[Patch] Patch, where art thou?!

I still hold that Irrational Games was a contract house, contracted to develope a whole game with emphysis on the SP element and the possiblility of a patch to correct unforseen instances, end of contract.
Vivendi is the publisher, the suits and the money. They hosed up Dynamix, Sierra and now the relationship with Tribes in general. This has been enough to sour the impressions of customer trust and company integrity when I see the Vivendi name on any product.
Vivendi, to me, is the single most, prime reason to warrant and justify a developer only product distribution method such as that that Valve software is attempting to bring about with Steam.
Anything that will cut out the meddling influence of the likes of Vivendi as a middle man, is good in my book.
Customer service, yeah, go back to the books Vivendi.

Firerizer, name a better publisher.
Atari, EA, Microsoft... they all blow and none of 'em care about the quality of the product. The bottom line is the only thing they give a damn about.

Developer distribution is all good, but where are you gonna get the development capital from? You still need money guys and the publishers are currently the only real game going. Other source could be dug up, but investers in general only wanna see safe bets.

The majority of businesses (even Developers) keep focus on the bottom line, because that's what keeps them, well, in business.

Customer Service is a weighed tool based on product success.

There HAS to be a reason to support a product other than "We are nice guys."

In my company, we don't provide "customer service" to customers that haven't payed their bill.

T:V hasn't payed the bill, so they aren't interested in supporting it. It's a legitmate response in my mind. Not the one I prefer, but, noone is playing/buying T:V and to support T:V at this point would just be more red in the accounting department under "Tribes Franchise".

What we need is the community to get behind something like Legends and make the Tribes the community wants. Or mod a BF/CS/UT. That's the only way Tribes is gonna make it, at this point. Cause T:V was our last shot.

Last edited:
I miss the days when projects could be undertaken independantly while the devs all held down parttime jobs. It allowed them to take risks that you just can't do anymore.

I a way, it's our fault as consumers that the industry has gone the way it has. Our demand for bigger, pertier, faster, smoother has pushed budgets out of the grasp of anyone but the fatcats and created a major risk for anything that isn't proven to be a money maker ahead of time.

Same thing happened to the movie industry... Small timers used to be able to get in there and do good stuff that audiances would enjoy. After the boom, the big fish had eaten everything else in the pond.

I don't buy that. There's still plenty of room for small developers, not just in the game industry but in music and film, as well. Consider, in the case of film, the creators of the short film "405":

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,38189,00.html

The only reason you need a big investor is because you want your game out the door quickly and you want a huge advertising budget. Even then, you may get screwed into a typical music contract where you have to front the money for your own production and get a piss-poor share of the profit.

Both developers and consumers need to avoid the big houses and start looking closely at the upstarts, because that's where the real innovation is. But it requires more work, because their work won't be splattered across glossy magazine pages. We have to hunt them down.

BTW, I bought HL2 on Steam and encourage all my friends to do so. Those who bought a box at the store are kicking themselves because of the CD-based copy protection.

(Those who can't start HL2 because Steam is on the fritz should read the release notes, which explain how to run HL2 offline.)

Dear Patch,

Where've you been, long time no see. I know last time we talked, I guess I was a little pushy. I know it must be hard with me always wanting more...

I guess I'm saying that, at this point, it'd be nice if we could just be friends. I'm cool with that. I understand you're a little frustated in that I always want MORE MORE MORE, but I promse this time I can keep it under control...

Heh, long story short, please email me back, still waiting to hear from you last time, wasn't sure if you just didn't get the email. (stupid spam filters). Hope things are well on your end. Please write.

Pach.

BitRaiser said:
I miss the days when projects could be undertaken independantly while the devs all held down parttime jobs. It allowed them to take risks that you just can't do anymore.

What projects have you been involved with?

Take your time with this, I'm really quite interested. I'm looking at hiring some folks and you appear to have some of the qualifications.

Shoot, its been so long I no longer care if there is a patch or not.

I just want to HEAR it from the mouth (or keyboard) of a VUG/IG dude(tte).

This is why people go stir crazy.

Pachacutec said:
Dear Patch,

Where've you been, long time no see. I know last time we talked, I guess I was a little pushy. I know it must be hard with me always wanting more...

I guess I'm saying that, at this point, it'd be nice if we could just be friends. I'm cool with that. I understand you're a little frustated in that I always want MORE MORE MORE, but I promse this time I can keep it under control...

Heh, long story short, please email me back, still waiting to hear from you last time, wasn't sure if you just didn't get the email. (stupid spam filters). Hope things are well on your end. Please write.

Pach.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For the love of God we need a patch right now. Last night we played in a 7 v 7 (*cause only so many members of our team show up) and it felt like I was pinging 400. I had such a hard time trying to duel guys. I just want the FPS and Lag fixed, that is all I am asking for. Tribes is going to die. :ctrlk:

Rayn said:
I'd like to make a post about this on the front page. Who wants to contribute what we should say about this?
Are we talking about contributing in the form of quotes or just thoughts that you'll phrase on your own?

If it's the latter, do mention that the feeling of being neglected is a lot worse than having to deal with some bugs and sub-par performance. I think we can safely assume that TW as a whole is disappointed/outraged at VUG's incompetence.

Umm.... Could we try to encourage everyone to get online Friday and Saturday night to really go at it and have a ton of players filling up the servers? Maybe we can show guys in charge there is still a crowd looking for some action.

something to to the effect of "while delays happen in production, its been over a month since we've had any word at all of a patch that was promised and we feel the community supporting T:V deserves SOME word...even if that word is cancelation of the patch"

word it however...but that general idea I think

And remember to demand an exit strategy: What are they going to do if their unnamed 3rd parties can't come to an agreement? How long will they leave us swinging in the wind?

Back