So, has VUGames abandoned Tribes?

BitRaiser said:
STFU and fix your graphs :p
Some very elementary math errors in there.

I'll fix that in the next patch. Which is due in like... uhhhh... lemme think. Oh wait, there's an outstanding agreement between two third parties. Tobias Oettiker who wrote the free RRDTool I'm using, and my left hand, which has uhm, yeah. uh... Not received enough cash to sign on the dotted line yet...

So. There. Just be patient. I'll release a patch for it anyday soon. End of January. Really...

TheRoDent said:
I'll fix that in the next patch. Which is due in like... uhhhh... lemme think. Oh wait, there's an outstanding agreement between two third parties. Tobias Oettiker who wrote the free RRDTool I'm using, and my left hand, which has uhm, yeah. uh... Is jealous of the love I give my right

So. There. Just be patient. I'll release a patch for it anyday soon. End of January. Really...

Fixed, cause you left yourself open.

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Marweas and Thrax getting fired was a good thing. It's just that it came too late to save the Tribes Franchise from the disaster called Tribes: Vengence.

Actually that disaster started from T2. The fact that it sold well only proves that marketing of T2 worked, nothing more. T2 is the only game where i have seen so large community to shrink so fast (T:V never had large community). Free T2 cant even reach the Quake 2 player numbers today.

Marweas and Thrax extended the lifetime of Tribes series, but came in too late to save it. VUG + DaveG/Dynamix pretty much effed up Tribes long before they came in. But for good games i played in both T2 Classic and T:V i thank them.

Ontrose said:
Actually that disaster started from T2. The fact that it sold well only proves that marketing of T2 worked, nothing more. T2 is the only game where i have seen so large community to shrink so fast (T:V never had large community).

T2's community remained large for a year at least. I remember still having to filter out hi-ping servers for (whenever classic was released/added) and even a few months after. I can't recall the timespan atm but not as fast as alot of games. Then again; i'm unsure of your definition of community. :shrug:

The Tribes: Vengeance MP demo has begun to appear in ALL D-LINK gaming routers worldwide -- quite a score for us this year. Tribes: Vengeance was the game D-LINK used to demo the game at CES earlier this month. I've got pics somewhere here...

We're also on the verge of releasing the game as a digital download with a major partner to be named soon. Look for that in a few days.

Lastly, Tribes: Vengeance will be part of a major Microsoft promotion at retail chains next month.

Otherwise, what can I say? The game did OK, but like many other games released in Q4 2004 we did fewer units than their publishers/developers expected. We're partially to blame -- so many consumer dollars on the PC went to Half-Life and World of WarCraft (which was the biggest PC launch ever) -- which we published just weeks after T:V

guy.welch said:
The Tribes: Vengeance MP demo has begun to appear in ALL D-LINK gaming routers worldwide -- quite a score for us this year. Tribes: Vengeance was the game D-LINK used to demo the game at CES earlier this month. I've got pics somewhere here...

We're also on the verge of releasing the game as a digital download with a major partner to be named soon. Look for that in a few days.

Lastly, Tribes: Vengeance will be part of a major Microsoft promotion at retail chains next month.

Otherwise, what can I say? The game did OK, but like many other games released in Q4 2004 we did fewer units than their publishers/developers expected. We're partially to blame -- so many consumer dollars on the PC went to Half-Life and World of WarCraft (which was the biggest PC launch ever) -- which we published just weeks after T:V
Osnap

Wholy shazbot.
Get this... not only does he return, he fesses up to an oops on behalf of VUG.
Looks like a good score on those deals too.

I guess I'm gonna get flamed since this little burb actually makes me happy.
:shrug:
At least I'm happy(er).
:razz:

guy.welch said:

VUG answers :wave:

I hope to God that you are not putting it on steam. I will be f#$!@ng pissed.

And you forgot halo2 on that list.

www.direct2drive.com

Is probably what he's talking about for digital download, I hope. If it's Steam, while I think Steam sucks, will be good exposure to the HL minions.

EDIT: I hadn't checked the site before I linked, but it's already on their front page! D2D rox, I've bought a few games, very easy no driving around town looking for it, great idea!

Last edited:
finally someone fesses up. that vibes well with me. at least we're not dealing with "the game is perfect"

i just want the game patched, stable and playable and moddable and tribes-able and i think there is a way more potential in the game than any other on the market.

seriously though thanks for at least admitting you guys did something wrong for once. i appreciate honesty on behalf of the publisher.

guy.welch said:

As I know this wont be answered, but I have to ask it anyways ....

If you guys (VUG) knew and planned on putting more $ into the launches of 2 such great titles that you (VUG) knew was going to sux up all the return revenue, why was there such a push to get T:V out the door when several key items where not in place?

Would it not have been smarter (from a publisher POV) to release the game after the initial hype of HL2 or WoW? Then the return revenue "could" have been higher. It would also have giving the publisher/developer time to fix or adjust the key items that are still missing from T:V and allowed for a smoother release. I think it best to say you guys lost 3/4 of your initial fan base (people planning on getting T:V no matter what) due to the laps in judgment in the falter on the release ... like the missing dedicated server bumble .... care to give that a go with some words?

guy.welch said:

Great post guy. Nice to see you have come out of hiding, this actually has given me some more hope.

guy.welch said:

I'll take MS marketing anyday. Dont feel so bad guys, WoW is having its own problems but of course blizzard responds pretty quickly to fixes.

All I know is that Tribes done "right" (yes a mix of T1 and T2) for the MP out of the box with less cheese factor would sell quite well. All we need is a dev team that has a passion for Tribes MP specifically and a publisher willing to back it. I'm afraid thats going to be a hard find. Irrational does have their hands bound by VU and other projects.

There are a lot of dormant Tribes folks, and a lot of them are going to be very critical of the MP specifically. Thats what the suits at VU dont get. Dont be so hard on Guy, hes just web marketing, its not like he was in the group of folks that made decisions on TV gameplay and how to sell and market it.

Most of these marketing strategists really dont have a clue. The gaming industry is very young and in the early stages of massive growth. Habits, tastes, preferences etc are still unknown in many markets. Hell why do you think Valve created Steam. It wasnt just for piracy control.

I'd rather hear what Guy has to say, whether good or bad, then hear nothing at all. Tribes is still like a Led Zepplin of the MP gaming world and still gets placed on all time top 10 MP games of all time

Last edited:
Back