So, has VUGames abandoned Tribes?

?B-MAN said:
And by the way Shieldpackman you make T2 players seem like dimwits to some of the vets you're harking on here. I dont think you realize some of these folks are legends of the Tribes world.

Oh dear...

Were you loaded when you typed this?

:blowup:

Good luck with your LAN Planning.

I know you don't need luck, and if you did you wouldn't know who I am that I should be wishing it to you.

I have been a member here for a short time, but my first visit to this site/comunity was a number of years ago.
At the time, and for most of the years sence that visit I thought that surely this must be the premeare Tribes comunity.
There are several othere Tribes comunitie's that I know of, and that I viset fairly regularly, some I like better than this one, otheres I don't.
But today reading this thread (, or I should say half of it. Thats as much as I could handle.)
I fined that I'm not all that enterested in reading much more "Tribes Talk".

A long time ago when T1 was close to the end of it's hay day.
A relatively large Clan (as clan's go) was run by a good friend of mine.
He wen't by the name of Jezabel (not sure on the spelling it's been awile sence he played.)

Any way Planit MERC (Jez's Clan was actualy called the Shadow Dragoons Mercinary Guild) began to see some hard times.
PPL started going on about how we might be "Doomed", and what could we do to "fix it", "Why isn't anybody in any of our servers?", etc...

I was talking to Jez at work one day, and I asked Him, "What can we do to turn things around?",
"What should we tell ppl to do, that well help get MERC back to full health."

His answere was a surprise to me.
(Untill that day I haddn't realy thought of Jez as a deep person. To me he was just a fun loveing guy that loved to play all the time.)
He said "I don't see the problem. I go into any one of our servers, and I play the best I can, and soon it fills up, and turns into a good fun game that lasts for hrs.".

I just kind of looked at him, and wondered why he wouldn't see the problem as it realy was.
So I asked him if he had been reading the forums, did he know what even our most faithful members were feeling, & saying?
He shook his head, and said "Yes I read them every day.", "Ya know if those folx would stop spending all day posting, and get in the server, play the best they can, just let it fill up, and have some Good fun Games we wouldn't have this problem."

I remember when T2 came out, and the "Hole Tribes Comunity" screemed about how hard it was to get it to run, and how once you did get it to run it wasn't T1, or didn't meet there expectation in some othere way.
I beleaved then that evry one was going to give up on the game we loved.
So I didn't buy it.
Infact a over a year latter My Wife finaly bought it for me for christmass. (I think she got tired of lessioning to me complain about how there just weren't any good clans that were recruiting for T1.)

Still I didn't play it cause when I wen't to do the install sure enough it gave me fits, and I just assumed that "everyone" was Right.
So it sat colecting dust till spring, and for some reason I bought a new Grfx card, and descided to try it again.
It took me a few try's, and a huge Patch D/L to get it working, but when I did I knew that I had been the one who had lost on the deal.
No it wasn't T1. It looked good, it had weared weapons, the skiing, jetting, and shooting were all Muxed around with, and most of the guys I had played with were no longer playing.
But It was tribes...
It took team work, it had just as much of the speed, adrinalin rush, tacticaly aspects, and just plain fun that I had loved in tribes.

I soon found my self a good clan.
I joined, I play for them the best that I can, we have ppl come in, and it has been a good fun team for yrs now.

I think if I were to ask him what to do about T:V Jez would tell me to.
"Join a server, let it fill up, Play the best you know how, and have a good fun game."...

Excellent post, Gideon.

I have a comment regarding the last sentence that I think is relevant: You said 'I think if I were to ask him what to do about T:V Jez would tell me to.
"Join a server, let it fill up, Play the best you know how, and have a good fun game."...'

T1 and T2 were one thing and T:V is another. With T1 and T2, it was like a drug, I had to have it all the time (had to play T1 and T2 every night or something didn't feel right).

With T:V, I never felt that urge to load it up again. In fact, I had to force myself to do so. I never looked forward to it. It was like going to work. :-|

Cheater said:
hmmmmmm......so, come to my next LAN, "let it fill up, Play the best you know how, and have a good fun game."...

OK gotcha :) vgt

I would love to. :D

Oh btw thnx for your contributions, and comitment to My Favorite Hobby. :clap:

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Base servers were rare but not as rare as Base++. About the only base servers were very high ping that I could find.

I think you are mis-recollecting. As I recall there were plenty of base servers, but almost all were listed as "variant".

Mindflayr said:
Well Said. Not the only Solution for this deep hole.. but the Right Attitude for anyone sticking around. Lets "Get er done".

True-dat
How is Comp Mod comming BTW?

Hi Shoddy. (Gid Waves.)
Good to see a fellow BEML Guy, & a MERC ta-boot! (as I recall.) :)

oh my god i can't believe the morons in here that are dissing cheater - the one person that has done more for the tribes community than anyone else here by far.

Those fools haven't met him and donno jack about him. Furthermore, they donno jack about anything.

So Cheater, just dropped in to say wsup. I moved to Hawaii for school.

Anyway, I just fired up T1 for the first time in ages and I suck real bad, but it's fun to play still. It's a shame I won't be able to go to your lans now, but you should keep having them, and my suggestion is to promote T1 as much as possible. :D

Keep it real.

Got Haggis? said:
oh my god i can't believe the morons in here that are dissing cheater - the one person that has done more for the tribes community than anyone else here by far.

They dont have a clue. Probaly the same reason some of these goofs are calling KP an idiot. Good Grief.

It's really nobody's fault that T:V wasn't a huge success. The gaming industry is really almost designed to make it incredibly difficult to make a fantastic game. Everything works against you... Time, Money, Legality...

I do think however, the main problems reside within the game design.

Even then however, how do you design a game that caters to a small group of hardcore fans when the whole point of making a game is to appeal to the masses and make money?

PK....love you man....I'm just playing my pipe here man don't worry about me getting dissed. I gotta earn some new respect here.

BR....these guys are the reason I'm still around....come join us next LAN....we'll have a PK shrine...tell fool and Tef to bring little pics and candles.

Back