So, has VUGames abandoned Tribes?

:rolleyes:

I've never seen so many sour grapes than I have in this thread.

So much rage against supposed TW hate...

I'll just point out that up to release TW was rather positive in general about T:V; the horrible release and general dislike of the game soured many people to it. HOWEVER, there are few people whose opinions have ever 'counted' in TW who actually bother to complain about the game - instead you get pariahs like PanamaJack whining and whining. The majority of posters on TW don't even think about Tribes Talk and have probably long given up on T:V for one of two reasons, either they were never major Tribes players, decided after trying to deal with T2 that it wasn't fighting with T:V. There are probably quite a few that would play if a patch fixed some of their problems, but people don't need to post on this sub-forum to signal that they may or may not play T:V. In fact the only people that really post regularly on this forum are those that come here to be part of one of two cliques to make themselves feel better, either the 'hate T:V, always hated it because it took out the 10 billion turrets, I've been secretly hoping it would fail for months now' camp, or the 'T:V is the greatest game ever and you are an (f'n filter) that ruined the game for thinking differently'.

As for criticism of T:V, appearently none of those complaining were here to see the souring and attacks on T2 for the first month or two after release. Attacks have been relatively weak and not really supported by the majority of the community because simply put, during the era of T2 - GD's focus expanded beyond Tribes because otherwise it would have died rather quickly.

Just a quick point of note, there are 181 people that have been here since 1-18-2000, 433 since 3-31-2000, 962 since 7-1-2000, 1716 since 1-18-2001. There are 18732 total members of TW, out of that there were 311 people on when I checked - 242 members; from this there were 34 viewing Tribes talk. There have been 1882 members that have visited today as of the time I checked, 3973 have visited since January 1st, 5253 since December 1st, 7425 since 10-5 (wasn't that when a little game called T:V shipped?), 12709 since this day last year.

So yes, I would hazard a guess that this is probably the largest community that has at least a sizable connection to the Tribes franchise. This of course was also why they had all the IG/VU people post here pre-release, a marketing device to try to get the largest community comfortable with the direction the game was going. It was successful at first, but in general did not help as people quickly tired of the game anyways. It did succeed in avoiding getting the dev hung up by their toe nails as dave G/Qix still is to this day due to his almost prima-donna attitude and the fumbled release of T2.

-Striker- said:
whoa whoa a majority of the people do NOT hate the game

when it first came out it got like 80% approval based on tw posts.

when you consider how critical tw is of games it was an overwelming success, then people pretty much stopped playing when the lack of support and player base became clear, and games like wow and CSS came out to sweep away people who were not firmly attatched.

As some people are so apt to point out, TW is hardly representative.

And I bet if that poll were run again, the numbers might be a tad different.

Well, that depends on how much life we can breath into the game (either by modding, mapping or just spreading the word out). And of course the quality of this and any future (if any) patch.

Cheater said:
ah... yes

So I guess we won't run a T:V Tournament at a LAN party anytime in the future.

Thx everyone for your input.
Could still be worth a shot. You might not have a huge turn out, but I'm sure there would be players there to fight it out in T:V.

I'd suggest doing a pre-sign up with an X number of minumum players. If that number is met/exceded, go for it. If not, no real skin off your nose, right?

I would also suggest advertising it in more places than just TW.
There's people in the VUG forums that might be interested as well as planettribes.
It might even be worth trying to contact Guy.Welch to see if he'd be interested in boning up some offical support.

At0m|c said:
Hopefully this patch isn't the last one we're going to see, and hopefully it does a lot to fix the game. The marketing situation won't change but perhaps the large mods coming out will get more people to buy the game and start playing it. T:V competition isn't too great right now though. :(
I love the competition :shrug:

Although there aren't that many teams, I kinda feel like I'm playing T1 again when there is that intense 7-7 rush for the flag + voice communication + playing with friends.

Cheater said:
ah... yes

At least wait for

a) a patch?

b) one of 4+ promising mods coming out (including compmod)

BitRaiser said:
Could still be worth a shot. You might not have a huge turn out, but I'm sure there would be players there to fight it out in T:V.

I'd suggest doing a pre-sign up with an X number of minumum players. If that number is met/exceded, go for it. If not, no real skin off your nose, right?

I would also suggest advertising it in more places than just TW.
There's people in the VUG forums that might be interested as well as planettribes.
It might even be worth trying to contact Guy.Welch to see if he'd be interested in boning up some offical support.

Ok

BitRaiser is giving LAN advice to Cheater....

I can't find the words.....

um....ummm....

nope..can't think clearly....laughing way too hard

MG

Cheater said:
ah... yes

Went to my first LAN at TW-E this past summer. Had a blast playing T2, meeting people, ect. It's too bad this Tribes series turned out to be such a pile of crap. If a really good product had been made I bet the next UVA would be huge.

:\

S'ok BR. MG and I are old friends. MG you made me lol in RL. The kids are looking at me shaking their heads. BR I took your advise seriously and will probably do exactly as you suggested. That is exactly why I call this place home.

MasterGnr said:
Ok

BitRaiser is giving LAN advice to Cheater....

I can't find the words.....

um....ummm....

nope..can't think clearly....laughing way too hard

MG

when did you become a dick?

if there was a lan party that had only t1 and t2....i would go. if there was a lan that had t1, t2 and tv, i'd go....if there was a lan that only had tv....ok i'd still go

Cheater said:
S'ok BR. MG and I are old friends. MG you made me lol in RL. The kids are looking at me shaking their heads. BR I took your advise seriously and will probably do exactly as you suggested. That is exactly why I call this place home.
:huh:

Just when I figured this place was about done (made worthless) people start showing up and saying things with wisdom instead of displaying vast amounts of e-tardom.

What the hell?

RunningWolf said:
I've played tribes since tribes 1 and I never came to these boards untill t:v beta. I knew about TW though.

Stop the complaining and wait untill the patch.

Effing nay sayers.

lol..i'm not waiting anymore; just check back to see if it has ever released. My wait was over when our Jan server payment was due and the december patch was still unreleased. Also; payment for a beta-server ...lol

I was planning on still playing, but 17 days into Jan. and I decided to buy WoW..at least the $ goes somewhere. Unlike the 50$ for t:v.

Like I said though; i might play it as soon as I've seen sign of release (then it's to just see if they actually fixed anything besides addition of PB), I doubt I could talk the rest of my team into coming back though. 9 of them bought WoW the day we canx our server and won't look back.

Of course it could be like the t2-classic patch too; which dropped the player #'s by 50% or more (the 700 that were left playing t2 after classic claimed it saved t2..rofl)...then i'd only have 120 ppl left to choose from. :shrug: which would probably be a % of the one's who think classic saved t2. :roller:

Back