So, has VUGames abandoned Tribes?

Santa said:
Have you seen any real discussion of strategies?
Not here, but I have seen it in other places.

There are some strategies that are for the most part seemingly untapped in T:V. An example is the rover. It's AA gun is very effective against Grapple monkeys and a good driver/gunner team can keep it foing for quite awhile in enemy territory... causing mayhem, random destruction, and allowing for direct assulat deployment.

Yeah, it's a simple consept, but one that's not being used much as far as I've seen.

Hell... start a thread on it.
I know if I do it's just gonna be flame bait.

BitRaiser said:
You wish. :p

I have a morbid fasination with the stupidity of our spiecies.
Entire papers could be written on the subject based on TW alone.

more like your too self centered to walk away from your 15min fame .. that is nowhere to be found .... oh well ... waiting for my good laugh tonight ... see ya then ....

shieldpackman said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLLOL

How is that constructive to anything? This gentleman needs to stop posting he is doing nothing but trolling the thread and flaming BR's every post.

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Let's see... No new players... Tens of thousands of downloads of the free demo and the demo servers are even deader than the retail game.

If new players actually liked the game you would see the player counts going up instead of going down as the new players STAYED. It's called empirical evidence.
Tens of thousands of downloads were started, but we don't know how many of them were finished, and we certainly have no clue about how many people actually played the demo.

It's quite possible that the absence of new players owes to the suppoed 'fresh meat' playing other, bigger name titles (WoW, HL2, CS:S), or them running out of cash before they could even buy the game. For all we know, a thousand players would be playing T:V right now if it wasn't overshadowed by all these block buster games during development and at the time of release.

Of course, I don't have anything to prove that either, but the things I mentioned are just as much empirical evidence as your points.

Btw, last time I checked that graph, player numbers were increasing during whole last week by a bit.

Last edited:
Since VUG is currentlyu sitting on the launch of HL2 - the hottest shooter ever, and WoW - the hottest MMO ever, I think it's safe to say that they're not really focusing on Tribes as a corporation. And to suggest that VUG may abandon Tribes ignores the fact that VUG never really believed in Tribes to begin with. It was a personal crusade by some inside people who cared, but they are all long gone...

Marweas said:
Since VUG is currentlyu sitting on the launch of HL2 - the hottest shooter ever, and WoW - the hottest MMO ever, I think it's safe to say that they're not really focusing on Tribes as a corporation. And to suggest that VUG may abandon Tribes ignores the fact that VUG never really believed in Tribes to begin with. It was a personal crusade by some inside people who cared, but they are all long gone...

This leaves me unsatisfied.....we want the scoop weasle boy!

FWIW everyone i've spoken with (that did play the demo, and finished the download) really don't like the game. Even the 20-30 ppl I know personally either won't buy it just b/c of what happened in 'downgrading tribes' while making it look better (only to see boot's hi-light up when you press space in the air, running back/fro just for mines/deployables/the lack of need for team-vchat --i think i even rember during the demo someone vchat spamming "i need a ride" just b/c they even included it) or either because the requirements for a playable game (not just hardware but even down to the having to reconnect b/t maps bug that some ppl get).

None of the ppl that refuse to buy the game (that I know & speak with) ever said b/c i'm playing hl2, doom3, etc. Although I've had 1 person say they' are playing wow. Like me though, they bought it, tried to support it, etc until it was just plain retarded in how it was unfinished, only a windows-beta-server, and it's Jan (and without the dec patch still) it appears they aren't going to fix it so why not p2play a game where at least you have reassurance (even if it's taking longer than expected) that they are working on it. Unlike this one person, I do plan on playing it again when it's fixed. Although 15$ / month IMO is worth the dev's responding to you and patching important as needed than paying $50 for a game that never was finished and not even communicating that they are working on it.

Not a hater, just tired of waiting like the rest of you. If you're not tired of waiting, then I can only assume you're in denial,or you exploit/like the imbalances caused by pods, grapples, lack of content, etc. (guess it's hard to exploit the lack of content, but i'm sure someone has found out and knows how besides the dev's) That does make an ass out of me but I'm not the first or only person currently doing this on TT (plus i'm nice about it...rofl) :shrug:

Cheater said:
This leaves me unsatisfied.....we want the scoop weasle boy!

T:V saw the light of day because Marweas, Thrax, etc pushed it and made it happen, despite the fact that T2 was a sales bomb. Even if you don't like T:V, people should at least be grateful to them for the fact that it even got made and at the very least the community has a new pallette to paint it's own vision of Tribes with via MOD's and such. At least that's a chance. The alternative was a big fat goose egg.

There's no one currently at VU that knows anything much less truly cares about the game or the genre in general. To them it's just another game IP with a particularly obnoxious and vocal community attached to it that they happend to have somehow picked up along the way to world domination. So...at this point the future of this franchise is indeed laying in this communities hands. While it may be very difficult, it's not impossible to salvage things if people organize and make things happen.

Last edited:
Marweas said:
Since VUG is...

Does anyone REALLY think that Marweas would really take the time to log in here after being fired, so long away from the forums and seeing his vision of the game so trashed by the players?

BTW, T2 was a moderately successfull game release and was in no way a failure. If it was a failure in sales numbers there would have been no way the parent company would have been convinced to make a third installment. It wouldn't have mattered how much someone got on their knees and opened their mouth. Especially after the way they forced T2 out. The game sold exceedingly well even after all their initial launch screw ups.

Why should we be grateful for them totally screwing up Tribes? The very last game is going to leave such a horrible legacy that you can just about be guaranteed there won't be another Tribes FPS game. We should be grateful to them for finding the fastest and best way to possibly kill the Tribes Franchise?

Tribes would have been better off if Marweas never had anything to do with it. Honestly, there was always the possability that another Tribes FPS would be made in the future after T2 was released. It may have been a couple of years before they decided to revisit the franchise but we may have seen some people with REAL vision take it over instead of people like Marweas and Thrax whose vision is what T:V is today. Right now I seriously doubt if you will ever see another Tribes game unless it is many years down the line when someone thinks the stink from T:V has finally cleared.

Marweas and Thrax getting fired was a good thing. It's just that it came too late to save the Tribes Franchise from the disaster called Tribes: Vengence.

PJ you need to stfu, good god.

everyone knows that marweas was laid off, not fired....and thrax was offered a position in LA, but did not want to move and turned it down. You are just bitter no one liked you back at the tribal council a few years ago.

You are 100x worse than Validuz ever was.

Last edited:
[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Marweas and Thrax getting fired was a good thing. It's just that it came too late to save the Tribes Franchise from the disaster called Tribes: Vengence.

Yes, because getting absolutely nothing at all ever again was more preferable.

That's what I figgured you ment. ;)
PJ does strike me as being perty sharp, but he's definatly lacking in the social grace department. "Self obsessed" is a phrase that springs to mind. I don't wonder that he's bitter... he's got the talent to be involved in things (maybe) but there is no way on earth anyone would take him onto a serious team with this crap 'tude he wares like a badge.

Oh well... the crime is the punishment, as they say.

Back