[Patch] Patch, where art thou?!

Rodent, dont get me wrong. I'm with ya in most cases.
What's wrong with becoming a monster to defeat monsters is that the people caught in the middle just have more monsters to deal with.
Good intentions don't prevent things from going out of control. If Valve resorts to relying on the same BS lawyer based ways of resolving things... what is the company going to be like in 3 years? or 10?

Yeah, I believe in the artists and the guys that actually do the work. As is in the industry, they are basicly shazzed on. Companies like EA are even worse where they take great talent and turn 'em into underpayed drones while know-nothing do-nothing upper-middle managment suits make crap dessisions and give themselves bonuses.

It's Holywood all over again and something I've seen coming for a long time (I called it 8 years ago, but don't have any way to prove that).

The only real way I see out is to completley change the industry. New revenue streams for development need to be found. New distrabution networks (like Steam) need to be tapped. The costs of Development need to be dropped.

Gargage Games is prolly on the rightish track... but they've gotten almost no support either thus far.

Ok... enough ranting.
We basicly agree.
Eff the lawyers and Eff the people that pay them.

Last edited:
Bit, which one would you take?

a) "know-nothing do-nothing upper-middle managment suits" who hire developers and then "turn 'em into underpayed drones"

or

b) Same kind of upper-middle management suits who can write their own quality programs

Dunno about you, but I'll take b) anytime.

c) the good old days when dev houses made good stuff while waring old torn heavy mettal t-shirts and having friday night keg parties in the office while being financed internally or by private investors.

I remember when games were made first, then they would shop for a publisher and all the publishers climbed all over themselves for the right to put out the product not buy out all the rights first, then hold the dev crew by the balls and squeeze until the shaz drops out the back end.

Yes, but since then gamers' expectations have increased (as did production costs), so now you can't afford making a game for an awful lot of money and then hope that someone will publish it for you. You'll have to find a publisher first, and at that point it's the big fish-small fish relation all over again.

BitRaiser said:
Gargage Games is prolly on the rightish track... but they've gotten almost no support either thus far.

MarbleBlast is going to be included in every new Macintosh that get's sold. That's pretty hip for a bunch of guys in a Garage. GarageGames will go places. I believe that with all my heart. Hell, half of my mates from the Legends dev team now work there...

And just as the big record companies are lumbering to keep up with the electronic age, so are the big game studios. I think there will be benefit for us in the end, and I sure as hell hope that in a few years time, some great indie studio comes out again with a game that will addict me for another 5 years.

'zactly... and that's what has hurt things.

As I mentioned, Garage Games has a perty interesting take on it all. Aquire a lisence for $100 per developer, start working. If you are a pro devhouse it's higher, but still no where near the uber costs of the "big" engines.

Private investors are still findable, but most have been driven out by fear of the big guys. Large Publishers are likely to turn very good products down out of their own self intrests these days (it might compete with something they've bought out... KILL IT, KILL IT NOW!).

:shrug:

Donno... maybe Valve did do the right thing, but it's still managed to hurt the current state of things.

It doesn't always require a "big" publisher to finance a good game. The linux kernel didn't have any "big" publishers that sponsored it, yet it's one of the most complicated pieces of open code on the planet.

All it takes is time.

TheRoDent said:
It doesn't always require a "big" publisher to finance a good game. The linux kernel didn't have any "big" publishers that sponsored it, yet it's one of the most complicated pieces of open code on the planet.

All it takes is time.
And money. As much as possible.

TheRoDent said:
The linux kernel didn't have any "big" publishers that sponsored it, yet it's one of the most complicated pieces of open code on the planet.

So you're not counting IBM? :D

Linux has lots of big players working on pieces of it, because each sees it as a foundation on which their own products can run reliably.

Sun used to claim in the 80's that they were helping the community because they preferred to be a small fish in a big pond to a big fish in a small pond.

When all the publishers are gone we'll have Steam content delivery programs for every game company. The prices will not drop either.

Having said that... VUG still blows.

Overon said:
I'm sure they can release the patch without PB support and just state it in readme or during patch install that PB support was promised but until issues get resolved with licensing it won't be added until then. Simple, direct, and honest. I don't think people will have a problem with that if the situation is explained honestly.

LMFAO....you dont read TW much do you?

thats how the real world might work if it was done with maturity & a tiny bit of tact

let them release anything less than exactly what they promised and they will be crucified (someone file a law suit....they PROMISED!!!)

let them release EXACTLY what they promised, and they will be crucified (well they took to long, we should have gotten more than what they said since it took this long)

let them release MORE than what they promised and they will be crucified (they spent all this time making THIS trash? they should have released what they said they were going to and then developed this later)

sad but true :(

Back