirments/rewards, and not just another WWx or Modern Day FPS.

Dennis
VeteranXX
Old
323 - 11-25-2009, 23:18
I bought and played it today for a couple hours. The graphics and the freedom to roam are cool, but the zero g environment is sluggish and the weapons suck. It's not very fun, but has the potential to be. The objectives are dumb too and people just roam around or camp and snipe.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
324 - 11-26-2009, 00:00
The game is a foundation to build on... which FutureMark has said they intend to do (free). So, while it's a tad spartan on bulk content, it's foundation is something solid. The difference is that games built primarily on bulk content are only attractive as long as there is new content to explore. When the developer stops shoveling content into the game... the game grows old and gets played out.

Shattered Horizons has gown on me. At first, I was lukewarm to it... which I think many people are/were when they start out. Over time, it's slowly won me over. Sure, I don't like objective based maps... and there isn't much bulk content to explore, but it has a core quality that has me returning to it and I know that content will be added to it so that spartan feeling will slowly disappear as FutureMark grows the game.

It's just very difficult to get a good feel of what to expect from the game when you start out.

As for the "boosting" comparison to Tribes skiing, I'd like to amend that to say that it's more closely matches how Disk Jumping boosts Skiing, rather then Skiing itself (except you glide forever like skiing).

If your not getting it right now... it might not be for you, but the first time your experience in game matches the gameplay trailer video and you're twisting and winding your way through the level slashing through enemies... I think you'll experience a rush of something that I haven't really sensed since Tribes.

It's not Tribes, but it appeals to the same compulsion to play it that Tribes did (for me anyways).

I'm repeating myself when I say that it'll get you equally frustrated as Tribes and like me, you'll be busting out the 4 letter words while playing it at times no doubt. I haven't done that while playing for a long time.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 11-26-2009 at 00:05..
Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
325 - 11-26-2009, 00:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
Anyone play the new content stuff yet? I have this "Arconauts" thing in Steam now.
Acronauts refers to the "beta" group that FM uses for testing. It isn't any additional content... but it is content under testing and you'll notice your "Beta" version of SH has been replaced with the Acronauts one.

Voxx
Veteran++
Old
326 - 11-26-2009, 01:34
I'd like an invite to this game if there are still any available. Almost done with Borderlands and this seems promising. [email protected]

Page 17 of 17

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Holy ****]New game: Shattered Horizon

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
i want to fuck twiggy