VUG's answer on the patch cancelation

i do wish marweas were still employed by vug at the time of launch.

working with the other guys, thrax etc, was a fucking hassle.

guy's not bad tho

Zio said:
There it is gentlemen, there will NEVER be another Tribes game from Sierra/Vivendi.

I hope you're all proud of yourselves. :(

I never want Sierra/Vivendi to ever touch Tribes again period. Give it to a decent dev/publisher.

I bought HL2 through steam and have no idea what the box looks like, maybe box art has some relation to sales but a great game should be able to overcome bland packaging. TV sucked, most people who cared about the franchise knew that from playing the beta long before the retail release, I blame IG for the poor sales its not an impressive game and it sold unimpressively just like it should have. If T2 truly sold 400K than TVs 47k is an incredible failure worse than I ever thought it was, you cant blame them for not throwing more money down that rathole.

When I went to E3 last year, Menzo told me he didn't want me to rebind my keys when trying out Vengeance, and I promptly decided he was an idiot. Too bad I (and a lot of others) were right. :/

the box art had no relevance to hl2 because everyone knew what in general to expect.
2 games into it, and we didn't know what to expect of t:v much less the world.

Honestly, the shit coming towards VUG would be devided by 2 if not more if they just fucking TALKED TO US. We needed to have updates, not misleading promises once every third week saying "dont worry, there is still work being done."

If I heard this 2-3 months ago I wouldn't even really be that pissed.

(because of what happened with T:V - which is totally fair) my suggestion is to not buy on day one. Try the demos, read the reviews, educated yourself on our games (before you buy). If you are unhappy with the games, you should return them.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for your product, you know,like a "we delivered a fantastic product!". You should be fired. Vug should have your heads. THey promoted this game plenty, remember the webcast of those 2 idiots at some press even in san fran? After listening to them, I had a bad feeling about the game.

original Tribes sold 210,000 and Tribes 2 sold 400,000. In its first week, Tribes: Vengeance sold 7800 copies.

TV is nothing like the first 2 games. T2 sold almost half a million copies, so why deviate from that friggen patern? You would think that a game like t2 would be *easier to make these days. See what counter strike source is to the original cs. How hard would that have been?!

Letting go of the weasal was dumb as well, even though he may have his fair share of blame for this mess as well. I asked at uva5 weather or not there would be an ingame browser, which fosters community, like t2. I was told that there would not be, and that the money was being spent instead on development. Is this game the result of having something made in Australia?

On future Tribes games: very difficult to imagine and no one should expect it - but stranger things have happened. It was expressed that the current regime at VUG was very unlikely to greenlight another Tribes game.

This is very sad. Why not sell the tribes name, and rid yourselves of this burden? T2 400,000 copies, 450 person lans selling out in 24 hrs, and you went with TV as the follow up, shame on you for not playing the past 2 games.

Adam tried to work on a message to deliver to the community post-patch cancellation but decided it would be better to not say anything, seeing it as essentially a losing situation no matter what was said. There was concern about an ongoing cycle of discussion over the controversy if answers were given. Ultimately they did decide to answer the questions and have the answers delivered via the forum - and here we are.

So are you going to go clam up and hide now? Or will you defend your work? IG should feel free to post now that its all on the table so to speak.

They had hoped for sales that could at least match and possibly exceed Tribes 2. When this didn't happen, they remained optimistic that sales could be turned around. That, unfortunately, never happened.

You put out an incomplete game 1 week early, and then sat on your asses and hoped it would sell well? You know what the road to hell is paved with right?

If you do reply, please don't use it as another opportunity to bash the company, threaten class action lawsuits and so on. That's not what the thread is for. Thanks.

Your participation in this discussion will determine what the thread is for.

Cheap, evil, rat, whores. My final plea before exiting, anyone out there, tribes will live on, these fuckers tried to kill it, but giving in isn't an option. My ideal would be for garage games to buy the name and add a tribes 1/2 combination conversion into the new torque engine. If I'm ever convinced that will never happen, that will be the last day of playing tribes. HINT the game that sold 400,000 copies was on to something :soapbox:

Last edited:
I won't say anything profound either at this point but I feel compelled to regurgitate my feelings that mimic so many others here:

Death of T:V due to (among others)
1. single player focus
2. skiing feels like crap without carving (some may not agree but dammit I can't stand it)
3. vehicles in general and the way they spawn is horrid
4. no repair kit or TL
5. sub-par marketing combined with box art that was piss-poor

So many other things are just my personal issues with the game. I still enjoy it somewhat but find myself drifting back to T2 classic and T1 most of the time. I don't enjoy the pack functions and their passive/active modes as well, the command map is absolutely horrid and i used it all the time in T1 and T2, grappler (ok I know there is a grappler fan base but I just can't seem to get into it although im sure that means is just "suxors" with it), maps are too limited and since there are so few players now there are few servers with people that have anything new on it, why does the shotgun use energy dammit (of course the virtually useless blaster was not new to T:V)

Sigh..im sure I (or the group) can think of many others. Not really sure why I chimed in other than perhaps a place to vent my disappointment in the product. I don't think releasing the patch would have meant shit in the end so continually bashing them about the patch is useless.

Bah...I'm going back to work...

"HEY GUYS I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!" "What's that?" "Let's replace Marweasal w/ a completely new guy that doesn't have a fucking clue about the tribes franchise and put him in charge of it! You know...the one he knows dick shit about!" "Wow boss, you are a genius, what do ya say I take you out for a beer then we finish working on HL2..."

The problem is that they rushed T:V out the door in the first place. If they had incorporated and polished everything at the beginning, then they would have had a solid game with better sales (far less bitching, no one hanging back and waiting for it to be fixed) and lower costs (not having to run through an entire second round of testing would save money, I would think.)

The gaming industry has fallen into a horrible pattern of trying to sell a product before they finish it. At some point, you simply cross the line where an incomplete game falls down before it takes its first steps. T:V was simply the retarded brainchild of a company that got so greedy they lost their entire potential customer base.

Back