So, has VUGames abandoned Tribes?

guy.welch said:
As for the general "post-mortem" of Tribes, I've got a lot of thoughts about it, but have refrained from posting here in a one-off manner.

No offense meant by this question Guy. Did you play either Tribes 1 or Tribes 2 very much or were you introduced more to the game when you started working on the marketing end for Tribes Vengeance? Just curious.

And thanks for posting. Anything is better than nothing.

Yeah i stretched it a little- not too much. It is a cluster map after all, and now its a little bigger terrain-wise than the original T1 version. If you open up T1 and the map at the same time you'll see. People might think its still too small, but it isn't the enormous T2 version and you're supposed to able to play it in spawn gear. Its less 'smooth' now too- and i added another terrain texture.

Santa said:
I'm not sure if T:V will ever come up for air, considering the new Battlefield, Splinter Cell, etc. coming out.

I think that game could put a huge dent in the already wavering clans that like larger'ish team based games. If it doesn't suck, i know of at least 3-4 whole clans that are planning on moving to it from T:V. :(

Ontrose said:
Actually that disaster started from T2. The fact that it sold well only proves that marketing of T2 worked, nothing more. T2 is the only game where i have seen so large community to shrink so fast (T:V never had large community). Free T2 cant even reach the Quake 2 player numbers today.

Marweas and Thrax extended the lifetime of Tribes series, but came in too late to save it. VUG + DaveG/Dynamix pretty much effed up Tribes long before they came in. But for good games i played in both T2 Classic and T:V i thank them.

T2 wsn't the game you wanted. But it had more of a community than t1 ever did. And it wasn't because everyone grabbed a "free" copy of T2, like they did with T1, either. I don't know where the t1 peeps get off saying that t2 killed the community. That's laughable when you look at the numbers - not just the sales, but the number of players still playing even 2-3 years later.

T:V was simply a commercial failure all the way around. And it's again laughable to blame marketing - I see T:V marketing all over the place, more so than T1 or T2.

Umm... granted T:V's player numbers are tiny but 700-800 players at peak for T2 is pretty crappy a well. Especially when around 300 of that number is bots. UT came out before T2 and has had 2 sequels inbetween and yet has triple the number of players. Lets not forget that T2 number were pretty close to UT's when it first came out. You got an 80% drop in player numbers over those 2-3 yrs. Blaming that on T:V is a cop out.

mc-fine said:
Umm... granted T:V's player numbers are tiny but 700-800 players at peak for T2 is pretty crappy a well.

That is total bullcrap. The peak for T2 was around 4000 players online. For the first 6-8 months after release T2 had from 3000-4000 players online at primetime. The first drastic fall off of players came with the horrible next to last patch from dynamix that contained the quick-fix anti-cheat code. Then player numbers dropped to around 2000 and stayed around there until the very last patch that included Classic and then player counts dropped almost 2/3 within 3 months.

T2 had the highest player counts of any Tribes game. Even the heavily warezed T1 didn't have the high player counts of T2.

T2 offered a ton of new things and so much more for players to do and captured a large number of new players to the franchise.

T:V offered much less than T1 and nothing to get anyone excited about the game.

Last edited:
Devo_N said:
T2 wsn't the game you wanted. But it had more of a community than t1 ever did. And it wasn't because everyone grabbed a "free" copy of T2, like they did with T1, either. I don't know where the t1 peeps get off saying that t2 killed the community. That's laughable when you look at the numbers - not just the sales, but the number of players still playing even 2-3 years later.

I think that those who say t2 killed tribes, are the ones who got back into it when t2-classic killed t2 (not so much --killed, but injury would be a way to describe it); then they only saw 700-800 ppl online.
:shrug:

IIRC alot of servers (2 of ours) came down that day and never showed back up.

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
That is total bullcrap. The peak for T2 was around 4000 players online. For the first 6-8 months after release T2 had from 3000-4000 players online at primetime. The first drastic fall off of players came with the horrible next to last patch from dynamix that contained the quick-fix anti-cheat code. Then player numbers dropped to around 2000 and stayed around there until the very last patch that included Classic and then player counts dropped almost 2/3 within 3 months.

T2 had the highest player counts of any Tribes game. Even the heavily warezed T1 didn't have the high player counts of T2.

T2 offered a ton of new things and so much more for players to do and captured a large number of new players to the franchise.

T:V offered much less than T1 and nothing to get anyone excited about the game.

This is true.

Devo_N said:

T:V was simply a commercial failure all the way around. And it's again laughable to blame marketing - I see T:V marketing all over the place, more so than T1 or T2.

more than t1 ever did? this community sits on the pillars of hte t1 community. you can talk about player number peaks, but t1 players were loyal and STILL fight for the game and it STILL has more ppl than t2 active, so frankly, dont diss the nature of the t1 community.

Pachacutec said:
more than t1 ever did? this community sits on the pillars of hte t1 community. you can talk about player number peaks, but t1 players were loyal and STILL fight for the game and it STILL has more ppl than t2 active, so frankly, dont diss the nature of the t1 community.

TW community /= Tribes community, and it constantly amazes me that the TW folks all assume that they are the center of the tribes universe.

Perhaps the T1 players were loyal and fought hard. Perhaps they were the proverbial squeaky wheel that got the grease. And maybe it's got more players now than T2. That's just not enough to qualify it as a great community. One could equally envision the T1 community as being loud, fanatical, and a simply obnoxious minority.

The point isn't really to Diss the t1 community, but to point out that there was a very substantial t2 community, and if you only ever hung around TW, you'd miss that. Sorta like the way a lot of Americans seem to act like there isn't really a flourishing world beyond our borders, where it turns out American beliefs and attitudes are in a distinct minority. And that can be pointed out without claiming that American beliefs and attitudes are necessrily bad.

Devo_N said:
Perhaps the T1 players were loyal and fought hard. Perhaps they were the proverbial squeaky wheel that got the grease. And maybe it's got more players now than T2. That's just not enough to qualify it as a great community. One could equally envision the T1 community as being loud, fanatical, and a simply obnoxious minority.

Excuse me sir but you full of horsehockey. STFU/STFD

This is the Tribes Community....not T1....not T2.

We played T1 to death. Spent countless hours discovering the game. Lost wives, girlfriends, Jobs, and families because we spent too much time on a stupid game.

They promised us a new game:

They sent us Dave Georgeson. He duped us. He lied to us. Ultimately he sold us a game that didn't work....not at all....wouldn't boot. Georgeson had his designers do exactly the opposite of what we told him would work. We fixed it. We polished it. We even played it.

And here we are 5 years later still. As one community. Can you say that about ANY of the other fan sites? Any of the other forums?

T1 and T2 and T:V are the games that brought us here and the reason we come back. So quit tootin' your little T2 horn. Whichever of the Games brough you here is your personal favorite....that's all.

Cheater said:
Excuse me sir but you full of horsehockey. STFU/STFD

This is the Tribes Community....not T1....not T2.

We played T1 to death. Spent countless hours discovering the game. Lost wives, girlfriends, Jobs, and families because we spent too much time on a stupid game.

They sent us Dave Georgeson. He duped us. He lied to us. Ultimately he sold us a game that didn't work....not at all....wouldn't boot. Georgeson had his designers do exactly the opposite of what we told him would work. We fixed it. We polished it. We even played it.

And here we are 5 years later still. As one community. Can you say that about ANY of the other fan sites? Any of the other forums?

T1 and T2 and T:V are the games that brought us here and the reason we come back. So quit tootin' your little T2 horn. Whichever of the Games brough you here is your personal favorite....that's all.

i'd buy this shirt! :D

Back