VUG's answer on the patch cancelation

Box art certainly isn't a determining factor for many people when they want to buy a game. But if they're just looking around, the games with the gay box art tend to get overlooked more often than not.

Q. Some people believe the timing of the patch cancellation was designed to thwart people looking to return the game within the 90 day support window. Is there any truth to that?

A. There is no truth to this.
Still, it's interesting that |5150| apparently knew about it months before any official declaration was made.

Q: Why did you schedule T:V's release at the same time Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft, Doom 3 and Halo 2 were released?

A: Uhh...... well..... umm.. you see, it's like...... how should we put it.... errr.... right?

If they spent an extra $500,000 on programmer salaries instead of the licensing Unreal Engine, it would be a great game I bet.

But what is bad now is that the intellectual property of Tribes seems to be split between VUG/IG somehow. Maybe if its taken off of the Unreal engine, since they heavily modified it, it would be just VUGs.

Uninstalled TV yesterday after months of barely playing at all... nice to hear the reasoning behind them stringing the community along for so long. I almost was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I read their answers... makes me wonder how long people can keep their jobs when they pass the blame for all their own failures. Oh well.

glad to finally hear a response... it actually means a lot. I think VUG's fatal mistake (for their credibilty's sake) was not talking to us post release. If we were better connect and informed, man, I wouldn't have F U VUG plastered in my sig even IF the patch wasn still cancelled.

Amadeus said:
They weren't "intuitive".
:huh:

Arrghh, now I remember. Possibly the dumbest reason ever.

If you want something targeted shoot it with the 'targeting laser' If something is broke, shoot it with the repair pack.

Ahhh, don't get me started.

I agree with a wise man who said that the extended open beta was one of the biggest factors affecting sales. He says "why would I go buy a game that I just played for 3 months for free?"

If a human being can be called a "human resource" and become "terminated" or denied access to loans because they are not economically viable, it should be no surprise that a video game could be treated thus also. Sociologically, we should worry much more about the former.

Of all the people to blame, Michael Johnston (KP) is not one of them. The design decisions he affected would be matters of intellectual curiosity alone if VUG had adequately developed and marketted T:V. But since they did not, he is an easy scape goat.

Marweas is a God.

T2 > *

Peace.

My question:
Why did Tribes: Vengeance have such brutal sales?

I'd love to know where they place that blame or what they've learnt.

Yankee said:
The unasked questions that needs to be answered are...

"Whose fault was this, and how do any of you people still have a job?" Failures always require blame to be placed.

Is it assumed that the big mistake was there was any market to begin with? That no matter what product was made, there simply was never enough interest in this series to justify the third title?

or

Did the sales fail to materialize due to the product delivered?
Easily the second option without a doubt. T2 sold, market 'wasnt there', but it sold. TV just was in no ways enjoyable, the demo was just meh.

Zio said:
On a different note, I guess we can all agree now that T2 was a much greater success than T1! :lol:

If you use the same fucked up logic as VUG, then yes. What merits success in a game for gamers and publishers are two different things.

This news, while I'm glad they finally sorta spoke up about the mess, it pisses me off to no end. Someone hack the [strike]gibson[/strike] damn game already n make it free... get the SC while you're at it too.

bf2 and guild wars here i come...
:disgust:

Cheater said:
The game failed in Marketing. Personallities were involved and certain "players" at VUG got their way. I don't want to jump on a bandwagon here but the game failed when Marweas cleaned out his office leaving less enlightened marketers in charge with people in other offices pulling the strings. The final box is a great example and the magazine ad is the other. The people pulling the strings had little to no interest in listening to input from the community.

exactly. Think what you will about Alex, he DID love Tribes and not having him around for the release of t:v is just one of things that helped kill t:v off.

Yankee said:
The unasked questions that needs to be answered are...

"Whose fault was this, and how do any of you people still have a job?" Failures always require blame to be placed.

Is it assumed that the big mistake was there was any market to begin with? That no matter what product was made, there simply was never enough interest in this series to justify the third title?

or

Did the sales fail to materialize due to the product delivered?

I think it's pretty clear they are blaming the average gamer that did not buy the game, since, you know, t:v got great reviews and everthing.

gotta love shifting the blame.

Back