[Patch] Patch, where art thou?!

5 more days left in January folks. Post your judgement after the end of the month. I'd think if the patch was to be delayed we would have already heard something about it.

T2 sucked out of the box true.....and I was one of the ones that had very very few UEs

TV ran out of the box....again true

at least there was a dedicated server that WORKED for T2....using a "beta" after this long is simply stupid and unprofessional

form a game engine KNOWN for its Web Admin.....to have to use 3rd party mods to get it to function (and MAJOR props to Byte for getting it to run) is unacceptable

TV ran out of the box alright.....and we got exactly what they hyped....a single player game

I still have to wonder....did they bork the ded server to try & force us to play SP? or were they just that STUPID?

The ded server on the disk was supposed to work without the disk being in the drive. The fact that it doesn't came as a shock to Irrational just like everyone else.

That much is known.

If you induldge some speculation on my part, we can go a little deeper into what may have happened.
VUG placed or through mis-communication had placed SecuROM on the printed copies without understanding that some of the software on the disk should not be checked.
Irrational was counting on that software to be used as a stop-gap to allow them time to finish their standalone server so they went into frenzy mode to adapt their beta version to work with the released clients.
3 days later, the beta standalone ded server package was released. That took the heat off. Now they had time to do a proper standalone server.
Tweaks may have been done to the netcode that would make it nessasary to update both clients and dedicated servers at the same time. Any gap between releaseing a client patch and the final ded-server would result in outcry and headaches due to incompatibilites. This wasn't that big a deal... the patch was slated for a release in December and while the beta server has it's annoyances, it was providing enough of a stable base to support the players.
Patch was (and continues to be) delayed due to some corprate level foul-up.

So... this leaves us in the current state we are in. The final server can't go live without the patch and the patch woun't get released until those kindergardeners in suits that run these companies get their poop together.

As I said, I'm speculating (for the most part) but the interesting thing is that this whole theory will be proven-disproven when the patch is finally released.
I'll betcha anything that the final standalone ded server will be released at the same time and may require you to use it or patched clients will be unable to connect.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I just spent a good part of the morning debugging and playing the latest version of Annihilation (T1). Good times. Check out the DF server or Blue Sex, and find out how much fun T1 really can be, and how T:V could be if modding wasn't such a cluster.

ZOMG mods suck!

I was a huge Tribes Vengeance fan. I seriously played that game every single day for months... many times a day. I was addicted and very skilled. Yet the unthinkable happened... it began to fall from my grasps. The lack of fan support for the game, the fact that I have no friends that play it... it has just worn me down and I haven't played the game in 2 months now probably. Haven't started the game up once.

If this patched is released when they say it should, even though they've given us release dates in the past, then I will play it again and perhaps get back into it. If the patch isn't released, I will sell the game.

PxR|GrimJack said:
Bit that just might be the best speculation I've heard yet

IF the patch would affect the ded server...then the delay makes sense
*Bow*

I made it about a month ago and have only been filling in details since.
What I like about it is that it will be proven one way or the other. If the patch and release standalone ded server are released at the same time AND ded servers are required to be upgraded to allow patched clients to connect, we'll know I'm on the ball.

Otherwise, it's just fun speculating.
;)

TheGrudge said:
I was a huge Tribes Vengeance fan. I seriously played that game every single day for months... many times a day. I was addicted and very skilled. Yet the unthinkable happened... it began to fall from my grasps. The lack of fan support for the game, the fact that I have no friends that play it... it has just worn me down and I haven't played the game in 2 months now probably. Haven't started the game up once.

If this patched is released when they say it should, even though they've given us release dates in the past, then I will play it again and perhaps get back into it. If the patch isn't released, I will sell the game.

Yep. I won't sell it, unless my crack addiction gets the best of me, but this has got to be up near the top of crappy releases.

If they had only..

*sigh

Wow, Jan 28th and no word of a delay or release. Its either Monday or someone is very late with their delay announcements. I highly doubt anything will be announced Sat or Sunday.

Its painful being a Tribes fan.

They didn't say what year. :D

I think you will find it has probably been delayed indefinately. That means they can get away with never actually releasing it as it is always indefinately delayed. :D

Eventually everyone will forget about it. ;)

Who knows they may release it on monday. (chuckle)

Given that the issue involves 3rd parties, I no longer give any credibility to the "January" claim. OTOH, I have plenty of other games and other things to occupy my time. But I pity the league players who made commitments and can't escape this thing or park it until it's actually ready.

The sad thing about this patch delay is the other delays its causing.

Everything in T:V is on hold until someone gets off the crapper, and scoops us up our turd.

Modders can't do anything, not knowing what the new patch will change and require. Modding is quite the challenge now with little documentation and large time investments, so a partial release of any mod would be a waste of time, and probably out of the question.

Competition is dead. Everyones allready left, or are waiting for a patch.

Mapping seems unaffected, but with everyone waiting on a patch to pick T:V back up, mapping will die soon enough.

Back